Adventures in Pedalboarding...

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by Ducerro, Feb 15, 2020.

1. Ducerro

Ducerro Electromatic

Dec 4, 2019
    Yoakum, TX
    Fell in the rabbit hole about three weeks ago and now I find myself in the "build process" for my first ever pedalboard. Gotta say I'm having fun - but I'm spending WAY too much time watching videos and figuring out what I want.

I'm WAY OUT in the country, so "used" anything is an issue. As such, most of my first pedalboard is going to be new stuff ordered online and shipped in.

I did pick up a wah pedal on Wednesday off Craigslist. Bargain priced at $25 for a clean Electro-Harmonix Crying Tone Wah pedal - even had the box still. And the guy delivered it! I don't think I can mount it on the pedalboard due to its design, but at $25 it was a no brainer! Back story on the delivery - he wanted to meet "somewhere" other than his house/apt - for safety reasons I suppose. Which is fine, but I own a winery in the same town so I suggested we meet here. He was much younger than I, but we had a great conversation about guitars in general. Nice fellow.

Finally decided on a pedalboard and power supply - ordered those on Thursday. They'll be here on Monday. Had a devil of a time deciding on both the board and the power supply. At first I wanted a Nano board, then decided I wanted "room to grow". Looked at Pedaltrain (of course), but the next size up looked to be a bit bigger than I needed. Finally settled on a Rockboard 3.1 Tres and a Cioks DC7 for the power supply (I'm a buy it once kinda guy).

I have an "overdue pedal" from ProStarAudio - a Keely 30MS. It's still showing a Thursday delivery... ugh! That will be 11 days in transit (do yourselves a favor and don't buy from ProStarAudio unless your prepared to wait on their version of free shipping). :mad:

First pedal - I suppose - is a Donner Yellow Fall given to me at Christmas a couple of years ago. Second pedal was/is a cheap KLIQ tuner pedal (that usually doesn't want to tune the high E). I don't think either will make the cut for placement on the new board. Already have their replacements. For tuning I went with a Boss TU3 Waza and for delay I have the afore mentioned Keely 30MS.

For overdrive I spent several weeks chasing a Okko Diablo Gain+ Overdrive, but finally gave up finding one NOS (New Old Stock). In the end I bought another Keely - their Keely D&M.

Also wanted a Looper, so I went with a Boss RC-1.

I've got one more pedal I'm chasing for now - a Keely Compressor Plus. Just looking for the "right" deal to come along.

So that's my "first pedalboard". I'll post pictures when everything finally gets here! :D

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
  2. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Pics ! Pics ! Pics ! ;););)

A+!

Ducerro likes this.
  3. Ducerro

Ducerro Electromatic

Dec 4, 2019
    Yoakum, TX
    Well, that didn't take long! :p

Only have a shot of the Keely D&M so far. The two Boss pedals are at the house and I'm at the winery - so those will have to be posted later. The rest of the "stuff" is still in transit...

Keely DM 2.jpg

Keely DM 1.jpg

4. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    KEELEY 30ms is awesome. You’ll dig it.

His compressor + is fab too. Get one.

Ducerro likes this.
  5. GretschPraise

GretschPraise Gretschie

Jun 26, 2017
    Tampa Bay
    Great picks for your first board, you've got all the bases covered there. I'd be real curious to hear how you get on with that D&M Drive.

Ducerro likes this.
  6. Ducerro

Ducerro Electromatic

Dec 4, 2019
    Yoakum, TX
    Thanks! I'm thinking I'll add a reverb pedal as well, but the board is going through a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe George Benson Edition and the amp has reverb built in. I'm still learning how to use everything, but I've got a feeling the amp isn't going to give me all of the options I want. That said I need to try the setup without a reverb pedal first.

On the D&M drive... I'm looking forward to trying it out. The Hot Rod GB has TONS of clean headroom, so I'm hopeful I can get some crunch with the D&M without having to go full throttle on the amp.

Power supply and the board are due in Monday, so hopefully I can get powered up and do some testing! Oh - almost forgot - went with MXR pancake patch cables. Those are probably on the porch at the house now. Price point was good and it appears the ends can be rebuilt if needed.

7. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Boards can be both exciting and inspiring. The hardest part for me was figuring out which actual board and size to go with as well. It’ll be fun and worth it seeing everything come together after all the planning. :)

8. TubeLife

TubeLife Gretschie

Jan 23, 2020
    Chicagoland
    I play through fender amps with built in reverb and still like having reverb pedals on my board. I like having the ability to have plate and hall reverbs too. Enjoy the new pedalboard and have fun!

GretschPraise and Ducerro like this.
  9. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Keeley pedals are great. The 30ms delay and the Abbey Chamber reverb are 2 of my favorites. The compressor plus is awesome, I hope you find a good deal on one soon.

Ducerro likes this.
  10. Ducerro

Ducerro Electromatic

Dec 4, 2019
    Yoakum, TX
    Musician's Friends Stupid Deal of the Day is a Whampler Reflection Reverb Effects Pedal... Reg Price $199.97 - on sale for $119.97!!! Y'all have no idea how hard that is to resist! Not actually trying to go with Keely only on my board, but those are the pedals I'm finding that I like the best (tone wise). I want to try the Keely Abbey Reverb - it's $149, so that Whampler is very tempting... must resist...

OK - I'm good! Y'all snap one up if your interested. :p

11. Ducerro

Ducerro Electromatic

Dec 4, 2019
    Yoakum, TX
    The Keely 30MS is now due in tomorrow instead of Thursday... we'll see...

Took a rather LOOOOONG drive today to Corpus Christi. It's about 120 miles or so. While there the misses and I stopped in at Guitar Center. The one in Corpus Christi is rather small, but the service was top notch. I had decided to pick up the Keely Compressor Plus and the web said they had one in stock. What the web didn't tell me was the pedal was on sale for President's Day at $99.99! The sale price wasn't on the web - it was evidently an in store only special. No matter - I wanted it. Unfortunately the only one they had in stock was the display model. While I would rather have a new "in the box" pedal I really couldn't complain at the sale price... well, until they didn't have the box for it either... In the end they offered to sell me a new "in the box" pedal at the sales price of $99.99 and ship it to the house. So... that's what I did. No instant gratification, but I did get the pedal. Hopefully it will be here by the end of the week. The pedal is supposedly shipping from the San Antonio store. If it goes UPS Ground or FedEx it will only take a day.

12. The Box

The Box Electromatic

Feb 9, 2020
    Iran
    Ha ha. It is really painful to wait for the new pedal when you are so eager to have that under your feet.
    Can you tell us what kind of MOD or effect pedals are you gonna have?
    Keep up with the good work buddy!

13. Ducerro

Ducerro Electromatic

Dec 4, 2019
    Yoakum, TX
    Well - I'm so new to the pedal game I'm not sure I'm even answering you correctly, but I've got the Keeley 30MS for delay and I've pretty much convinced myself that I simply will not be happly until the Keeley Abbey Reverb pedal is sitting next to the 30MS. I've not been a huge pedal fan in the past. Still learning to play truth be told, but it's time for some fun. I hope the new pedal board pushes me to practice more often. As for other effect pedals I'm gonna hold pat once I order the Abbey Reverb.

BTW - the power supply (Cioks DC7) and pedal board (Rockboard 3.1 Tres) arrived today! They've joined the Keely D&M, EXH Wah, and the two Boss pedals (RC1 Looper & TU3 Waza Tuner) in the music room. The MS30 is due in tomorrow. And the Keeley Compressor Plus should be here by the weekend...

The Box and Sid Nitzerglobin like this.
  14. The Box

The Box Electromatic

Feb 9, 2020
    Iran
    Congrats man!!
    I have always been using pedals from the very first time. I like to use them in front of the amp with clean sound with a hair of gain on it. some people like their pedals to be in a loop. I don't like that.
    what kind of amp do you use?
    And be aware!! you will get addicted to pedals! ;)

15. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    I do agree ...........

The Box likes this.
  16. Ducerro

Ducerro Electromatic

Dec 4, 2019
    Yoakum, TX
    My main amp is a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe George Benson Edition - tons of clean headroom on that one. Which is why I decided to explore the pedal world for the first time - need a bit of crunch to go with the clean! I also have a Boss Katana 50, but I don't like it as much as the Hot Rod.

The Box likes this.
  17. Freshy

Freshy Synchromatic

Sep 30, 2017
    Homosassa FLA
    New in Box at Guitar Center needs to come from their warehouse. Their store idea of NIB is its been sitting on the showroom floor for a year and we repacked it into the original box. LTYF
    Got into it with them on a Vox Amp.

18. Ducerro

Ducerro Electromatic

Dec 4, 2019
    Yoakum, TX
    The Keeley 30MS made its arrival today - kinda on schedule. Good thing it's a pedal, cause it was "boxed" in an envelope. Well, at least it was a padded envelope! Looks to be ok. Had a host of chores to do today and this ole man is just too pooped to play with the pedals, so I'll get to crankin tomorrow.

I was supposed to get a confirmation email from GC on the Keely Compressor Plus pedal - that email never came. I'll have to wait till I get into the office tomorrow to verify they charged the credit card for the purchase. If not then I'll have to call and see what's up. Not too worried at this point.

Had a 15% off coupon from ProStarAudio - and since the Keeley 30MS was delivered in what appears to be working condition - I decided to use the coupon to get the Keeley Abbey Reverb pedal. Unfortunately they don't stock that one... So, still searching! I'm probably just going to order it from Keeley. They charge a shipping fee of $8, but it doesn't appear they charge tax - so it's a couple of bucks cheaper.

This "new" tax thing has really messed up my online shopping. I've yet to figure out how they are charging tax since it's different in every state, county, and city (at least that's the way it is in Texas). I'm in an unincorporated area of Texas, so all I charge at my business is the state's 6.25% base rate. Everytime I add an item to an online cart the tax seems to change. I have no idea what to expect. The pedal I got from ProStarAudio wasn't at 6.25%. Matter of fact - I could never get the invoiced amount to come out with a tax amount that made sense. I have a feeling the tax is being charged but the funds are not going to the states. That's just my feelings - I could be wrong.

audept likes this.
  19. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Prymaxe Vintage demo unit on sale:
    https://www.prymaxe.com/collections...ronics-abbey-chamber-verb-vintage-reverb-demo

TSims1 and Ducerro like this.
  20. The Box

The Box Electromatic

Feb 9, 2020
    Iran
    wow! that's hell of an amp!
    Boss Katana is also a good amp but if you go with the tube, you can't go back!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice