Amazon delivery carriers

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Teledriver, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Teledriver

Teledriver Gretschie

Feb 12, 2011
    Iowa City, IA
    Just saw that many small carriers for Amazon are cutting jobs and closing up, because those carriers can't meet Amazon's standards. Earlier this year/last year (?) Fed Ex told Amazon to to go screw yourself, we're tired of bending over backwards for you. UPS didn't take the bait, and won't do it either. Amazon is starting its own carrier service, and are upgrading a warehouse facility right next door to where I work, that Proctor and Gamble owned until they sold it to them.
    Much as I like the convenience of Amazon, and am sorry for these delivery companies and employees that sprang up but can't meet the standards Amazon wants, I have to say Amazon is getting too bossy, too much 'our way or nothing'. Then they encourage another spring-up company, then push them aside after they can't meet the standards, and on and on. Use 'em up then spit 'em out. I see Amazon starting up their own carrier as the only way they feel they can compete with.....who?
    When I was younger, 70's/80's/90's, things were always advertised as "4 to 6 weeks for delivery". Have we because so impatient now??

ZackyDog, thunder58 and new6659 like this.
  2. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Amazon will eventually hurt themselves and another online company will overrun them. They need to realize a lot of people will jump for a competitor only because the word is spreading on how poorly they treat their own people and the people the contract with.

3. Groutsch

Groutsch Gretschie

Jun 9, 2018
    Maryland, US
    The Amazon drivers are getting into more accidents, too, as they rush around town trying to meet their timetables. Amazon uses shell corporations to minimize its liability for traffic accidents.

4. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Just like the Domino's Pizza guy

5. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    All I know is Amazon stock closed yesterday at $2134.87

6. Drifter

Drifter Gretschie

Dec 27, 2012
    New Jersey
    Yeah I am pretty sure another company will not take over Amazon. I was on the NJ turnpike the other day and there was this large storage yard with at least 500 brand new Amazon delivery vans. UPS sucks, FedEx sucks and the USPS, well it sucks too. What Amazon has that these other carrier do not have is a replacement policy that is freaking stupid good if the package is damaged or delivered to the wrong address.

7. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Amazon is opening another warehouse near Indy. They seem to be moving a lot of product. I've heard their delivery scare stories, above and beyond the dreaded porch pirates. I'd be more concerned that when they achieve enough market saturation that they'd start charging for shipping.

blueruins and Bertotti like this.
  8. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    Amazon needs other shipping options. I have Prime and "free 1 day" is great, but I don't need 1 day on 90% of my things! 3 day, but with prime deliverers would be nice. You can select a less than one day option, but then Amazon often hands it off to the USPS, which I have trouble with. So I continue to just use the 1 day... and it's a waste of fuel and time etc. The result is they may come up here ( I live in the country) 3 times a week to deliver one little widget.

Bertotti likes this.
  9. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Yes, I am impatient now.

10. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    You can always choose slower delivery. In fact you often get some sort of store credit.

Oftentimes when I return low value items, they refund me but tell me to keep it - not worth shipping back.

11. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    Good points but at my ripe old age of 55, I still don't want to wait 4-6 weeks for something. A few days---that's OK. I'll wait a couple of months if someone is building something for me. But if an item is in stock and on a warehouse shelf, I prefer it sooner than later.

12. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    Yes, but as I said, Amazon then opts for USPS instead of just delivering it with the next package. I have a lot of trouble with the PO;
    -They wont leave a package in my box sometimes,
    -they wont drive to my door as it's "too far".
    -I get an email saying "delivery attempted" and I have to drive 10 miles to the Post office.
    -Often the PO doesn't know they have it. I have had to point out a package for them laying on a shelf 20 feet away after they say "it's not here". Because I recognize the shape of a guitar neck package... etc.
    :mad:
    it's ok with me if they want drive/deliver a single item worth $10 every time... but it's idiotic...

13. rake_ether

rake_ether Electromatic

Aug 24, 2019
    Athens, GA USA
    I'm not sure if I'm too impatient but I just got the notice that the amp I bought on Reverb has shipped today and I hope I'll receive it yesterday. ;)

14. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    That's a pain. Sounds like the reasons Amazon is doing its own deliveries.

swivel likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice