Amp 20w-30w for great clean tones

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by Rusty Silver, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Nope, not cheap but not boutique high either you may find your drive pedals going by the wayside though. Honestly, I don't know why I have so many pedals. Fun to play with but my favorite tones are generally my amp at the edge of break up or clean but they do help provide a different flavor. Effects pedals are just fun and good for breaking me out of a rut. I got stuck with too many amps for different flavors then decided cabs/speakers were the way to get different flavors and now I have too many flavors. I really should thin things down but where do you begin.

It's harder when you can't try first, an issue with the remote area the I live. Hopefully, you don't have that issue as well.

pmac11 likes this.
  2. Highroller

Highroller Synchromatic

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Not that it hasn't already been said by 20+ other people, but yeah, a Deluxe Reverb pretty much fits the bill to a "T" there.

You can't go wrong with that one.

3. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    If you are looking for something a little different, the Traynor YGL-2 sounds terrific and meets your specifications. 30w, 40 lbs, Vintage 30 speaker and it is versatile. Great cleans too!

Joe90, Robbie, pmac11 and 2 others like this.
  4. rcboals

rcboals Country Gent

Nov 21, 2008
    Springfield Oregon
    Quilter, kind of like witnessing to skeptics about Jesus. You won't really know until you investigate the facts for yourself. I am not going back and am well passed the honeymoon stage with Quilter. Do your research and decide.

Not only tons of clean headroom, pairs with any cabinet combo, two channels, great with pedals, does blackface, brownface, tweed tones in spades, beautiful reverb and tremolo.

Attached Files:

pmac11 and Rusty Silver like this.
  5. Andy Fortune

Andy Fortune Gretschie

May 24, 2016
    Corning, NY
    Yes, that’s me. The Effectrode Blackbird has an excellent clean channel based on a Deluxe Reverb. It has two gain channels that share controls—the Classic is based on a Bluesbreaker and the Creamy is based on a Soldano. The beauty of it is you can use different tubes to change the character. I run a 5751 and a 12AV7 for the four gain stages, which gives me a very dynamic, but lighter overdrive in Classic. than the stock 12ax7s and makes the Creamy channel sound more like a fat boost. I use an A/DA GCS-5 analog speaker sim to run direct, but you can use it into the front end of an amp, into a power amp or maybe a Quilter Tone Block, or use the 600ohm balanced out direct to a recording device and add your speaker simulation there.
    It’s loke taking the preamp from an excellent tube amp and putting it on your pedalboard. Very versatile.

Henry likes this.
  6. Rusty Silver

Rusty Silver Gretschie

Jun 25, 2017
    Italy (Rome and Genoa)
    Thanks everyone for precious informations... Obviously now I'm more confuse then ever but... I have a lot of options... Anyway Yesterday I played my Gretsch through a Fender Bassman 57 and the sound was magic, the best I've ever heard!! Maybe the Fender deluxe reverb 22 watts (of course with less watts than the Bassman) could sound in a similar way?

Bertotti likes this.
  7. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Yep they're good and just under your weight limit of 45 pounds.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...reverb-22-watt-1x12-inch-tube-combo-amp-black

You'll see they lack some important amp essentials for me.
    - No independent EQs for both channels.
    - No loop.

Also lacking
    - No line out to board.
    - no speaker out option other than 8 ohms.
    - No headphones out.

Do you want / need tremolo?
    Which makes it a heavy small watter with not much on offer except a good clean channel and reverb.

Compare them with the Mesa's.
    I think you'll find their clean tones and reverb are better than anything made by Fender plus you get a load of extras for less weight :)

8. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Gretschie

Jan 11, 2019
    Wokingham
    Does anyone on here play their Gretsch through a Deluxe reverb? I got a '64 Custom Deluxe Handwired last year and it's reduced to 20watts from the usual 22watts of the '65 and '68 models. I played a a set at our wedding party with it on '5' and was drowning out the drums and other guitars, in a fairly large venue.

I also have a 20 watt Marshall Mini Jubilee with the matching 2x12 (Vintage 30) cab and it played a large village hall gig we also did.

I'm just biding my time waiting for my first Gretsch (G5622T) to arrive, so I can't yet speak from experience of using the above with a Gretsch, but they certainly managed fine with a low output Strat feeding them.

9. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    Lots of us playing Gretschs through Deluxe Reverbs. It's a wonderful combination.

Oh, and WELCOME to Gretsch Talk!

PS: Do you like the 64 Deluxe Reverb?

KelvinS1965 likes this.
  10. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Gretschie

Jan 11, 2019
    Wokingham
    Thanks for the welcome Tony. :)

Yes I love the '64 Deluxe: I once played through a 60's Twin reverb back in the 1980s and ever since I've been after some of that rich clean tone in an amp that I can actually carry...this certainly meets the brief.

It got a bit of a bashing on various forums as it's twice the price of a '65 (at least in the UK), but I felt it was worth the extra: I don't usually buy the 'top' model (hence my Electromatic order), but the '64 was the exception.

Sorry for the Gibson (Studio) in the background :D:
    Powered up.jpg

Rusty Silver likes this.
  11. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    I'm a big fan of Deluxe Reverbs and own a few. I have a 70s DR, a new '68 Custom, a Marsh Blackface clone and an Allen Accomplice, which is based on the DR. I like them all, the Marsh the best, but I haven't had the chance to play the '64 yet.

Don't sweat the Gibson, we all got our vices. :)

KelvinS1965 likes this.
  12. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Quilter is like going to Iceland .. you can't just go by the descriptions in the books, you really have to go there. [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  13. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    +1 He speaks the truth

Joe90 and Tony65x55 like this.
  14. Pine Apple Slim

Pine Apple Slim Country Gent

Dec 14, 2011
    North Alabama
    Carr Rambler. Not cheap tho.

Lindo and pmac11 like this.
  15. Rusty Silver

Rusty Silver Gretschie

Jun 25, 2017
    Italy (Rome and Genoa)
    What do you think of Fender Blues deluxe?

16. Rusty Silver

Rusty Silver Gretschie

Jun 25, 2017
    Italy (Rome and Genoa)
    After various test in different stores, I'm actually thinking about three Fender amps (I've finally understand that I'm a Fender amp fan ) : blues junior 15w (maybe too small for gigs) 65 reverb 22w (maybe too expensive for me) blues deluxe 44 w. Does anybody play through these amps? I love the sound of each one, but I'm asking which could be the best choice for live music in small bars pubs...

stiv likes this.
  17. somebodyelseuk

somebodyelseuk Country Gent

Jan 22, 2013
    Birmingham, UK
    Roland JC120... but I don't know what they weigh.

Best clean amp in history.

Freshy likes this.
  18. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    I had one and liked it. Not as much clean headroom but that’s just a personal preference.

19. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Ok I've gigged with all those.

Blues Jnr - no way. Not enough clean headroom for a rock/blues band and sounds very ordinary for a one trick pony imo. No loop, 1 channel, heavy. With EL84 tubes it doesn't deliver the classic Fender 6L6, 6V6 clean tone. Overpriced for what it provides imo.

65 Reverb 22w - the best of your bunch imo.
    While absurdly heavy for a 22 watter this guy has nice cleans & reverb, a vibrato I'd never use and 6V6 tubes. While the volume dials are jumpy and lack ability to accurately control it does have enough clean headroom for a band. It's expensive for a one trick pony imo.

blues deluxe 44w - much better value for $$ but with no wattage control it's probably over powered and heavy for you. Good basic Fender cleans and reverb on channel 1. Channel 2 is virtually unusable for most players. It's very heavy and a good pedal platform cos it has an effects loop which most fenders lack. Suffers again from a jumpy hard to adjust volume pot.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
    Rusty Silver likes this.
  20. GAMBLER1234

GAMBLER1234 Gretschie

Jan 18, 2018
    Henderson Nevada
    I'm 72 and have played nothing but tube amps all my life but I guess even an old dog can learn new tricks. Do yourself a favor and check out one of these.

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice