Advice for finding a case for G5622T.

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Devante, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Devante

Devante Electromatic

Jul 11, 2019
    Fresno
    Hey guys. Just got a brand new Gretsch G5622T. Glad to be a part of the family. My dream guitar!

Anyway, I'm having real trouble finding a rectangle hardshell case for it.
    Like, I can't find ANY.

I see plenty of guitar-shaped ones but no rectangle ones.

Does anyone know of any for this guitar or maybe ones that are customizable?

Thanks for any advice!

2. dak55

dak55 Synchromatic

May 31, 2018
    Mills River NC
    I'm certainly no authority but I can't say I've ever seen a rectangle case for a wide body, hollow or semi. Someone might come along and point you in the right direction and someone for sure will come along and tell you to build your own, it's easy. :D

Welcome to the group though Devante and congrats on your new Gretsch. We like pics here so post em. Start another thread "New Guy from Fresno" and you'll get a lot of welcomes!!

T Bone likes this.
  3. dak55

dak55 Synchromatic

May 31, 2018
    Mills River NC
    By the way, why you hunting a rectangle? Easier to stack multiple cases?

4. Devante

Devante Electromatic

Jul 11, 2019
    Fresno
    Easier to move around, not as akward, can put stuff on top of needed. That kind of thing. I was hoping at the least they make customizable ones. Like foam you could cut out or something.

Thanks for the welcome. Pictures incoming!

5. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Country Gent

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Outside of a custom Anvil or Calzone case, I'm pretty sure you won't find one. I don't know of any standard case makers who make a rectangular case for a 5622/ 335 style guitar.

6. Charging Charlie

Charging Charlie Electromatic

Jun 21, 2018
    Maryland
    I have searched for many guitar cases in the past but have never seen a rectangular case for any hollow body Gretsch

7. Devante

Devante Electromatic

Jul 11, 2019
    Fresno
    Just wanted to follow up.

I ended up trying these three guitar cases:
    • Gretsch G6241FT
    • Gator GTSA-GTR335
    • SKB 1SKB35

The Gretsch: I saw several forum and reddit posts saying this was the case to get. That it fits perfectly. I can tell you it certainly does not fit perfectly. It's like 2 times too tall for the guitar so what you get is the upper body kind of floating in air and then all that weight is supported at the bottom of the neck. That doesn't seem good to me. Definitely seems like it could warp or even snap the neck given time.

The Gator: I emailed Gretsch asking what case should I get and they came back to me with this case, so I bought it. The was easily the worst one when it comes to fitting my guitar. The problem is the bottom of the neck brace is so high that it points the neck up into the underside of the lid. The headstock doesn't event rest in that brace. The headstock just floats/points up into the air. Closing the lid on it would push the headstock down and snap something for sure. It's too bad because the case itself seems great.

SKB: I forgot where I saw this one suggested but this is the one. It's like a 99% perfect fit. Even the underside of the lid has cutouts for all the hardware like Bigsby. Seems pretty rugged too since it's a TSA case. (Don't worry, the case itself is pretty thin compared to the others). The little storage compartment is small. It won't fit my hard leather strap. But that's just because the case itself is as thin as it is.

I gave up on a square case for these. They don't exist.

So there you have it!
    I'll probably post this in other threads too since those are the threads I looked in while on this little journey.

.x[ Devante ]x.

mapotofu likes this.
  8. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Well I have a 2017 made G5422 (exact same size as a5622) and the Gretsch case fits perfect :)

MKunie likes this.
  9. Charlie westside

Charlie westside Country Gent

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    SKB-1SKB 35 thin body semi-hollow case.
    Will fit your guitar. I know Gator also carries one.

10. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Yea, I'd look.for 355 cases, similar size body and similar neck angle.

Edit: pretty sure I meant 335, always get that number confused.

11. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Any ES-335 designed for case will be convenient. My G5622TLH enters in my original ES-335TD case.
    But sorry, it's not a rectangular case. I don't think that I ever saw one - ah, maybe in a molded version ?

A+!

12. Devante

Devante Electromatic

Jul 11, 2019
    Fresno
    Do you happen to have any pictures? I know mine doesn't fit perfectly simply because the case body is 4.5 inches deep and the guitar is about 2.5 inches thick. When the guitar lying in the case, I can fit my fingers deep under the body.

The SKB I settled on is about 3 inches deep in contrast, which is why it fits so well.

13. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I have often wished for more room in my case for books or items miscellaneous stuff. I decided to make a pouch I could strap to the case. Nice thing is I can move it to a different case when I want to.

14. GlenP

GlenP Electromatic

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    Waxhead likes this.
  15. Scooter127

Scooter127 Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2019
    USA
    That looks exactly like the GTK case I got for my Streamliner when I bought the guitar at Guitar Center, which looks EXACTLY like the official Gretsch case that came with a 12-string I bought from someone here. unfortunately it has NO model number on it that I can find.

Exact same hardware, handle, stitching, the whole 9 yards. Try hitting GC. The GTK was very snug at first, as in I was a little worried it was too snug. it was perfect.

16. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    I have a 5622t and I went with the top Gretsch case made specifically for 16” thinlines, G6267 16”. I have not found a case that fit a guitar better than this case. I was looking for the lower priced Gretsch case and stumbled on this top of the line case used on Reverb, a demo really, selling for less than the lower priced one including free shipping.

I know you wanted a flat case, I have two of those for my fenders and even being thinner they are much more of a pain to move around, put in a car etc compared to a guitar shaped case. They never go through a car door opening easily with those wide corners on the case. Their only advantage, they stack well if you have a pile of them. For some reason they don’t balance as well for carrying. To each their own.

5516F743-F234-4E34-8D4C-6412AA31EF35.jpeg

5831D488-A592-4A30-A5AC-6FE3DC99E0F7.jpeg

EESmith and Waxhead like this.
  17. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
  18. Devante

Devante Electromatic

Jul 11, 2019
    Fresno
    I also got the economy one for my G5622T. Definitely wasn't a perfect fit.Width/height wise it was, but depth wise it was way too deep, causing the upper body weight to push down on the area where the lower neck brace is.

Henry likes this.
  19. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    I don’t think the lower priced one is specific for thinlines. I think it is more generic.

20. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    mine is :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice