Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Am I just being sensitive or would you have the same reaction?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Wrench6, Jun 28, 2018.

1. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    Afaik Schaller tuners are still made in germany and precision made. I don't think the Gotohs are bad, but they're not in the same class. Your 3k guitar should have the better tuners as long as they're listed because the Gotoh tuners are cheaper.

2. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Gotoh are made in Japan?

3. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Yes

Henry likes this.
  4. somebodyelseuk

somebodyelseuk Synchromatic

Jan 22, 2013
    Birmingham, UK
    If it's a case of 'not as advertised' that's fair enough.
    If you think it's a quality issue, you couldn't be more wrong.
    I've had Schallers that were fit for nothing more than the bin straight out the box, and a 35 year old Tokai still going strong on it's original Gotoh hardware.
    When it comes to Schaller versus Gotoh, I'll take Sperzels every time. I wouldn't buy either brand as a replacement, but if a guitar came with 'em fitted, as long as they do their job properly, I wouldn't be bothered either way.

5. musicman100

musicman100 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2008
    england
    So just return it for a full refund then

6. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    Personally it would annoy me but if I liked the guitar I would leave it as is. Again, that's my opinion and spending 3K on a guitar gives you the right to get the instrument you want/expect.

I would at least send an e-mail expressing your dissatisfaction but I do expect the disclaimer may leave you with little recourse.

I hope you continue to enjoy your new guitar.

mrfixitmi likes this.
  7. Drifter

Drifter Gretschie

Dec 27, 2012
    New Jersey
    If you bought it from Sweetwater as new, then they should have emailed you the pictures of the guitar then made for the website. They always show the back of the headstock.

8. Wrench6

Wrench6 Electromatic

Jun 20, 2018
    Huntington
    The guitar shipped the same day that the pix were sent. What do you see in the image, aside from the Gretsch logo?

http://www.gretsch-talk.com/threads/new-member-1st-gretsch.174983/

9. Drifter

Drifter Gretschie

Dec 27, 2012
    New Jersey
    I don't see schaller but I do see Gotoh. I saw other Sezter models (same as yours) on Reverb as brand new having Gotoh tuners as well. Maybe Gretsch changed the hardware for 2018 but did not update their website yet? But FWIW, I would be a bit pissed, not at Sweetwater rather Gretsch.

10. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    You paid for all the advertised features. The pricy Schallers, too.
    So the should deliver the guitar as advertised or give you your money back.
    It is like ordering a luxury car that claims to feature leather form cow-skin that is delivered with faux leather on the seats.

11. Wrench6

Wrench6 Electromatic

Jun 20, 2018
    Huntington
    Indeed, I did pay for what's advertised. And, indeed, the Schallers are still made in Germany, instead of China/elsewhere as are the Gotohs. However, it did annoy me and grind me a bit, but the reality is this: The number of lefty G6120SSU models available is highly limited. This guitar came directly from Gretsch/FMIC, and not from Sweetwater's inventory.

The guitar is flawless in fit, finish, and playability. It's everything that I hoped it would be. The machine heads work properly and being harangued with shipping it back and the possibility of the new guitar being absolutely destroyed in shipment (as we all know how that works), keeps it plugged into whichever amp I choose and never in its case, since it arrived here at the house.

I've spoken with my guy at Sweetwater, and we're good. No hard feelings on any front. As I said a few times earlier, it's not a crippling issue, simply an annoyance with spec and expectation upon purchase.

Henry and Oldfingers like this.
  12. YourBlueRoom

YourBlueRoom Gretschie

Jan 25, 2017
    Nashville, TN
    I don't think you're being unreasonable at all, but I have a bit of a tuner fetish so I'm always hyper focused on this type of thing :)

As I’ve observed the 2015+ revised Setzer models over the past few years I’ve seen some with Schallers and some with Gotohs. This has been true among SSUs, SSLVOs and Hot Rods. Honestly I wish they would have just kept going with the Sperzels. I assume the change was a measure to streamline parts across the line. I’m quite sure Bryan didn’t request the change o_O I personally love Gotoh tuners and hardware, all great stuff imho. What I can’t stand is the tuner button they chose. Both Schaller and Gotoh offer a variety of tuner button styles that are more attractive than the one they picked. I guess they can be swapped pretty easily anyway. And that’s one nice thing about having the Gotohs – they offer a true vintage style oval button if you wanted to make it look more like a real ‘59. I don't think you can get that on the Schallers and definitely not the Sperzels.

[​IMG]

Henry likes this.
  13. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Thanks for this. I actually don't like the oval buttons and been shopping around but this is the first pic I've seen that showed this many choices.

YourBlueRoom likes this.
  14. speedicut

speedicut Country Gent

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    I'd be a bit miffed too Wrench but if the rest of the guitar is as fantastic as you said I wouldn't let the tuners ruin it for me.
    But that's me..

15. Charlie westside

Charlie westside Gretschie

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    Nope, not being sensitive. Things should arrive as advertised. like a kid waiting for his/her dream toy a on Christmas day and then receive the fake knockoff instead. Disappointing. It's natural and you should be compensated for that.

16. reverb11

reverb11 Gretschie

Jun 11, 2008
    London, Ontario
    It really seems like this is a recent production guitar and the specs have changed before the advertising caught up.

Just to muddy the waters a little, I have always disliked the look of Sperzels on Setzer 6120s (not Hot Rods) because they don't really fit with the look of what is, in many ways, a vintage reissue guitar (and yes, I know they are on these models because that's what Brian prefers), so I am not above sweating the small stuff.

I don't really think Gretsch or Sweetwater is guilty of anything inappropriate. And it probably doesn't amount to a case for financial compensation.

That said, I hope it all works out in a way that satisfies you.