Amp 20w-30w for great clean tones

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by Rusty Silver, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Setzerhotrod

Setzerhotrod Country Gent

Oct 26, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    Found thus one for you at the Musical Instrument Museum in Phoenix 793A5DFB-E131-4445-94F2-9CDA88BCA476.jpeg

2. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    I'd like to see them reissue that baby!

3. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    You can't go wrong with a fender Deluxe. Try to find a used Fender with 6v6 or 6l6 tubes - Fender is known for it's great clean sounds. The Vox AC 15 has some good clean sounds too but they tend to have a little bit of grit to them which lots of us like.

4. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Well, I am surprised the Quilter guys haven't suggested one of them yet, and in this case, maybe it would be a good choice. I don't have one and haven't played on but I think they even have a pedal sized option.

pmac11 and Rusty Silver like this.
  5. Rusty Silver

Rusty Silver Gretschie

Jun 25, 2017
    Italy (Rome and Genoa)
    I have no informations about Quilter amps... Totally unknown here in Italy, I think... Very interesting, ultra light amps with a new technology between tube and transistor, if I understand the site's explanation...

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  6. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Guy ! You've got the DV Mark amps - an Italian brand... ;)

http://www.dvmark.it/

A+!

pmac11 likes this.
  7. Byron

Byron Synchromatic

Sep 4, 2009
    uk
    Supro? (Duck!) They do some damn loud little amps, the tremoverb seems popular, or the Comet. Not to everyone's approval but worth checking out

8. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    You'll mainly get Vox and Fender recommendations here even though most are too heavy for your criteria. Most people here know I'm a Mesa Boogie lover and will expect what's coming but ...... all my suggestions meet your criteria easily plus lots more :)

Imo Mesa Boogie has been delivering light amps with THE best cleans, reverb and everything else for over 10 yrs. For you I suggest these

Fillmore 25 combo or head
    http://www.mesaboogie.com/amplifiers/electric/fillmore-series/fillmore-25/index.html

Lonestar Special head
    http://www.mesaboogie.com/amplifiers/electric/lone-star-series/lone-star-special/index.html

Express 5:25 combo or head
    http://mesaboogie.com/amplifiers/electric/express-plus-series/express-5-25-plus/index.html

Mark V 35 or Mark V 25 combo and heads
    http://www.mesaboogie.com/amplifiers/electric/mark-series/mark-five-35/index.html

While these amps also do fantastic mid to high gain it's their clean tones and reverb that are most impressive imo. The new Fillmore and older Lonestar series were specfically designed for cleaner tones and are better than anything ever made by Fender or Vox imo. The Express and Mark series amps also have Lonestar cleans and reverb.

They are expensive but you did not specify a price limit.
    But you gotta pay to play at the top end and Mesa Boogie are definitely the best imo.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    Rusty Silver, Henry and Bertotti like this.
  9. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I still want a Mark V 25!

Waxhead likes this.
  10. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Quilters are great. At the moment I have a 200W head for sale..it weighs only a few kilos. My keeper is the Mini 101 head...also only a few kilos. They have moxy on their own, loads of clean headroom, and take pedals really well.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

11. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    "IT IS ALIVE!!!!"

12. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Very cool! Didnt know these were made in Oakland.

13. montereyjack66

montereyjack66 Country Gent

Feb 29, 2012
    LA-ish
    Ampeg. They have several models and clean is what they do! Made for old school jazzers mostly. I also have a Fender Super Sonic 22 which is wonderful on it's own, but I went and put a 100 watt Swamp Thang does Clean REAL WELL, but you still have the Mesa Boogieish option if you've a need for Classic Rock type distortion.

Rusty Silver, stiv and new6659 like this.
  14. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Certain Mesa, seriously. I have the Mesa Express 5:25+. Switchable 5/15/25w. With a loud drummer in a rock band it has plenty of clean. And it sounds great dirty, crunchy or high gain. I have mine set on clean in one channel, edge of breakup the other when I have the Normal push on in my Brain Preamp, then when I use Abby, it gets bluesy overdrive. 46 lbs. (I'm actually looking for a lighter amp that has clean headroom)

Also check out the Rectoverb 25, sounds great but simpler controls for those who don't like a lot of knobs. Also check out the TA-15.

Also made in my town.

Other amps that may work are orange, blackstar, but I don't have much experience with them.

Waxhead likes this.
  15. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Interested in pedal sized amps? Ethos overdrive sounds good, 30w. Someone here had one and replaced it with a blackbird I think which is a pedal amp with a tube. @Andy Fortune?

16. Rusty Silver

Rusty Silver Gretschie

Jun 25, 2017
    Italy (Rome and Genoa)
    Great idea, thank you! I think I'm gonna try a Mesa boogie soon!

Waxhead likes this.
  17. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Do! The Mark V 25 or 35 is several Mesa amps innone and when you learn to tweak it it can do pretty much anything you want. If I didn’t have the amps I have I would already have one.

18. Rusty Silver

Rusty Silver Gretschie

Jun 25, 2017
    Italy (Rome and Genoa)
    Cool! But not exactly cheap...

Bertotti likes this.
  19. stiv

stiv Synchromatic

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    Maybe an Ampeg may well be the real deal. If you manage to find an used Reverbrocket, I guess it has all the features you need.
    I would advise you to also try Hiwatt, but they're hard to find and costy. Real clean machines though. And the 1x12" it's not that heavy.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice