Am I ready?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by mschafft, Nov 8, 2019.

1. mschafft

mschafft Synchromatic

Jan 19, 2017
    Switzerland
    Kind of on the fence with this one. Custom shop 2012 Tele black with binding and rosewood neck. Minty condition with case $1900. The most expensive guitar I've ever bought cost much less... Any thoughts?

2. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I love Teles, I love the notion of a simple slab of wood with 6 strings. I think it's one of the few guitar models where you don't have to spend a fortune to find a good one.
    But if it tugs on the heart strings, and you can afford it, more power to you. :)

wabash slim and section2 like this.
  3. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Any pictures?

4. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I have an Aerodyne strat top bound rosewood board basswood body black it is great and I seriously would love a black Aerodyne Tele to match it. So obviously I am going to say go for it as long as it doesn't break the bank and isn't reliced. Any agin done needs to be done by me on my guitars I can't stand even the thought of buying one already worn in.

5. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Friend of Fred

Pics would help, but then when it's about looks, it's still your call.

Finances are a whole different subject. I never thought I'd buy a Tennie, but when one came up used at my local mom & pop store, it played it, put money on it and took it home the next month. The opportunity, and my financial condition at that time made it possible. Maybe it could happen for you, too. :)

6. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    You can easily spend a lot of money for that „simple slab of wood“ :rolleyes:

F5A7A1E1-9495-4D34-92A0-3B7F55449803.jpeg

Robbie, new6659, Bertotti and 5 others like this.
  7. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    It's beautiful, but goes far beyond what I would consider a simple slab...:)

Stefan likes this.
  8. Jeff67

Jeff67 Electromatic

Nov 3, 2019
    Crockett, Texas
    Love to see a pic!

9. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I love that wood binding look. Is it real or faux with the paint scraped carefully?

10. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    No, that‘s a faux binding- you‘ll see the scraped round edge of the maple top on the swampash body. The all nitro body finish was an expensive job but worth every penny!

Merc likes this.
  11. afire

afire Country Gent

[​IMG]

I've had a few Custom Shop Fenders and in my experience, if the specs suit you, they do not disappoint.

12. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    6340684F-C2F1-48E9-8110-66C017A451D0.jpeg
    Oh my, tell me about that Tele....Please

Merc and Stefan like this.
  13. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz

Bound Teles, never owned one but I would love to. Post a pic.

14. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    Robbie and Merc like this.
  15. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    It looks fantastic and matches the neck perfectly. My Vox SSC-55 semi-solid has the faux binding as well. Not sure why I don’t see more guitars out there with it. No worries of binding problems too and looks custom to me.

@mschafft Sorry to side track. Have you been able to play the guitar in store or is it available online? I’d say go for it if it’s no financial burden. If you’re a bit selective on neck shapes and stuff, it’s sometimes best to play first if you can. Unless they have a good return policy.

Stefan likes this.
  16. Wayne Gretschzky

Wayne Gretschzky Country Gent

Aug 27, 2008
    East Coast
    Boy... I agree with that, and have never understood the attraction of a Custom Shop Tele. I'm in the process of making my own "custom" Tele by compiling parts that are specific to my desires and needs. I'll have a talented luthier friend assemble them, and it will play great... at a cost of about $1500 all in.

Ricochet likes this.
  17. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Ohh exciting, more details! If that is a no expenses spared, all out assembly rivalling one of CS quality, that is not bad at all.

I happen to assemble one too right now It’s a bit more pedestrian compared to yours, but even then I’ll probably end up at approx $700 bucks. I just want something better than MIM or yet another Squier CV without having to pay for US made.
    Brand new Original Fender body. Unknown make flame maple neck. Custom wound Q-pickups, ABM cut bell-brass Tele bridge, brass control plate, etc. Luckily I just about know how to cut a nut myself!

18. toddfan

toddfan Synchromatic

Mar 12, 2012
    Kansas
    To me, if I was "on the fence" about something it would mean the most likely correct answer is: "No".

Henry, Bertotti and mschafft like this.
  19. mschafft

mschafft Synchromatic

Jan 19, 2017
    Switzerland
    Thanks guys, that's food for thoughts. I'll take some pics in the shop if I can.

20. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    That is a good statement, for me it depends on why I am on the fence. Is it because you really don’t need it just want it? Finances a bit tight? Family obligations need priority? A lot of different things. I will convince myself I am not going to do it then a week or two later go back and reevaluate. If financially I can do it, obligations are covered and I really wish I had done it then I go do it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice