After 63 years it seems people are finally catching on

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Yukimajo, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Yukimajo

Yukimajo Electromatic

Nov 4, 2018
    Exeter
    I don't know if this has been posted here already, If so I apologise for the duplicated post). But here is one of the best comparison videos I've seen for a while:

2. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Yep seen it, I’m not a fan of the Gibson or should I say full size humbucker sound. I do however like the Filter’Tron pups. I’ll take the Gretsch over the Gibby any day of the week and if the pups are to PAF like I’ll swap them with some HS or Setzer filters!

Yukimajo likes this.
  3. benjwri

benjwri Country Gent

Oct 27, 2011
    Central ON Can
    I'll take the Gretsch any day...just the way it comes!!!

Bertotti and Yukimajo like this.
  4. Yukimajo

Yukimajo Electromatic

Nov 4, 2018
    Exeter
    I agree, the Jet outshines the LP for me. It just sounds less muddy and has a more pleasant tone when cleaned up. But then this is a Gretsch forum, so I doubt there would be many takers of the LP over the Jet!

5. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    I take the Gretsch as I prooved that with my new 12 string

calebaaron666 and Yukimajo like this.
  6. Roger49

Roger49 Country Gent

Feb 18, 2015
    Germany
    I think the most telling point for me was that the Jet was constructionally absolutely flawless whereas the Gibson had flaws - which apparently is what we're all used to hearing and is "just the "nature of buying the Gibson".
    There is no doubt in my mind that the LP is a fabulous guitar in most apscts but what an indictment of Gibson QA for a tester to have to make that assessment.

Yukimajo likes this.
  7. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    I’m a Gretsch-Fender guy, never really GASed for Gibson Les Paul/HBs, and thin top, heavy routed Jets deserve Dynasonics, so all this comparison stuff makes no sense to me :)

MKunie likes this.
  8. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    There are a few Gibson's I'd be interested in---slabs with P-90s, CC-90s, Melody Makers, and acoustics.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
    BorderRadio likes this.
  9. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Gretsch wins.

The Les Paul is my least favorite of the iconic guitars.

10. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    I'll take the Gretsch because it's born with a Bigsby !
    My favorite Gibson Iconic guitar is the ES-335TD...

A+!

Yukimajo likes this.
  11. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Synchromatic

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I borrowed a Lp double cutaway with p90s for a wedding gig 5 years ago. I hated the way it sounded... then i flipped to the bridge pickup.
    Not gonna buy one anytime soon, but i do like the sound.

12. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    Put P-90s on em and walk around the fretboard on the wound strings in the first 7 frets. The choice will be clear.

MKunie and TSims1 like this.
  13. johnny g

johnny g Synchromatic

Sep 2, 2017
    union, ms
    Had a ES 125TC gibby years ago. Great guitar. Just don't make a Gibson like that any more. Gretsch is the better guitar for the buck.

14. Charlie westside

Charlie westside Gretschie

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    Saw this some time ago. Great comparison. Great thing is, He loves it and is glad he tried it. It only takes your 1st Gretsch purchase to fall in love with the brand.

Yukimajo likes this.
  15. MartyT

MartyT Gretschie

Apr 8, 2010
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    I think it's an apples/oranges comparison. Gretsch and Gibson are both great at what they do, and how they do it. As is Fender. But they are all different, and it depends upon the genre, player and playing style.
    Do you think Clapton would have set the blues world on its ear if he had played a Duo Jet with John Mayall or Cream?
    Or would the Stray Cats have had the same impact if Brian Setzer had played a Les Paul or SG?
    There's room for everything........

16. tdtom

tdtom Electromatic

Oct 26, 2018
    new zealand
    hope no one is offended but, I sent this thread on to Darrell Braun.
    btw, if you dig into his channel, you will find a video where he actualy put filtertrons into an ocean blue LP! I think he also has tested a tele with gretsch pick-up and sparkly pick guard.

Yukimajo likes this.
  17. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

I love comparison vids like that. When I first entered the world of Gretsch (guitars, I mean, because I already had Gretsch drums), I thought of them as a niche type of sound. The more I have played them, the more I came to appreciate they're amazing versatility. That vid simply proves what I discovered accidentally.

Yukimajo likes this.
  18. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Imo the players made the guitars, not the other way round.

Alberta_Slim and TSims1 like this.
  19. dlew919

dlew919 Gretschie

Jul 18, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    I've told this before, but I went into the shop either to buy a Telecaster Thinline or a Gibson ES-335. Walked out with a Gretsch 5420T. Don't regret it in the slightest. The thinline sounded like the tele I already had (and love). The 335 was nice, don't get me wrong. But it didn't speak to me like the Gretsch did...

Yukimajo likes this.
  20. Yukimajo

Yukimajo Electromatic

Nov 4, 2018
    Exeter
    I have to agree with Henry here, Clapton is equally famous for his LP, 335 & Strat. They all sound very similar because it's Clapton playing them all. As for Setzer, yes he would have made the same impact if he was playing an LP again because Setzer would be playing it. An LP was good enough for Danny Cedrone and Carl Perkins.

I do agree, however, that there is room for everything but it's just a shame that Gibson seem to be trading more on their history than their current quality.

Henry, Bertotti and dlew919 like this.