After a while , when you get down to it ....." gear is gear "

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by thunder58, Jul 16, 2019.

1. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    So what do you think of the title of this thread ?
    Do you think when you get down to it .... rock bottom ..... after a while , gear is just gear , it's all the same

This got me thinking after my Joyo Flanger died . Did I just get a lemon ? How many Joyo Flangers really die .
    One time my dryer stoped , it was the motor . Repair man came and put a " brand new out of the box " motor in . A week later the dryer stoped again . He came back , another motor , worked for years ... hey , it happens . I got a lemon of a motor . ( maybe like my Flanger ) .

I think sometimes , weather you have a Chevrolet or a Rolls Royce , the speed limit is still 55 , no matter what . Nice car or a bucket of bolts , you still get from point A to point B . Chevy or Rolls Royce / Joyo or Strymon , is it just status ???

So what do you think ? When you get down to it ...... is gear just gear ???

( fire away )

aiabx, pmac11, cowmoo and 3 others like this.
  2. Armygirl

Armygirl Country Gent

Mar 14, 2014
    Edinburgh
    Yes... but some gear is much prettier than other gear!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Mr Swisher, Waxhead, TW4990 and 8 others like this.
  3. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I have a joyo vintage overdrive pedal (poor man’s tube screamer TS9). I’ve compared it side by side with a real TS9, and decided the joyo sounded way better to my ears.

It’s no longer on my pedalboard because I got sick of the mid boost when I stomped it on, but I’m in no rush to get rid of it because I’m sure I can find a use for it again someday. Also, it’s a $30 pedal brand new, ain’t gonna get me much if I were to try and sell it.

4. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Synchromatic

Nov 11, 2018
    Paris, north down Montmartre hill
    You're absolutely right.
    Let's swap my Washburn for one of your Martin.

Crowbar, T Bone, Henry and 11 others like this.
  5. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    I'm sure a great sound man like @audept can make your Washburn sound like a Martin ...... what , what did I just say ??????

6. Floo

Floo Country Gent

Dec 16, 2012
    Elmshorn, Germany
    On one hand, gear is just "things". Most modern guitars and effects can be replaced easily. On the other hand, the one guitar that gets you hooked may not be replaced, just because some of minor differences to its siblings, and just that one sounds and feels right.
    But after all, if it's a Danelectro or a PRS, whatever makes you feel good and whatever gets you close to the sound you want to create is the right piece of gear.

T Bone, Merc, LivingMyDream and 3 others like this.
  7. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I know what your saying, and I can agree, but would make the distinction between my gear and other people's gear. Not that my gear is better. It's simply a comfort or feel thing that brings forth confidence. Hand me a guitar I've never played and I'd probably feel lost(it has happened).

8. CousinWarsh

CousinWarsh Synchromatic

Jun 24, 2018
    Western NY
    Sure gear is just gear. I can make the same mistakes with cheap gear as I can with the good stuff. I just look better doing it with nicer stuff....

Armygirl and Charlie westside like this.
  9. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    Clothes are just clothes. Vehicles are just vehicles. Houses are just houses. Yet everyone seems pretty picky about those things too ;)

10. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    My expertise is to faithfully capture the true sound of an instrument. Sometimes this means that a poor instrument sounds like a polished turd. In my experience a lot of the tonal quality of an acoustic instrument is in the player"s hands.

Andrew Griffin, Floo and thunder58 like this.
  11. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    Interesting point. I think for the most part gear is just gear, as you say. We have our favourites but in the end, are those favourites critical to our actual output? The difference between say a good guitar and an unplayable guitar is critical for obvious reasons but between Epi and Gibson, USA vs MIM, Proline vs Electromatic, Klon vs Soul Food....I think not so much. All of that said, part of the joy of playing an instrument is having gear we like and want and makes us feel good. I can certainly understand both positions which is why I get mixed feelings about gear purchases....all the time.

12. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I have several 100 year oldish instruments..... They are different

13. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    You get what you pay for. Not always, but almost always.

jjudas, T Bone, Henry and 5 others like this.
  14. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Synchromatic

Nov 11, 2018
    Paris, north down Montmartre hill
    Is that a polite way to say I might have your Martin sound like my Washburn? ;)

BTW there's something I wanted to and still never tried: go with mine in a guitar store and play it and a Martin dreadnought in a row. To check if I feel like it's worth the price. Such as Gretsch before I discovered their low end Streamliner range, Martin is something like a dream I cannot justify to make become true (poor ability, little spare time to play). Also because that Washburn is a pretty good guitar, nicely playable and with nice jingle jangle sound. And as you told before: gear is gear...

Charlie westside and thunder58 like this.
  15. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    lol..... There are some great Martin's out there for the price of a good Washburn ;)

16. johnny g

johnny g Synchromatic

Sep 2, 2017
    union, ms
    I played my dad's Martin D-28 (when he would let me) and a few years ago I purchased a Washburn WD40s. It maybe just me but I like the Washburn just as much. The Washburn was $330 new. (close out model). I am not sure what a Martin cost as I don't have the money any how.

17. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    No, there's a difference between a Pinto and a Porsche.

Are there some more affordable options in any product space that have great feel, function, & quality? - sure. Just like there's obscenely expensive products that are crap.

Saying any product that tries to serve the same function as another is equivalent to it is patently false IMO.

18. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    I’m not sure I completely understand the premise here; gear is just gear?

I guess it depends on your situation. At home a lot of gear is just gear.

When I get in a live scenario my needs change drastically. The guitar is to muddy. The delay isn’t on tempo. The reverb is too dark. The overdrive is too aggressive for this song. Some tremolo would make this. Etc...

19. Doc Helliday

Doc Helliday Gretschie

Dec 21, 2009
    LA
    After about a 4-5 year hiatus from the Gretsch (and other) guitar boards, I'm finally coming back.
    During that time I was building my own stuff
    so a lot of my Gear Acquisition (and research surrounding that), was replaced with Knowledge Acquisition and the hours of research about that. I had less concerns with very subtle tonal differences between "Piece of Gear A" and "Piece of Gear B"
    and more with "Oh God, why is this making such a horrible squeal?!?!?" or the even worse... "Why is this making NO sound?"

I definitely understand where you're coming from, sometimes, it seems like its about "where do you want to do, what are you trying to do?" other times it's about the journey and you discover the destination along the way.

20. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    If you put any great guitarist on what some deem as cheaper or inferior gear, they’re likely to sound great despite it. Assuming the basics are taken care of like a proper set up. It’s the actual playing that shines through for most. And by playing I’m referring to note selection, timing, pick attack, etc.

But it’s the musical details in finer gear that can at times influence a guitarist to be in the zone and feel inspired.

shrews824, Henry, new6659 and 2 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice