Amp 20w-30w for great clean tones

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by Rusty Silver, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Yes I've recommended this new Fillmore early in this thread but most members here are Fender and Vox fixated and unwilling to even test out anything else. They won't accept that Mesa Boogie blew them both out of the water on every criteria with a long list of amps starting 15 yrs ago :)

I've not heard the new Fillmore but have no doubt it's another killer amp and perfect for the OP but he's set on another Fender.

Please give us a full review of the Fillmore in a new thread :)

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
    RG7X and Bertotti like this.
  2. Rusty Silver

Rusty Silver Gretschie

Jun 25, 2017
    Italy (Rome and Genoa)
    Ok guys, thank you all for great suggestions and help... at this point of my research I can say that many amps that you've suggested are great but too expensive (for example mesaboogie), others aren't in sale in my area, so for what i could find and test, the 65 Dlx Rev has the tone I prefer. Now its weight is 20.5 kg. I just have to realize if I can afford his weight (at least once a week, sometimes twice, down to the stairs, along the Street, on the car, down to the studio, and back... :) It's a good gym of course... ) Thank you once again and I'll tell you the News! ;)

KelvinS1965 likes this.
  3. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Sorry Vista
    Admin Post
    If you want a Blackface sound and less weight, look into Winfield amps. Winnie’s Elizabeth weighs about 10 pounds less than a Deluxe and can be tubed with 6V6s or 6L6s, so you can get 22 watts, or about 40.

Bertotti likes this.
  4. collama

collama Electromatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Colorado
    I’ve got a thread about the Fillmore 50 over on the gear page and a few people have said that the 50 lacks headroom. It’s apparently a tweed-based circuit and breaks up at band volume.

But you find the 25 does ok. Are you getting clean tones at band volume?

I can’t find one near me to try so I’m really trying to get good info from people who are using them. Thanks!

5. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Can you please post the link to your TPG thread.

When the 50w Express 5:50 was released a few people on TPG said the same thing about lacking clean headroom which I found to be totally ridiculous. They all turned out to be guys playing in very loud funk bands who used 100w Lonestars and Twins maxed out.

For gigging in normal rock/blues situations I've never got close to losing clean headroom on any 50w amp. And if you need extreme clean headroom for a super loud funk band you'd be better off mic'ing to PA anyway imo :)

6. RG7X

RG7X Gretschie

Nov 11, 2018
    Nebraska
    So after reading your comment, I went down to the basement and put the clean channel on max volume / gain at noon and it still retained a very juicy clean tone with very minimal breakup. I'll see if I can post clips if you'd like? Most of my recording equipment is boxed up right now but I can find a way.

7. RG7X

RG7X Gretschie

Nov 11, 2018
    Nebraska
    I've owned way too many amps but the LSS and Fillmore have just been so damn good compared to anything else I've ever played. Everyone has different tastes though which makes music all the more interesting.

Waxhead and collama like this.
  8. collama

collama Electromatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Colorado
    Here it is

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/mesa-fillmore-instead-of-fender.2018073/

9. collama

collama Electromatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Colorado
    No need. I think I’m going to grab one. Thanks!

RG7X likes this.
  10. RG7X

RG7X Gretschie

Nov 11, 2018
    Nebraska
    You'll love it. I felt it was similar to my Blues Jr but then Mesa perfected it and then some.

11. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    ok thanks I read it......
    I found the comments by jklotz to be silly actually.

The Fillmore is not designed or marketed as a Blackface clone so his comment about not being able to deliver a Blackface tone at gig volumes makes no sense to me. He should be praising it for being able to deliver a great Blackface tone at all.

You said in your TPG thread you've got experience with low watt SS amps like blues cube and orange Crush plus you say.....

"This will be for home use, rehearsals and small gigs a blues/rock band"

Well for you I'd recommend the 25W Mesa's.
    You'll find 50w Mesa amps overkill with too much power and volume you'll never use.
    I have a 50w Express and can often use it's 5w setting in small venues.

I've owned a Fender Twin, gigged/played with many other Fender tube amps and moved to Mesa amps 12 years ago. I currently own 2 Mesa amps (Express 5:50 and Mark V 25). I gig with a Mesa Mark V 25 and not got anywhere close to losing clean headroom on its 2 clean voices.

I moved to Mesa cos starting from the Lonestar they started delivering Fender style 6L6 cleans and reverb better than the best Fender amps. The Lonestar, Express, Roadster, Tremoverb, Mark V all do Fender style cleans and reverb better than Fender imo. After release of the Lonestar Classic all the Mesa 6L6 amps had lonestar cleans and reverb inserted.

I've not heard the new Fillmore but expect it would do same.
    But it also delivers the early Santana lead tones from the old Mark 1.
    The Cali Tweed voices to the tweed tones.

But then Mesa gives you x100 more great tones and features on top in a lighter more versatile package for just a little more $$. So for me it's a no contest between any Fender amp and any Mesa Boogie made last 15 years.

Bad luck you can't test them out and decide for yourself :)

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
    RG7X likes this.
  12. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Here's a good review of the Fillmore which puts to bed your concern about clean headroom :)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>