Ageing chrome knobs

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by stiv, Apr 14, 2019.

1. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    So does stomach acid. Maybe swallow it and see how it looks when it comes out. :)

stiv likes this.
  2. Byron

Byron Synchromatic

Sep 4, 2009
    uk
    Apparently urine works too. Allegedly.....plus it helps make the drummer leave enough room on stage

3. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    Sorry if it was mentioned early but the right stuff and safe stuff to use is "PCB etchant" aka Ferric Chloride. apply w rag and wash off w water.. any electronics/hobby shop has it. This 51' pbass hardware was "Aged" using this process.
    [​IMG]

new6659 and stiv like this.
  4. stiv

stiv Synchromatic

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    Thanks fellas. A lot of good advices.
    As soon as I get my knobs back, I'll give them a try.
    Grazie!

5. somebodyelseuk

somebodyelseuk Country Gent

Jan 22, 2013
    Birmingham, UK
    Chrome and gold are ALWAYS plated on top of nickel, and they're very thin coatings.
    Muriatic acid is 'consumer grade' hydrochloric acid.
    Dilute it down - acid in to water 50/50. Seal the open end of the knobs, so the acid doesn't get in and place the knob in a solution shallow enough that the open end is NOT submerged. The chrome will 'fizz for a few seconds and go dark grey. When it's silver again and stops fixxing, im,ediately remove the kmobs - you've dissolved the chrome.
    NOTE; The base material is almost certainly zinc dies cast and the plating in the area where the shaft goes is very thin. If you don't seal this area before you start, there is a strong chance you will dissolve the knobs.

As stated elsewhere, the best way to remove gold is metal polish. Gold doesn't dissolve in anything 'Joe Public' can buy at a store.

You can waste your time artificially aging nickel, or you can play the guitar for a couple of weeks and see it age on it's own. It tarnishes very quickly, which is why they started putting chrome on top of it.

new6659 and stiv like this.
  6. somebodyelseuk

somebodyelseuk Country Gent

Jan 22, 2013
    Birmingham, UK
    'Safe' is not a word I'd have used.

7. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Every old '50s Gretsch i've had had beautiful chrome. I had a Vette that the pickguard disintegrated on and it had nickel looking knobs that were pretty tarnished.

stiv likes this.
  8. Scooter127

Scooter127 Gretschie

Feb 25, 2019
    USA
    Coke has phosphoric acid, and has a pH of 2.2. Our stomachs have hydrochloric acid and pH ranges from 1 (stronger than 2) to 3.

Coke and balled up aluminum foil is GREAT for removing rust from chromey things, like 70's bumpers. It's not even an urban legend, it really works.

/1 is stronger than 3 in case y'all don't know

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice