After a while , when you get down to it ....." gear is gear "

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by thunder58, Jul 16, 2019.

1. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    I honestly didnt think there was a single Pinto still running....next you are going to tell me about a friend who still drives a Pacer:eek:

2. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Gretschie

Apr 28, 2019
    Metro Detroit
    Ha, Here in Detroit there is an event called the Woodward Dream Cruise. It's the largest "car show" in the world--basically a millionish people, lots and lots of cars cruising/parked along 15-20 miles of Woodward (I live about a mile from Woodward). And you see all kinds of cars. Certainly a lot of vintage and muscle cars, but also oddball cars you don't expect to see. I know I've seen Pacers. One of my friends has a hotrod Chevette (and he loooooves the Dream Cruise).

T Bone and larryb like this.
  3. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    My Dad was a big man; 6 foot tall and 285 lbs. He always owned Lincoln Towncars...One day he pulls up in his new ride...a baby blue Gremlin....WTHey??:eek: Yeah...he ditched that one pretty quick:D

lp_bruce likes this.
  4. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    You and I hear bands and recordings and are used to a certain level of quality that comes from using a certain level of gear. Recording artists and engineers are very picky. I'm not sure they always pick one thing over another because it costs more or supposedly has higher quality, I find they pick it because it does exactly what they want it to and often, quality goes with that. And having worked with a few, I think there is a tendency to choose quality recording gear over anything else.

And then there's Boss - I've seen so many of those "rig rundown" type videos where they look at a pedal board and boutique pedals rarely dominate if ever. Boss is on many boards. Billy Duffy's philosophy is "I don't want to put anything on this pedal board that can't be easily replaced"..."It's useless if some guy in a shed in Montana is the only guy who can fix it". Lots of Boss on his boards.

ruger9, Mr Swisher and lp_bruce like this.
  5. markeebee

markeebee Country Gent

See, I was wondering if I'd enjoy all The Ramones albums less if Johnny used a Peavey Bandit.

larryb and stevo like this.
  6. Gretschman2

Gretschman2 Country Gent

Apr 8, 2013
    Enetai, WA
  7. Poeticas

Poeticas Electromatic

Jun 24, 2019
    Florida
    I love Engelman Spruce, it sounds very much like German spruce.

blueruins and LivingMyDream like this.
  8. Poeticas

Poeticas Electromatic

Jun 24, 2019
    Florida
    I recently switched from playing classical to playing electric, and I find all these different pedals and amps a bit daunting and confusing. I thought it was hard to finally get a good tone out of the classical, but all this electric stuff is confusing. I once saw an interview, I think it was Zak Wylde talking, and they were talking about how less is better. He said Jimi Hendrix wouldn't sound as good in the modern day era because back then they only had a few pedals, so they had to get the most out of it.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
    thunder58 likes this.
  9. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Pedal board philosophy is all over the place. A number of top players use a three or four boss/Ibanez pedals and that's it. But the other extreme happens quite often and that's the rack mounted stuff in the back with quite a few pedals up front.

lp_bruce likes this.
  10. Poeticas

Poeticas Electromatic

Jun 24, 2019
    Florida
    Yeah I know! Have you ever seen the gear that the guitarist from U2 has? Saw it in a documentary about guitars and he had so much rack mounted stuff.

11. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    His stuff is insane. You might find it fun to look up the "rig rundown" series on Youtube where they look at the rigs from various guitarists. The one that impressed me most was Joe Perry. They showed how several of his live guitars have different scale lengths, playing heights and nut widths. He must be quite gifted to be able to pull all of that off with so many different setups.

I also liked the one about Joe Satriani - not all that big on the effects if I recall. And it seemed that Santana had a fairly simple setup.

12. Poeticas

Poeticas Electromatic

Jun 24, 2019
    Florida
    I like the guitar playing from Robert Smith of The Cure. He just uses 4 boss pedals and I love his tone- he really makes some beautiful melodies. These players like the ones you mentioned are going to seriously influence what I get and how I play. I am just going to use 3 or 4 pedals and that's it.

Yesterday I found out about all these effects plugins you can get for free. There's one website that shows the top 200- so sheesh, there must be over a thousand different effects you can use. That's just insane and it's going to take years of experimenting if I was going to experiment on getting my tone by using all these effects, screw that.

lp_bruce likes this.
  13. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    The best thing that happened to my electric playing is when I moved to Hawaii and was unable to take much gear.
    Before long I was lucky enough to pick up an old Fender Super Reverb.
    For years I wasn’t in a position to buy any new toys so I played straight in with only onboard Reverb as an effect.

The easiest way to learn about effects might be to get yourself a multi-fx unit, line 6 or the like. You will have all the different options at your fingertips. They usually exaggerate the settings on the presets so you’ll get a crystal clear example of what each does.

Poeticas and lp_bruce like this.
  14. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    I moved from classical to electric like you. It was a lot of fun experimenting, but in the end, I have to separate the engineer geek in me from the musician. I'm pretty simple - compressor, boost, overdrive, modulation and delay. At most. Often, only compressor and boost.

Poeticas likes this.
  15. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Gretschie

Apr 28, 2019
    Metro Detroit
    Interesting discussion. There are so many ways to get good tone that it's impossible to really define any boundaries. You can get great sound going directly to an amp or through multiple racks (or anywhere in between).

Love Robert Smith. Great tones and an endless supply of catchy hooks.

I've actually tried to reduce what's at my feet and I try to use relatively few effects at any one time. I always use some reverb because I just like at least some reverb on everything. Other than that, I'm strategic. I generally want some form of dirt, fuzz, and boost pedals. I use modulated effects when they fit the song.

For the last five or six years that has been some form of multi-effect stomp to handle that kind of stuff. I was using a Zoom MS-70CDR, which is a nice little Swiss Army Knife of modulation and time-based effects. But the UI is horrible and it's hard to turn effects on/off (you pretty much have to change patches). I recently picked up a barely used Line 6 HX Stomp--something I never thought I would do because I've really not liked any of their stuff in the past. And it's exactly what I need. A small footprint and up to 6 effects at a time (including amp/cab models if I want) and easy to turn them on/off. And the sounds are all pretty great. I could do a gig with just that pedal if I wanted to.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
    Poeticas likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice