Alright confess who owns one?

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by Roy Clark, Dec 11, 2019.

1. Tele295

Tele295 Country Gent

Fender’s partnership with Gretsch killed their interest in Guild/DeArmond. It’s too bad, because I liked some of the FMIC Guild instruments

2. Tecelaster

Tecelaster Electromatic

Sep 7, 2016
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I'm a bit late to the party here, but I thought I'd ask for some advice from you fine gents..
    I think I last posted here on GT a few years ago about a Guild Manahattan which i had ordered, but it had build problems so I then went for a Gretsch Electromatic which I really liked, but had to sell again for various reasons. I seem to be drawn back to Guilds....don't know why.
    Anyway, long story short - there's a late 90's (?) DeArmond Starfire Special which has caught my eye in local listings. It's the same tobacco sunburst model as shown in Roy Clarks' initial post. There's no case included but from the photos it looks in decent condition. Seller is wanting £450, but it's about an hour travel away. Do you folk think that's a fair price? (assuming that there's no undeclared surprises). I've read all the debates about the 2K vs 2000 pickups, but I'd guess that the sound of these pups is bright (?). Can the neck pickup get a bit more mellow like a good p90 can? Thanks in advance.

3. Groutsch

Groutsch Gretschie

Jun 9, 2018
    Maryland, US
    I recently paid $500 for my Starfire Special with DeArmond case, which I think was a good deal, so the price you're seeing looks reasonable depending on the local market. You might check reverb.com or ebay for alternatives, but it's nice to try before you buy if you don't mind the road trip.

The DeArmonds have bright voices, which can be dimmed with their tone controls. The 2K pickups on the Starfire Special seem rounder and less trebly, to my ears, than the Gold Tone humbuckers on the Starfire. I don't have enough experience with P90s to compare them, but here's a video of a Starfire Special getting a mellow jazz tone, apparently from the neck pickup:

Tecelaster likes this.
  4. Freshy

Freshy Synchromatic

Sep 30, 2017
    Homosassa FLA
    Tres DeArmond

[​IMG]

That ^video^ I would guess has more to do with the amp or effects he is playing thru rather than the Starfire. Also it looks like the Starfire in the video has no pup toggle. Mods maybe?

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
    Groutsch likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice