After 63 years it seems people are finally catching on

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Yukimajo, Nov 6, 2018.

1. MartyT

MartyT Gretschie

Apr 8, 2010
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    My point is that there's a synergy between a great guitar and a great player that can define a style and establish a sound that is emulated by other players.
    To debate about how influential Brian Setzer might have been playing an SG is a hypothetical that we'll never know for sure. Same with the Clapton/Duo Jet anology.
    As a devoted Gretsch owner and player myself, I love the Gretsch sound and vibe. But in my opinion, Gretsch ain't for everybody. Clapton played a 6120 very briefly with the Yardbirds, and he flatly stated that he hated it. That's not an indictment of a 6120 or of Clapton. It was just a stylistic mismatch.

Henry likes this.
  2. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Sorry Vista
    Admin Post
    Good video. One of the best-produced I’ve ever seen and informative as heck.

The sound was closer than I would have guessed, but I preferred the Gretsch over the LP. Beyond that, I think that the Gretsch control set is much better. For me, there would be no choice to make.

Yukimajo likes this.
  3. Highroller

Highroller Gretschie

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    I realize that for the purpose of the video, a Jet with Filtertrons was the right choice, but for me, you don't shoot into Jet heaven until you're playing one with Dynasonics.

That's what I bought when I got my Jet, and I've never regretted it for even a second.

You'd also have a completely different video ...o_O

---

BorderRadio likes this.
  4. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

I personally wish there were noiseless Dynas. That would be a no brainer for me.

5. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    "I like hammers way better than saws, why would anyone ever want a saw?"

6. Alberta_Slim

Alberta_Slim Gretschie

May 18, 2018
    Ontario
    I think you're thinking of Franny Beecher - Danny Cedrone played a Gibby ES300 and died before "Rock Around the Clock" was released, though he played the lead. A little rock 'n' roll nitpick there for ya...

Yukimajo likes this.
  7. pilgrim

pilgrim Country Gent

Jun 15, 2010
    Mississippi
    I can see that everyone has a good point but all of them reinforce the decisions I made years ago. Each guitar and amp have their own sounds, if you work as a studio musician you need to own the guitar and amp that the producer wants to see. Then you have more than a few of each. The right tool for the right job.

8. Yukimajo

Yukimajo Electromatic

Nov 4, 2018
    Exeter
    I stand corrected.

Alberta_Slim likes this.
  9. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    The Gretsch model wins.