Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Allright....Malcolm Young Guitar...Master built by Peter Hampl Mojo Instruments Germany...Mal Jet.

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by Mal Belford, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Mal Belford

Mal Belford Gretschie

Apr 4, 2016
    Sweden
    I dont know...ill see when i unsolder one connectio and messsure it...

But the pickup is Mo Tron F by Peter Hampl Mojo Instruments..more Donington Razors tour....and yes im very pleased with it...also replaced the HS Filtertron on my G6131 MYII with the Mo Tron F....

So to say...never bothered to meassure them...as they do what they are made for...;)...i like em....they got more mids and tighter bass than the HS Filters, and remember i like the HS Filters to.....huge differences between them....no..little yes...as i mentioned.

But if meassured...only one pot full...and at the jack it is 7.5K Ohm, the other MYII 7.6 K Ohm.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
    30CalGunner likes this.
  2. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    I think it's a beautiful guitar . In fact , I don't know how I missed this thread back in September . Enjoy it Mal

Mal Belford likes this.
  3. theacdcguy45

theacdcguy45 Electromatic

Feb 20, 2010
    Idaho
    Beautiful Gretsch! I'm also a huge AC/DC fan.

I have a 2007-ish MYII-Malcolm Young signature that I love, but just isn't quite right. I found a pair of '68 Filter'Trons and they made a difference, but it still wasn't right. I removed the Badass bridge and added a Bigsby with floating space-control bridge, but it still left me wanting. So I routed out a middle cavity, installed a third pickup and push-pull pots with coil taps, but it's still not right. I also rewired the whole guitar (many times, trying many different configurations).

I contacted Peter last week -- the guy who made your guitar -- and placed an order for a Burns replica tailpiece and a Mo-Tron pickup.

If I still don't get the sound I'm after, I may have to remove the top and hollow out the body. I know that the MY signature guitars weren't made to the same specs as the vintage guitars, so I think that may be affecting my sound.

4. theacdcguy45

theacdcguy45 Electromatic

Feb 20, 2010
    Idaho
    7.5K/7.6K output? Damn. My 68 Filter'Trons measure 4.15K/4.16K.

5. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    These things are all relative. Twice the resistance in KΩ does not equal twice the output. It's probably just a little beefier than a standard Filtertron. :)

6. branny

branny Electromatic

Feb 10, 2013
    Uk
    Malcolm's pickup needed repairing at one point and he got it wound a little hotter at around 6k.
    Just enough to give it that twangy growl!!