Amp 20w-30w for great clean tones

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by Rusty Silver, Jan 10, 2019.

1. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    All of that looks great!

Bertotti likes this.
  2. Rusty Silver

Rusty Silver Gretschie

Jun 25, 2017
    Italy (Rome and Genoa)
    Thank you for your report. I just have to decide. But I can't decide.

I agree with you about the different sound of blues Jr ... Interesting for me that's a matter of tube types, I didn't realize that before...

Waxhead likes this.
  3. AllenK

AllenK Electromatic

Feb 7, 2019
    UK
    Hi,

Whether these are 'great' clean tones or not would be for you to decide. An amp that might fit your needs is the Roland Blues Cube Hot. 30W amp, compact and not too heavy.

To give an idea how it sounds, here is a clip of it in action. It's a pub gig (excuse the rough recording and playing, my first gig). The amp was on its 15W setting (half power) with volume and gain around 5, so plenty of room to go louder still. The guitar is straight into the amp via a DM-2W for a bit of delay. You can see the amp at one point in the clip to give an idea of size.

Hope this helps

pmac11 and Rusty Silver like this.
  4. Rusty Silver

Rusty Silver Gretschie

Jun 25, 2017
    Italy (Rome and Genoa)
    Thanks man! Nice rockin song! I'm thinking about Roland because I know they have good clean sound, but for now, if possible, I want to find an all tube amp.

Waxhead likes this.
  5. AllenK

AllenK Electromatic

Feb 7, 2019
    UK
    When I got the Roland, the main amp in the running was a Blues Jnr Tweed. Set in its sweet spot, the tubed Fender had an extra shimmer over the Roland. The problem for me was that spot was just too loud for everyday practice at home. Once turned down, it lost it and the Roland came through.

It’s heavier than the Roland but not too bad and similarly compact. If the volume wouldn’t be a problem, well worth considering.

6. RG7X

RG7X Gretschie

Nov 11, 2018
    L.A.
    I currently have a Mesa Boogie Fillmore 25 in my possession and the cleans are outstanding with plenty of headroom. They make a 50W version as well. If you're willing to go used, you can get a reasonable deal on one. Good luck with your search.
    [​IMG]

Waxhead and chicago slim like this.
  7. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Dude!! Tell me about the cleans. Keeps up with loud drummer?

8. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Sorry Vista
    Admin Post
    A 25 watt tube amp can be very powerful. I routinely use watts in the 15 watt range and stay clean. I have a 40 watt Winfield Elizabeth and a TRRI (85 watts) if I want to repel any earthquakes.

pmac11 likes this.
  9. RG7X

RG7X Gretschie

Nov 11, 2018
    L.A.
    I've only had the amp for a week now. I have a LSS and wanted something smaller / more portable so I compared this with a Tone King Gremlin. I haven't played with an acoustic kit yet but I have a Roland TD-25KV plugged into a 300W PA. I cranked it loud as hell in my basement, with the wife on drums and the amp kept up just fine. It has a ton of beautiful sounds and the speaker holds up really well fully cranked up. Surprisingly no mud with the increased bass settings / gain on the neck pup on my hot rod (TV setzers). It doesn't respond like a typical Mesa in that regard.

Henry likes this.
  10. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Thanks! I have a Mesa that does clean at ungodly volumes at 15w; I'd heard the Fillmore is more old school in that it breaks up at louder volumes, but maybe not. I'll have to check one out. Been looking for a non-EL84 combo at 36lbs or less - considering this or a Tone King Mark II.

11. RG7X

RG7X Gretschie

Nov 11, 2018
    L.A.
    The clean channel holds it own really well at louder volumes. The drive channel to me is more of the old school overdrive type of tone with the hi channel coming off a bit Marhsall like to my ears. The cool thing about the amp is you have 2 channels to dial and 3 to select from, meaning you can also set up the channels identically if you want.

[​IMG]

Henry likes this.
  12. Rusty Silver

Rusty Silver Gretschie

Jun 25, 2017
    Italy (Rome and Genoa)
    Great amp! Really expensive for my possibilities... anyway very difficult to find in Italy...

RG7X likes this.
  13. Rusty Silver

Rusty Silver Gretschie

Jun 25, 2017
    Italy (Rome and Genoa)
    Yes, the blues Jr is one of the choice... Perfect for the weight, good for the wattage (if necessary I could mic it) but, to be honest, it's not exactly the sound I love it (I prefer the blues deluxe or the 65 reverb, but they're heavier...) so... I'll have to reconsider everything once again.:D

14. AllenK

AllenK Electromatic

Feb 7, 2019
    UK
    If its not the sound you want, don’t buy. Each time you play you’ll be thinking “this isn’t what I want” and diminish your enjoyment. Sounds like you know what you want but the compromise is on the weight. 65 Reverb is certainly nice.

pmac11 likes this.
  15. stiv

stiv Synchromatic

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    I don't know if it's already been said, but have you considered Ampegs? You could find an used Reverbrocket Reissue or a Jet Reissue with relative ease in Italy at affordable prices. Plenty of headroom and great reverb. Like this one:
    https://www.mercatinomusicale.com/mm/a_ampeg-reverberocket-2_id4688767.html
    Also, I would check this baby out:
    https://www.mercatinomusicale.com/mm/a_sound-city-sc20c-20w-valvolare_id6016271.html
    It's basically a 20w Hot Rod (from a construction perspective) with a decent spring reverb. It's not that heavy and relatively cheap. The overdriven channel is unusable, but the clean one do his job very good.

Rusty Silver likes this.
  16. Rusty Silver

Rusty Silver Gretschie

Jun 25, 2017
    Italy (Rome and Genoa)
    Thanks for your great suggestions... Ampeg is an interesting option and the 66's combo looks great...
    Grazie!!

stiv likes this.
  17. brogh

brogh Assistant Admin Staff Member

Apr 21, 2017
    Around
    Rusty Silver and stiv like this.
  18. Rusty Silver

Rusty Silver Gretschie

Jun 25, 2017
    Italy (Rome and Genoa)
  19. brogh

brogh Assistant Admin Staff Member

Apr 21, 2017
    Around
    Admin Post
    and well .. if you could stretch it a bit to consider a 65, it's a very very nice amp, and it's very very fabulously sounding :) and it will give you most of the classic fender tones. you can find a 65 for 1000 bucks or so used, and you get a very classic and versatile amp.

The mesa above is nice, but it will cost :) tubes & lightness not always go well together, if you want cleans get a twin :p

20. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Sorry Vista
    Admin Post
    I agree. A DRRI is wonderful for almost all functions. If you need something super loud and super clean, by a Twin.

Attached Files:

new6659 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice