Alamo amp

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by bobkat, Jun 12, 2008.

1. bobkat

bobkat Country Gent

Jun 2, 2008
    Valparaiso Indiana
    Hey yous guys, Does anyone have any expirience with Alamo amps? My cousin just was given one that was in a dumpster! It works! It had 2 preamp tubes and 3 power tubes. It is a combo with a 15 inch speaker and says it is 80 watts?! There are only 3 knobs on the front and 3 imputs. Volume, treble and bass.

2. getbent

getbent Super Moderator

Jun 1, 2008
    sunny california
    There are several models of cool Alamo amps. They were made in San Antonio. I've owned 3 of them over the years. Some have the 'death cap' design so be careful if it is a two prong cord! You do not want to be the ground!

They are generally pretty funky lofi amps and use funky tubes (most still available) most are true point to point... I had one that had really cool grainy trem and sounded pretty good. The enclosures are usually pressboard etc and I have not found the speakers to be super high quality...

One of mine died and I tried rebuilding it... but it was just too wild to trace all the problems down and resolve them.

hmmm an 80 watter??? that sounds like it could be some loud, raunchy magnatone style goodness!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice