Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Allright....Malcolm Young Guitar...Master built by Peter Hampl Mojo Instruments Germany...Mal Jet.

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by Mal Belford, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Mal Belford

Mal Belford Gretschie

Apr 4, 2016
    Sweden
    Damn...this is a Dream come true for me.....

Long long story..short or.....started a few years ago, searching for Another Gretsch, i a huge Ac/Dc Fan, and played in a trib band since 1994, yes Ac/Dc (own stuff indeed Aussie style of rock) got the Gretsch G6131MY II, and a White Falcon G6136T replaced the Bigsby with a Cadillac G.....

now i felt something missing still...searched, found several G6131 from 1963, various conditions and all that, and so on, some descent prining, some in helluva poor condition, and no guarantee for beeing a good guitar (yes vintage dont Always meaning still a good guitar, and theese can vary...i know as ive tried a couple)..

.oh well to shorten this story, i stumbled on this guy, Mojo Instruments germany, last year by accident...ill ashure you ive searched the internet, yes there is a few that done this kinda build...but Peter Hampl do stand out on theese ones..., as he builded a few allready, and yes Played in a Ac/Dc Tributeband, and yes big interest in Ac/Dc, and he knows the Gretsh Jets....and by judging his previous work, repairs, building, other guitars, and all that, well, he fell in my choice to get the job, discussions went....and so it Went....it shure took a while, but damn im happy, as i know well known stuff and build do take time and cant be rushed.....Oh Boy...im In Love...

This one is built with Old Specs of a Jet.....
    Body and Neck Mahagony.
    Fretboard Ebenholtz (ebony) with MOP inlays, Stainless steel frets.
    Custom made Mapletop 3 ply.
    Mo Tron Pickup based on the old Filtertrons back in the sixties, but Little hotter.
    Mal Bridge based on the Gretsch RollerBridge, and the trem is based on Burns but without the spring function....

Enough talking and Writing...here goes...damn black finnish is hard to take pics on..as soon as uou touch black Surface and dust is seen sharply LoL....

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Yes and it playes like a Dream...it is strung with .13-.56, and adjusted allready for it as Peter got my preferences during the build.....and hell yes it is a truly a Beast.....

MTurner, speedicut, JCarno and 6 others like this.
  2. Wozob

Wozob Country Gent

Jul 6, 2014
    The Netherlands
  3. j.s.c

j.s.c Country Gent

Aug 19, 2008
    france
    Is part of malcolm'S sound comes from hollowbody vibes that can pass through pickups holes ? Does it sound different with a plastic sheet over the holes... I ve always wonder an answer to this sacred question about St malcolm

Mal Belford likes this.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Mal Belford

Mal Belford Gretschie

Apr 4, 2016
    Sweden
    What i can say after theese few days of testing.....

The Malcolm Signature Gretsch G6131MY very little to do with the orig specs of a 1963 G6131...two different guitars.....

As ive tried old ones from sixties....

And yes when no electric it is more accousric sounding as it should be ;)

Due the hollow construction and open holes...

6. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    That is a such a cool guitar Mal,congrats again sir!

Mal Belford likes this.
  7. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
  8. fender62custom

fender62custom Friend of Fred

Mar 3, 2012
    Helidon, Australia
    Sweet Jet!! looks beautifully made!!! congrats!!!!!

Mal Belford likes this.
  9. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Impressive build. Congratulations!

Mal Belford likes this.
  10. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Great workmanship in that guitar, congrats on achieving your dream!

Mal Belford likes this.
  11. Uniblob

Uniblob Gretschie

Jun 21, 2015
    Baltimore
    Okay, that makes sense. Never really understood the missing pickup thing.

That is a beauty of a guitar. Congratulations.

Mal Belford likes this.
  12. musicman100

musicman100 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2008
    england
    Interesting guitar. Enjoy

Mal Belford likes this.
  13. 30CalGunner

30CalGunner Electromatic

Mar 4, 2012
    USA
    I've been thinking about getting one of these instead of chopping a legit Gretsch up. How is the feel of the guitar? It's it just like any other vintage Jet Firebird or Duo Jet would play?

14. Mal Belford

Mal Belford Gretschie

Apr 4, 2016
    Sweden
    Its better than the vintage ones...all is new...right angle...precicion...all in old specs.

Cause a guitar is vintage doesnt mean its a great guitar...many cases the opposite.....as many looks like they forget that somtimes....

Yes and talking theese old ones from the 60ies....

And not to mention hard to come by...

Just to cut a short story...i found one old -64 Firebird several yrs ago...looked great on pics...fsntastic...asked for more pics..other angles and close ones...
    Reveiled horrible things....the wordt one were the neck/body...the neck needed a reset....and fretjob...and last new binding around neck joint...
    So deals of for me...to much and no giarrante that it would be a great guitar...

I know several also that are damn fine speciments.

This new one...well...it is a fantastic guitar, in craftmanship...all that...impressive...as its meant to be played on....

30CalGunner likes this.
  15. 30CalGunner

30CalGunner Electromatic

Mar 4, 2012
    USA
    I have definitely been there with vintage being really crappy. I was just wondering since you're the only one who has anything up about these guitars. Thanks!

Mal Belford likes this.
  16. Mal Belford

Mal Belford Gretschie

Apr 4, 2016
    Sweden
    Ive ran in to a few that play on Peters Jets...and all are very pleases with theirs...one of them plays a candy transparent red one...looks damn cool..no chrome plugs...just holes...

One real good thing thats good with Peter Hampl...he is a good guitar player too...as he plays in bands...and even teib Ac/Dc...as Malcolm...And Angus depending on projects he is involved with....he shure knows hos business in theese guitars...

30CalGunner likes this.
  17. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    Congrats, looks pretty cool. I'm sure this one is a real real well built guitar. Would you let us know what you've paid for this masterbuilt, if you don't mind?

Mal Belford likes this.
  18. Mal Belford

Mal Belford Gretschie

Apr 4, 2016
    Sweden
    This one costed me 3600€....i big chunk of money...but worth it....

It is my major guitar now....

Stefan likes this.
  19. 30CalGunner

30CalGunner Electromatic

Mar 4, 2012
    USA
    Out of curiosity what's the output on your pickup?

20. DrumBob

DrumBob Friend of Fred

Feb 2, 2011
    New Jersey
    I don't quite get the concept of having two empty pickup cavities, I'm sorry to say, but if the OP likes it, who am I to criticize? I realize he was trying to replicate Malcolm Young's guitar. It's just not appealing to me at all.

30CalGunner likes this.
  21. 30CalGunner

30CalGunner Electromatic

Mar 4, 2012
    USA
    To me it's the uniqueness of it. I'm pretty sure that's why a lot of people like it. It it pretty butchered. But thats what makes it cool to me. Plus I guess when Malcolm took the two pickups out it really changed his sound just because of how the guitar resonated the sound.

Mal Belford likes this.