Advice on affordable practice/small gig amp (katana 50 vs champ 40 vs mustang)

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by Stefan87, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Dennison

Dennison Country Gent

Jul 17, 2011
    Kent, UK
    What Wildeman said -- older type Roland Cube. I bought a Cube 40 as a home practice amp and ended up using it for band practice. So I bought an older 60 and have used that for gigs when I didn't want to lug around my tube rig. The Roland Cubes (I'm not talking about the new Blues Cubes) can be picked up fairly cheaply, seem just about bullet-proof and are versatile without being fiddly or complex.

2. dswo

dswo Electromatic

Apr 8, 2017
    East Carolina
    I love the Mustang GT40 as a practice amp. For something you might also play out with, I'd get a Katana.

Stefan87 likes this.
  3. Stefan87

Stefan87 Electromatic

May 20, 2019
    Sydney, Australia
    Ok i had a look at older cubes and this one is available 40 mins from me, is this what those of you who have recomended the cube 40s are talking about or is it a bit old

Late 1970's white Roland Cube 40 in good clean condition. Serial number 79346. Always stored in a smoke free environment. Everything works fine except there is a slight crackle when changing volume - pot needs cleaning. A few small scuff marks on tolex covering. Attached power lead stores in back of body. Weighs 9.8kg. Great little vintage amp. Local pick up or courier delivery.

- 40 watts
    - 10inch speaker
    - spring reverb

I could copy and paste the link for the add on gumtree

4. Pop1655

Pop1655 Gretschie

Feb 9, 2019
    Texas Hill Country
    I won't swear it's the best, but I like seeing the Champ 40 on your list. Great fender cleans. Crazy good bang for the buck. They're under appreciated and sorta fly under the radar. It was my favorite of the lot of everything I tried in that class.

Stefan87 likes this.
  5. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    Fender Blues Junior or Vox AC10C1
    Both very portable, both more than loud enough to gig with.
    Both sound great!!!
    Good luck...

new6659, Stefan87 and Funky54 like this.
  6. Fredo

Fredo Synchromatic

Jan 18, 2010
    Georgia, USA
    I'm happy with my Champion 40 but what you can do with the effects is limited. For example, you can adjust the amount of reverb, but not the amount of dwell. I didn't want to deal with patches, so the Champion 40 works for me. I get the effects I want from my Oceans 11 and Nail Head.

Stefan87 likes this.
  7. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Well I've played all these 3 and if I had to chose one of them it would be the Katana.
    Has the best clean tones of those 3 imo.
    It's a good practice and jam amp but I wouldn't chose to gig with any of those 3 myself.
    You have a JCM800 for doing serious gigs and these 3 solid state amps are toys compared to that imo :)

Do you know you can get a used Roland Cube 80 in Australia for about same price as the Katana 50. Cube 80 sounds a bit better imo and has another 30 watts so makes it more practical as a small jam/gig amp

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    sh4rkbyt3 and Stefan87 like this.
  8. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Synchromatic

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    Bugerra V22,, can be found used for $200-ish, I love mine.

Stefan87 and Funky54 like this.
  9. Funky54

Funky54 Gretschie

Aug 12, 2010
    Florida
    I’ve seen used blues jr’s And fender pro jr go in the $200 price range. Both are excellant amps that sound great and are reliable. I’ve gigged with just a Blues jr before and it’s a great little amp.

My buddy plays in a blues band and his Bugerra has ran flawless for probably 3 years.

sh4rkbyt3 and Stefan87 like this.
  10. kjmac

kjmac Gretschie

Mar 7, 2018
    Omaha, NE
    I really love my Monoprice 15 watt 1x12 tube amp. It will keep right up with a blues Jr. and at even $250.00 it's the best deal going.

wabash slim, Stefan87 and pmac11 like this.
  11. Scooter127

Scooter127 Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2019
    USA
    It doesn't cost anything to go to a store and check em out so I say it's worth it ;)

Stefan87 likes this.
  12. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Not in Australia.
    Triple all your US prices here.
    And Vox and Fender tube amps are even more exy here .... unfortunately :(

TW4990 and Stefan87 like this.
  13. Stefan87

Stefan87 Electromatic

May 20, 2019
    Sydney, Australia
    Thank you to everyone for your replies, going of what everyone has said I think I will have more of a look and broaden my searching to more of an 80W on wards in a bandit or a cube 80 and seeing as I guess I can wait I may just battle with the marshall for now and see if the i can extend the budget to reach a good used 15-30w fender/vox or even orange as I was looking at those last night and actually don't mind the sound, will also keep an eye out for the V22 as Gtttrrr said as I never thought of those.

Nothing wrong with the marshall just over taking a amp and box when a good combo will be more then enough for what I need right now, I do agree Scooter about going to try them which I can do but the gigging side of it is the thing I'm not 100% sure on and would hate to buy something that wouldn't work to then just sell it and start all over, that and I have our first little girl due to arrive in 2 weeks so time is bit limited right now lol.

Again thanks for all your help everyone, I think I am now on a better track with your suggestions.

14. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Again not in Australia - these are US prices.
    Apply x2 or x3 costs here.

Stefan87 likes this.
  15. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Look on Gumtree and Ebay for used Cubes and Bandits.
    You can test them out in most music stores in Sydney.
    Good luck young man :)

Stefan87 likes this.
  16. Stefan87

Stefan87 Electromatic

May 20, 2019
    Sydney, Australia
    So true waxhead, the prices here just suck lol, I mean I'd love a hot rod deluxe or an AC30 in the grand scheme of things but can't justify the $1800.00 approx new price tag or the $1000.00 approx second hand price tag on something that could potentially sit for a while, even the fender jnr amps and ac15s are $600.00 second hand for those who don't know the prices here in Aus.
    Hence why I was looking at the ones I mentioned.
    Found a cube 80 for $250 but it's in Qld lol

Waxhead likes this.
  17. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Yes Aust music rip off prices have been a problem here ..... forever.
    Even a new Vox AC10 is $700 here.

$250 for a used Cube 80 is good though if it's in ok condition.
    I'd grab that if I was looking for a good SS amp :)

Stefan87 likes this.
  18. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Cant fathom that shipping from China to Australia costs more than to the US. Which decent manufacturer is the most reasonably priced? Any local outfits?

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Stefan87 likes this.
  19. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Yes agree Pmac.
    The reasons for the rip off prices for music gear here are not economic.
    It's an historic culture of consumer over pricing imo by distributors and retailers.

Prior to the floating of the A$ in the 1990s musos here got very used to having to pay exhorbitent prices for guitars, amps, pedals etc in a small market. And there were large tariffs placed on imported goods also.

Once the A$ was floated, the tariffs removed and the market increased in size retailers just kept the same rip off prices and...... as Aussies had got used to it over time and, there was no obvious alternative, they just kept paying up and being ripped off blind. So retailers / distributors continued the price gouging.

There was of course a better alternative that I adopted about 15 yrs ago but few aussies were aware of.
    That is - test out the product you want in Aust and then buy it from the US.

I've not bought a single music product in Australia for 15 yrs unless it was a heavy amp that was cost prohibitive to ship / import. I've saved myself probly $20,000 during that time.

Good examples we discussed recently were the 2 Egnater Rebel 20 and 30 amps I bought in US for $450 and $550. Cos they were light weight, lunch boxed size and had dual power supplies I imported those in when same amps cost $1400 and $1800 here.

I kept them for 3-5 yrs and then sold them on Ebay used here in Aust for double what I paid for them in the US. And they were still cheap prices here for those used amps so everyone was happy :)

Now I'm currently selling my Mesa Express 5:50 here for $1500.
    It's big and 50 pounds so I had to buy it in Australia 10 yrs ago for $3600.
    But in the US these great amps are like $1300 new :)

There's a couple of good local makers I recommend.
    MI Audio amps and pedals from Sydney are great and pretty cheap.
    Maton and Cole Clark guitars ditto

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    pmac11 and Stefan87 like this.
  20. Stefan87

Stefan87 Electromatic

May 20, 2019
    Sydney, Australia
    I done the same with my Gretsches, there is no way I would've been able to get what I have if I paid retail for them, my 6119 I bought at 50% here which was listed at $4200 because the shop closed down and cleared everything out, I got my 6120SSL which retails here at the time just a tad over $6000.00 online again for half the price and I bought my penguin from rocky street sounds when the aussie dollar was 1/1 to the american dollar paid for shipping and taxes and still saved $1500.00, keeping in mind this was 7-10 years ago.

Might check out the MI audio amps.

pmac11 and Waxhead like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice