Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Am I Highly Sprung ...?

Discussion in 'Streamliner Gretsch Forum' started by MarkyMac, Dec 6, 2017.

1. MarkyMac

MarkyMac Gretschie

Does anyone else find the stock Bigsby trem spring/arm on your Streamliner particularly stiff?
    I'm no expert, but compared to other trem arms I've played on other guitars, (Makes) these seem really stiff. Is it the same on all Gretsches?
    Is is good or bad?
    Could 'too soft' tempt dive bombing yourself out of tune?
    Do Gretsch players develop a Shwartzenager right arm over time due to the workout? Even the ladies?

I read somewhere that the standard Streamliner Bigsby spring can be easily replaced with a 'Reverend' stock spring. Has anyone tried this?
    Cheers - Mark

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  2. Moleng1

Moleng1 Synchromatic

Jul 5, 2014
    Vancouver, B.C. Canada
    LOL...................... I'm sure NOBODY here has tried this!!!.....................

Tongue in cheek of course!! I think somewhere on here there's a 6 or more page discussion on the "Reverend" spring.

I change my Bigsby spring on every guitar I own to the Reverend spring.

I'm sure others will jump in soon, but I think it's the best $10 upgrade you can make!!

3. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    I also changed all my Bigsby springs to Reverend Soft Springs, made quite a difference.

Moleng1, Mag3, Henry and 1 other person like this.
  4. MarkyMac

MarkyMac Gretschie

Aha... thanks chaps.
    Does make you wonder why they fit such stiff springs in the first place, if lots of folks change them.
    Bet the folks over at 'Reverend Springs' love it.

5. Henry

Henry Friend of Fred

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Yep all about the rev spring. I have one incoming as we speak. $10, no charge for shipping, handling or tax to California.

Mag3 likes this.
  6. MarkyMac

MarkyMac Gretschie

Hey Audept. Could you please advise where in OZ might I find one? I'm also looking at replacing the stock nut with a Graphtech TUSQ Nut. I may be able to find a supplier who can send both and save some freight?
    Any ideas? Cheers Mark

7. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    I bought the springs direct from Reverend in USA. USD$60 for 5 springs and shipping. Not sure where to get the Graphtech nut from. sorry to be unhelpful.

MarkyMac likes this.
  8. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Friend of Fred

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    I misread the title and thought this thread might be about the Spandau Ballet song.

MarkyMac likes this.
  9. Synchro

Synchro Super Moderator Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Admin Post
    No, but their guitarist had a custom spring on his Strat. :)

I can understand the desirability of a softer spring, although the way I use a Bigsby the stock spring is just fine. I think it just depends on what you are doing with the Bigsby. I use the Bigsby to add a bit of shimmer to a note, for the most part, so I barely touch the handle and it does just what I want. Occasionally, especially on Surf, I use it for a dip in pitch, but the stock spring is ok in that setting too.

Robbie likes this.
  10. Henry

Henry Friend of Fred

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I ordered it Monday and it has already landed.

11. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Understand that by making it move more freely you may make other problems more obvious, bridge, nut, break angle and such. Its an art getting a Bigsby to behave like you want......sometimes you just get lucky though.

MarkyMac and Moleng1 like this.
  12. Moleng1

Moleng1 Synchromatic

Jul 5, 2014
    Vancouver, B.C. Canada
    I've never had any of these problems while using the Reverend spring, in fact it cured a few problems I was having,

I still think it's the best bang for the buck upgrade you can add to your Bigsby equipped guitar!

MarkyMac and TSims1 like this.
  13. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Admin Post
    Perhaps my experience has been the exception, but I’ve never had any problems with a Bigsby, not a one.

MarkyMac and Pete66 like this.
  14. Moleng1

Moleng1 Synchromatic

Jul 5, 2014
    Vancouver, B.C. Canada
    I've never really had a problem with a Bigsby either, I just prefer the Reverend springs feel to that of the stock Bigsby.

MarkyMac likes this.
  15. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Admin Post
    I can understand that, they are sprung rather stiffly.

Moleng1 likes this.
  16. MarkyMac

MarkyMac Gretschie

Wow. Everyone has certainly 'Sprung' into life over this one.
    Thanks for the input folks.... most interesting.
    I should point out that I have a 'budget' Streamliner Gretsch, so maybe the stock spring on the more expensive Gretsches are a little better. As I'm new to electric guitars/Bigsbys, I just find it so stiff that it's hard to get any 'feel'... especially soft feel. And everything seems to stress and groan a bit back there.
    I'm going to try to source a softer Reverend spring and give it a go... although finding one is proving a little difficult 'Down Under'.
    Thanks again for the thoughts and tips - Mark

17. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Admin Post
    It could be that the licensed Bigsby uses a spring with a higher spring rate. The behavior of a vibrato tailpiece is influenced by string gauge, bridge height and the geometry of the instrument. Add in the various ways different players use them and it’s no surprise that we have different preferences. Of course in Australia, the reverse Coriolus force might change things dramatically. :)

For me, it’s been simple, 10s or 11s on all my guitars, the short spring with one shim and a Chet arm. I keep the action low and the touch is light. I use the Bigsby lightly, barely a rub to the top of the handle, most of the time. I dive-bomb at the end of one song, but that’s it

You might post in the Buy/Sell/Trade section in case one of the guys has one they’re willing to ship your way. It

MarkyMac likes this.
  18. Mag3

Mag3 Synchromatic

Nov 22, 2016
    Massachusetts
    Wow, white pants after labor day. What a fashion faux pas!;)