Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Advice on a Speaker for a Super Champ X2

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by Anakin2Solo, May 30, 2012.

1. Anakin2Solo

Anakin2Solo Gretschie

May 3, 2012
    Denver, CO
    I own a Super Champ XD and a Super Champ X2. I am giving one of them to my Dad in mid June. I am leaning towards keeping the X2 even thought I find the overall tone better in the XD. I am starting to really like the Fuse software. I am converting presets from my G-DEC to the SCX2 and they are turning out pretty good. Anyways, my issue is I want to upgrade the speaker. Since you cannot simply drop into a Guitar Center and listen to various speakers in the same cabinets, I lean on you. I hear good things about the Rajin Cajun. My thoughts there are many people are looking for a more rock oriented speaker. While I oocasionally play rock, I lean Blues and Rockabily. I want to keep the Great Gretsch Sound along with that Fender Clean Tone. Any suggestions in similar 10" cabs with a Fender tube amp?

2. Lizardkinged

Lizardkinged Friend of Fred

Oct 5, 2009
    Michigan
    I would try to upgrade to a 12' and I would look into Jenson P12N (100 watter) or P12K (50 watt version) for more American clean fendery tone.

A company called Warehouse Guitar Speaker makes awesome Re-productions of Jensens and Celestions. As far as Celestions they have some of the Alnico Blue style ones. Webber makes great American re-pros. Celestion has a new Neo-mag speaker (its ayear or 2 old) but they're super light weight, and advertised to be versatile/transparent as far as styles go (suitable for all they say)

I would check out the American style speakers @ Warehouse guitar speakers. They also do custom work. Make lots of 10's as well in the popular styles discussed.

3. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Friend of Fred

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Hey Anakin, I also have a SCXD and a SCX2 and I prefer the X2 for the versatility of the Fuse software. I purchased a CHEAP Kustom 1-12 bottom new for $129 and it sounded ok but I replaced the cheap Kustom speaker with an Eminence Red Coat Man 'O War 12" for another $60. So for the same price as Fender's 112 cab I got one with a premium speaker. Man, it wails. Lots of bottom, top and in between and respond well (and loudly) to the 15 watt tube amp.

I also replaced the XD speaker with a Ragin Cajun and it helps but the SCX2 still sounds better with the 12" and the programmable presets. Love it.

4. Lizardkinged

Lizardkinged Friend of Fred

Oct 5, 2009
    Michigan
    I wouldn't get the dinky SC-cab if you want the big fender cleans... The HRD/BD cab has the same speaker, but the bigger baffle and box will give it more bass response.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-...12-Guitar-Extension-Cab-105168330-i1398875.gc

I cant speak for the speaker, but it claims its good for all around... If you have the means, I still think your better going w/ jensens and making your own cab.

5. tguen63

tguen63 Gretschie

Apr 26, 2012
    kansas city
    You can e-mail Weber speakers, tell them what amp you are using and what sound you are looking for, and they will make a recommendation for you. I have always been happy with their recommendations. I suspect they would recommend a 10A125 or 10F125. I have the 12A125 (12" version) in a hand wired Deluxe clone and love it.

6. JohnS

JohnS Synchromatic

Jun 3, 2008
    San Jose, CA
    I have an SCXD. There is a 47 page thread on the TDPRI in the amp owner's forum on the XD if you want some light reading. Also a X2 thread. I chose a Weber Sig 10S alnico for my amp. It is very sweet and does Fender cleans very well. Not louder than stock (or heavier) but MORE.

7. workknot

workknot Country Gent

Feb 15, 2009
    Brainerd, Minnesota
    I had my SCXD plugged into a 15" Weber and it is fantastic for cleans. Bass tones are clear, mids and treble excellent. It is a 50 Watt 8ohm cab.
    Pop's

8. fender62custom

fender62custom Friend of Fred

Mar 3, 2012
    Helidon, Australia
    +4 Weber...that's where l'd be looking.

9. Anakin2Solo

Anakin2Solo Gretschie

May 3, 2012
    Denver, CO
    Thanks for the input so far guys. I should have clarified that this is pretty much for home studio use so BIG is not important. I also do have the 12" single cabinet. I am running both the 10" and the 12". I am happy with the low end the 12 gives. I am just looking for a little something more from the 10 without losing the Fender tone. I am leaning towards the Weber sig 10S, but I could probably go Jensen and be happy as well. I have read a ton about the upgrades in a XD, but not much in the X2. I want to want the X2, but for some reason the XD has a little something extra. I will probably go with the X2 anyways because Dad would love the Acoustasonic preset on the XD. I have an Acoustasonic Jr so I never use that preset. Thanks again guys. I need to make a decision soon. Either way, I am keeping the nice metal Fender logo from the XD. I love that logo.

Oh yeah, for those of you with the X2; how is the tolex? Mine has two overlapping seams on the top. I saw the same thing on an online picture. What is with that? The 1x12 cabinet and the XD both have seamless tolex ont he tops. Anyone else get one like that? Looks cheap, but I am sure I will build a new cabinet some day.

10. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Friend of Fred

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Yep, mine is like that too but it sounds so awesome good I couldn't care if it was covered with roll on latex paint. :)

11. polishbroadcast

polishbroadcast Synchromatic

Jun 23, 2010
    Chicago
    Keep in mind the stock speaker is designed to be neutral to play nice with the amp models. There is a good amount of discussion on speaker swaps w this amp and the Mustang over on the TGP. Might be worth skimming.

12. JohnS

JohnS Synchromatic

Jun 3, 2008
    San Jose, CA
    Two things were important to my choice. I did not want a heavier speaker for such a nice light amp. Weber breaks speakers in for you at no charge. I don't play enough to "wait" for my speaker to break in. I'm old enough as it is.
    The Jensen sound samples all sounded tinny to me from their web site. Yikes!
    The Weber Sig 10S alnico is only $45 plus shipping. I've had lunches more expensive then that.

13. Valdez

Valdez Gretschie

Mar 16, 2011
    Germany
    I like the "Jensen Jet Series Tornado 10" in my XD.

14. Anakin2Solo

Anakin2Solo Gretschie

May 3, 2012
    Denver, CO
    Thanks again guys. I am heavily leaning towards the Weber signature Alnico. My main concern is keeping the Fender clean tone. I might even consider dropping a 12" Weber in the cab down the road. I think the decision is difficult because there are so many nice choices out there. It is hard to complain about that.

15. Gretsch5135

Gretsch5135 Synchromatic

May 1, 2010
    Republic of Texas
    This is good info as I'm considering a replacement speaker for my SCXD. I've debated parting with it once or twice because I have other tools in the shed but all I need to do is play it for a few to make me want to keep it in the stable.

16. workknot

workknot Country Gent

Feb 15, 2009
    Brainerd, Minnesota
    Gretsch5135: Wait until you hear it through the matching pine cab with the 15" JBL in it.
    Pop's

17. JohnS

JohnS Synchromatic

Jun 3, 2008
    San Jose, CA
    And just wait until you pick that suckka up.

18. cqscqs

cqscqs Gretschie

Dec 8, 2013
    midwest
    Wow that looks pretty good and the price doesn't break the bank. Would you say that speaker in a SCX2 would sound good for a Chet sound? Thanks!

19. montereyjack66

montereyjack66 Country Gent

Feb 29, 2012
    LA-ish
    All good advice. Had good luck with Jensens and Emience. Repeat buys on the Swamp Thang which is a pretty darn clean speaker but has some nice dark mojo. Excellent for rockabilly, blues, retro in general. Handles balls out stuff too,

mj