advise please.

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by noelweller, Jul 14, 2008.

1. noelweller

noelweller Banned

Jun 25, 2008
    schaumburg
    Long story short, I sold my Fender Blues Deluxe. My friends band was in town and his amp blew up during sound check So i rushed to loan him mine for the gig, after he asked if he could buy it, Being the nice guy i am I said sure.

Ok now to this. I am finding now that i am on the look for a new one, amp that is, I am in a bit of a bind. I found the amp that would just kick my pants to all get up and go, A Marshall Bluesbreaker But oh for that price I cannot justify it for jamming at home use.

Next on my list is the Vox AC15, geez I love the way ths sounds with a Gretsch. The price is right were I want it to be.

On to my advise. is there a amp that will pretty much nail that Bluesbreaker tone in my price rang? 900 is the max i can really justify

If not I am on that Vox. For some reason the british voiced amps seem to be calling my name.

2. Jukebox

Jukebox Gretschified

Jun 2, 2008
    Foreston,MN
    Sorry, wish I could help ! I play through a Bose System.

3. noelweller

noelweller Banned

Jun 25, 2008
    schaumburg
    I was fidling with those at the store when i was looking around, Those are pretty sweet

4. Jukebox

Jukebox Gretschified

Jun 2, 2008
    Foreston,MN
    you buy a Bose and you will never go back to a standard pa /amp system!

5. roadjunkie

roadjunkie Country Gent

Jul 4, 2008
    Middletown,PA
    A lot depends on what you want to spend.

6. noelweller

noelweller Banned

Jun 25, 2008
    schaumburg
    to clarify cause i am sure it was lost in th epost, 900 is the max i can really spend

7. roadjunkie

roadjunkie Country Gent

Jul 4, 2008
    Middletown,PA
  8. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I just did a quick scan of your posts to see if I could determine a bit about your tastes before answering this. What I came up with is that you don't seem to want high gain, you found the BD to be a good sounding amp but a bit overpowered. (I'm just distilling what I read and putting it into my own words. If I'm getting it wrong I apologize.) You had mentioned going to lower gain pream tubes and also the possibility of a tube rectifier. As you mentioned earlier in this post the AC 15 fits your tastes.

All I can say is that it might be worthwhile to play a Deluxe Reverb RI before spending your money just as a comparison. Those are the two amps that would come to mind in that price range. The AC 15 would probably get more of an early Beatles sound while the Deluxe would be more typically American sounding.

9. wenzel

wenzel Synchromatic

Jun 2, 2008
    New Jersey
  10. noelweller

noelweller Banned

Jun 25, 2008
    schaumburg
    Sychro you hit the nail on the head with my taste. I really do like the blues sound you can get out of a Vox. Going to try out a Deluxe RRI. I honestly have only played thru the pedal, Deluxe Reverb,and I did like it.

are 6v6s and EL84s that differant? I know they are i can hear the differance. Just trying to figure why. ( that was a side note)

11. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    6v6s and El84s are different sounding. The 6v6 is more open, clearer and glassy sounding than the EL84. My main two amps are a Fender Blues Jr (modified) and a '65 Twin RI. For my Fender guitars (Am Dlx Strat, Tele Std and Custom Tele FMT HH) I find the sound of the Blues Jr quite pleasing. It adds some mid range texture to the sound. For my Gretsches, especially those with Filtertrons, I greatly prefer the Twin. The Twin is clean, strong and very open and glassy, a perfect compliment for Filtertrons. The Deluxe Reverb RI is fairly simlar in character to a Twin, at least IMHO.

Speaker size plays a role too. I personally prefer a 12" speaker to 10" speakers. The 12s just sound "bigger" to me. My target sound is along the lines of Duane Eddy and I find that 12s allow the bass notes to sound strong enough.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2008
  12. noelweller

noelweller Banned

Jun 25, 2008
    schaumburg
    Now you heard the sound sample, I am sure that helps. I also put p90s in my pro jet. I am sure that will help with that as i like to call grit.

13. Chetfan

Chetfan Electromatic

Jun 7, 2008
    N.W. Ohio
    I agree with Synchro on the Gretsch and a twin. I love the sound of my 6120 thru mine. For my teles though, I seem to like my DRRI better. I think it's a more focused sound with the teles. I've also used my 64 Concert (4x10s) a lot lately and I think it sounds better with the Gretsch than the teles.

14. noelweller

noelweller Banned

Jun 25, 2008
    schaumburg
    A twin well we might be in luck on trying one out also. My guy has a 70's Twin hiding under gig bags. i have asked about it before but no price was given. It is in good shape too..

15. drgonzo2

drgonzo2 Gretschie

Jun 7, 2008
    Northants, UK
    Might be worth trying an AC30CC too, if possible. Not sure how much one costs on your side of the pond though...

... G

16. noelweller

noelweller Banned

Jun 25, 2008
    schaumburg
    a AC30 isn't too bad over here. I am honestly lookin for a small watt amp to really be able to push.

17. drgonzo2

drgonzo2 Gretschie

Jun 7, 2008
    Northants, UK
    Hmmm... Maybe a Marshall 18? Clone?

18. noelweller

noelweller Banned

Jun 25, 2008
    schaumburg
    I have tried to google that. no luck. but it seems google never likes me. I can't even google Gretsch without having something differant come up

19. drgonzo2

drgonzo2 Gretschie

Jun 7, 2008
    Northants, UK
    Try www.18watt.com - just be warned, the people there can cause you to spend much more than originally intended...

... kinda like here, really...

Cheers... G

20. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    That's the ticket!

I'll see if I can help.

Here's a builder site:
    http://www.18watt.com/

Here's a site from a guy that built his own:
    http://www.poupart.com/us/andy/amps/18watt.html

A lot of small amp makers build these. You'll be able to tell that they resemble the Marshall physically and have an 18 watt 2 x EL84 circuit.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice