Amp 20w-30w for great clean tones

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by Rusty Silver, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Rusty Silver

Rusty Silver Gretschie

Jun 25, 2017
    Italy (Rome and Genoa)
    Hi guys, I'm searching for a new amp for playng in small clubs, pubs (playng with bassist and drummer) ...

after long reflections :), the amp I need must have:

Watts: at least 20w-30w
    Weight: no more than 20 kg (or 45 lbs)
    Sound: super clean tone (I don't really need ovedrive, I have a good peadalboard)

Thanks for your precious opinions and suggestions...

2. Stencil

Stencil Gretschie

Oct 19, 2009
    Gif-sur-Yvette, or the AF lounge
    Hiya Rusty, three questions:
    1. did you have a budget in mind?
    2. are you religious about using tubes?
    3. are you happy buying used equipment?
    If you can answer these questions, it will certainly help us narrow down the options.
    Cheers,

Rusty Silver likes this.
  3. Rusty Silver

Rusty Silver Gretschie

Jun 25, 2017
    Italy (Rome and Genoa)
    :)

1. It will be my gig amp, so I can afford a medium price (not necessarly cheap, not luxury level)
    2. Yes I am.
    3. It depends by what I can find near my town, so generally I'm happier buyn' new equipment.

Thanks!

4. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Sorry Vista
    Admin Post
    You might look into a Winfield Elizabeth. It can be equipped with either 6V6 or 6L6 power tubes, weight about 35 pounds and has the clean Fender sound, plus the Bright switch which means you can achieve the super bright sound, like a Deluxe Reverb or a somewhat less bright sound.

5. stiv

stiv Synchromatic

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    Hey fella, If you want to contact me through PM, I'm from Firenze and I may have the perfect thing for you. The Cleanest of the Cleans with a classy reverb. It's called Lombardi LC4 and it's on sale. :)

Rusty Silver likes this.
  6. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    I suspect that a potent tube-amp incl. speaker will be heavier than you like.
    20 to 30 watts are not that much if your main goal is a very clean sound.

Stencil, pmac11 and Rusty Silver like this.
  7. Rusty Silver

Rusty Silver Gretschie

Jun 25, 2017
    Italy (Rome and Genoa)
    Really Super cool!! but impossible to find (and to try) in Italy

8. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Sorry Vista
    Admin Post
    You’d have to buy it directly from him. I believe he ships pretty much worldwide.

9. Rusty Silver

Rusty Silver Gretschie

Jun 25, 2017
    Italy (Rome and Genoa)
    Bellissimo!!! Great amp! But a bit too heavy for me... anyway I think about it...

10. Rusty Silver

Rusty Silver Gretschie

Jun 25, 2017
    Italy (Rome and Genoa)
    Maybe you're right, but I wanna try to find it.
    The fact is that I've got a looong way with stairs from home to street (and no other place to keep the amp ... ;))
    So I hope that with a 30watts the cleans stay cleans when I play in small pubs ... Anyway no problem with a little of cranking...

loudnlousy likes this.
  11. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    Perhaps you may want to try out Fender Deluxe. 22 watts, single 12"" speaker. '65 Reissue or '68 Custom Deluxe.

You might also want to look at a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. It's 40 watts but has Fender cleans for days and days and weighs about 45 pounds. They don't get a lot of love at times but I used one for years and did it's job well. FWIW, ignore its drive channel(s)

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    Henry, MotorCentaur and Rusty Silver like this.
  12. stiv

stiv Synchromatic

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    I'm here mate, anytime.
    To be honest, it's heavy but not unsustaneable heavy. I carried it on a couple of european tours in Uk, France, Netherlands and Switzerland and it's been ok. It's not a Vox, to be more specific. Like loudnlousy said, for cleans you need power. For power you need big output trasformers, and they're heavy.
    Grazie!

pmac11, Stencil and Rusty Silver like this.
  13. Rusty Silver

Rusty Silver Gretschie

Jun 25, 2017
    Italy (Rome and Genoa)
    Fender Deluxe 22w could be a good choice...

dilver and gruffydd3 like this.
  14. Rusty Silver

Rusty Silver Gretschie

Jun 25, 2017
    Italy (Rome and Genoa)
    Does anybody test a Peavey classic 30? What about clean tones? Comparable to Fender cleans?

Henry likes this.
  15. gruffydd3

gruffydd3 Electromatic

Nov 3, 2018
    maryland
    I tried out the classic 30 and the deluxe. The Peavey is a nice amp, but the Fender won for clean tones. I've had it for about 3 months now and I'm real happy with it.

Rusty Silver likes this.
  16. Jet_streamliner

Jet_streamliner Gretschie

Nov 21, 2017
    Minnesota
    I’d recommend a Koch Jupiter Jr. I own the larger 45w version, and it’s a great amp! Nice cleans & dirty sounds. Very versatile & not a back breaker. It’s a hybrid amp (12ax7s and solid state power) but it sounds great.

http://www.koch-amps.com/guitar-combo-jupiter-710219.html

Stencil likes this.
  17. Stencil

Stencil Gretschie

Oct 19, 2009
    Gif-sur-Yvette, or the AF lounge
    I am not at all qualified to talk about clean tones, given that I'd have a hard time recognising one if I heard it.

However... given your objectives and constraints, I'd encourage you to try the Laney Lionheart 20W with a 12" Celestion. (The amp in the linked review is the 2X12 -- I own the 1X12, which is noticeably lighter.)

Otherwise, if you don't mind going offshore, I'd strongly endorse Ceriatone, based in Malaysia. They started out as a kit provider, then moved on to providing finished product, and increasingly using their own designs. Their CEO, Nick, is a Cornell U engineering grad. Their value proposition in terms of design, component quality, assembly quality and price is second to none. They only really fall down on brand recognition, but even there my local French amp tech speaks highly of them.

I bought a OTS lunchbox from them (a Dumble-style 20 W amp head) five years ago, and it did the Dumble 3D thing to the sound as advertised and has been reliable. Nick was a joy to deal with, even indulging my whim for hot pink tolex on what was then their flagship product.

Enjoy the shopping!
    Cheers,

Paul in Colorado likes this.
  18. dilver

dilver Country Gent

Feb 16, 2009
    NJ
    +1. I have a Fender '65 DRRI and it will give you plenty cleans. You might just want to budget for a better speaker. I use an Eminence Cannabis Rex and it's smooths out the spiky treble of this particular model of Deluxe Reverb, really nicely.

hcsterg likes this.
  19. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    My Kustom all-tube '36 Coupe
    Light enough, loud enough...with great cleans and screams....and can be found used for $200-$300 bucks...not to mention cool as heck, visually

Love this amp and it has it's own unique sound...Fender meets Marshall with a dash of Peavey.....just wish I had the red one too:cool:

Attached Files:

iowa and Alberta_Slim like this.
  20. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I have a Delta Blues 1x 15" and it has great clean tone, its a heavy sucker though but manageable.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice