Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Am I just being sensitive or would you have the same reaction?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Wrench6, Jun 28, 2018.

1. Wrench6

Wrench6 Electromatic

Jun 20, 2018
    Huntington
    Hey guys, I have one nagging issue with my brand new G6120SSU. which is really a G6120-BSNV-ORLH. But that's not the issue. Or is it?

Every SSU ever advertised, is advertised with Schaller Locking Tuners. Even my guitar was "advertised" as having them.

What does it have on it? Gotoh locking tuners...

My son's BC Rich Metal Master Kerry King V came with Gotoh locking tuners.

I mentioned it to my Sweetwater rep. He's going to convey the issue with someone in the FCS higher echelon.

I'm kinda miffed...

Would you be?

Talk amongst yourselves.

Reedlvr and MKunie like this.
  2. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    I would definitely prefer the Schallers over the Gotohs personally, and advertising one thing and delivering another isn't cool, especially when what is delivered is significantly cheaper than what's advertised... The Gotohs I've had weren't bad, but they didn't seem in the same class as the Schallers in terms of smoothness and solidity.

mrfixitmi and Wrench6 like this.
  3. musicman100

musicman100 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2008
    england
    First world problems

Stefan and BorderRadio like this.
  4. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Surely it's false advertising if they sell you a guitar with certain specs and then switch components for cheaper stuff? Yeah, I'd complain.

Robbie and Wrench6 like this.
  5. Wrench6

Wrench6 Electromatic

Jun 20, 2018
    Huntington
    Of course it's a first world problem. The fact that we're posting on an internet forum about expensive guitars, amplifiers, and other miscellaneous musical equipment, is a testament of our first world situation/status. The fact that I'm discussing a $3K guitar purchase also solidifies that sentiment.

Given your profile pic, I'm guessing that you're not wallowing in third world squalor yourself.

Should I be sympathetic to third world issues, after the fact that I purchased a $3K guitar, or before?

Anywho... I'll leave you to continue with your third world woes and keep on with my first world issue of whether or not we should be irritated when we pay the money that we pay for an advertised product and get a lesser quality product in its place.

6. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    If you bought a Gretsch on reverb/ebay/etc. listed as having TV Jones and it came w/ Blacktops you wouldn't try to get some kind of recompense for the differential in value and function? Both serve the basic function of transducing string vibrations into electrical signals...

Ultimately any complaint about the vast majority of non-essential products is going to be a first world problem when it comes right down to it. That doesn't make it any less valid of a complaint.

19MGB76, Flouswa and Wrench6 like this.
  7. Wrench6

Wrench6 Electromatic

Jun 20, 2018
    Huntington
    That's the way I see it. I was given the "reason" as, "Maybe that's what they had on hand at the time."

What was on hand at the time isn't my problem. When we fork over hard earned money for a high-end product of this level, we should be purchasing the quality that is advertised, not "what was on hand".

MKunie likes this.
  8. musicman100

musicman100 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2008
    england
    If it's a genuine **** up surely yo can you send it back n get it sorted.

9. musicman100

musicman100 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2008
    england
    I would simply send it back

Sid Nitzerglobin likes this.
  10. johnny g

johnny g Gretschie

Sep 2, 2017
    union, ms
    Man I can't understand a Sweetwater rep saying that. Go up higher in the food chain.

MKunie likes this.
  11. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    I guess it's lucky the bucket of Gretschbuckers wasn't closer.

12. Wrench6

Wrench6 Electromatic

Jun 20, 2018
    Huntington
    Nothing against him. It was just him speculating. He is taking up the Fender food chain to see what's up. He and I are friends and he's 100% customer driven. We were just talking about it, actually.

As for sending it back: That's not going to happen. What I expect is a shipment of Schallers. ;)

Sid Nitzerglobin, johnny g and MKunie like this.
  13. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia

Schallers and Sperzel tuners are the best imo - so yes I'd want a swap :)

MKunie and Wrench6 like this.
  14. DougCraft

DougCraft Gretschie

Apr 24, 2018
    Pensacola, Florida
    I would not fret over it (Shallers might well be better, but all are made in China now, and I have had decent performance from Gotoh tuners), and if I had played the guitar and found it bonding with my fingers and soul, I would likely keep it and perhaps ask for some kind of adjustment in price. I do not know what model tuners came on the guitar, but a quick check of Schallers vs Gotoh showed perhaps $30 difference in price for the best available after market 3 on a side set. Almost every product in the universe has a "specifications subject to change" clause in the description.

OTOH, I am not you. So, do what you will and send it back.

reverb11, BorderRadio and Wrench6 like this.
  15. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    If the Guitar is happenin, feels good in your hands, stays in tune, and inspires you........I personally wouldn’t let the locking tuners(assuming they are doing their job well)bum me out.

But if it bugs you, it bugs you and will continue to.

Stefan, Henry, Wrench6 and 1 other person like this.
  16. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    You paid for a product, did it have a disclaimer saying changes may happen, I doubt it. If not getting what you paid for bothers you return it or get an adequate refund to make the change yourself. Sweetwater may become much more helpful once they realize they are losing a sale.

Wrench6 likes this.
  17. Wrench6

Wrench6 Electromatic

Jun 20, 2018
    Huntington
    Don't get me wrong, the guitar is phenomenal. I cannot put it down. The variation of tones that we can get through these guitars is really unbelievable. With the proper amp settings there's no tone that cannot be achieved with (at least) a G6120.

It's not that the tuners aren't doing their job or an impediment upon my playing, it's just an issue with spec and expectation of purchase.

Sid Nitzerglobin, Bertotti and TSims1 like this.
  18. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

Then they need to make it right for you. And I’m sure they will.

Wrench6 likes this.
  19. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Doesn't bug me, and many spec sheets have a disclaimer that says 'subject to change without notice'. This isn't like advertising TV Jones and getting GFS/Artec. But I get it if tuners are on that same plane for some folks. It would have to go back in that case.

wabash slim likes this.
  20. Oldfingers

Oldfingers Gretschie

Nov 2, 2015
    Brainerd, MN
    The couple of times I have had a problem with a product from Sweetwater they have promptly taken care of it. Great customer service!

ishtar, mrfixitmi and Wrench6 like this.