AdjustOMatic bridge differences?

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by Drifter, Jan 15, 2017.

1. Drifter

Drifter Gretschie

Dec 27, 2012
    New Jersey
    Are there any differences between the adjustomatic bridge on the Electromatic line versus the Proline such as construction, metal composition etc?

Thanks

2. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    No, they both rattle like a South American percussion section. :(

larryb, G5422T, Axis39 and 2 others like this.
  3. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    Both are cheap China junk ... I was shocked about that, when I bought my Panther and replaced it with an ABM 2400 roller bridge, which eliminated rattle and improved the sound drastically.

I guess, that's the reason, why Compton and True-Arc bar bridges became so popular amongst Gretsch players.

Drifter likes this.
  4. Butch Ammon

Butch Ammon Gretschie

Jan 3, 2016
    Richmond, VA
    LOL... That cracked me up! :D

My 5122's stock bridge did rattle a little at first (mainly G string and sometimes D string). I decided to try something a little crazy, but hey, it actually worked!
    1. Get extremely anal retentive, and measure each bridge saddle's location with a micrometer, and write it down.
    2. Loosen the appropriate string down a full step or two (just to take the tension off a little).
    3. Use BLUE Loctite, and very very carefully, apply a tiny dab on the threads of the bridge saddle.
    4. Quickly adjust the bridge saddle, back and forth with a screwdriver, making sure the Loctite gets in there.
    5. Use the micrometer again and reset the bridge saddle back to where it originally was, per your measurement.
    6. Tune the string back to pitch, and quickly verify the intonation (which will (should) be 100% back in tune).
    7. Repeat for the remaining strings...

Let the bridge and strings sit for an hour or so before jamming!

<disclaimer>
    Regarding the Loctite stuff.... Only use the
    BLUE stuff. It is strong but can still be undone - with brute force - but it can still be broken free. The other stuff, the RED Loctite is not recommended, as that $*@& is permanent, and won't ever come loose! Believe me, I know an old hunting buddy with a nice .270 deer rifle w/scope. He wanted to change out his scope and scope mounts. Nope... No dice... Whoever the original gunsmith was at the time, used RED Loctite when the original scope & rings were mounted! D'oh! :rolleyes:
    </disclaimer>

5. Drifter

Drifter Gretschie

Dec 27, 2012
    New Jersey

Yeah I thought the Proline has better hardware but I guess maybe not the bridge.

I have had experience with a roller bridge before and it killed my sustain so I am a little worried about going that route.
    I high quality ABR/tone/adjustomatic would be fine and maybe even with brass saddles.

6. rcboals

rcboals Country Gent

Nov 21, 2008
    Springfield Oregon
    Best deal for a quality adjustomatic tunomatic style bridge is the Gotoh I prefer the Nashville ge103B over the ABR. More room for intonation and more mass real nice. For a bar bridge you can't go wrong with a Compton, or Tru Arc. The ge103b can be had for $27.00 shipped on Ebay Seller Arkansas Music Works. I have these on three guitars now and have used them many times over the years.
    eBay item number: 332054990063

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
  7. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    The ABM is not comparable to any other roller bridge regarding quality, it's high end and can easily compete with Compton and True-Arc tone wise. Btw, I have the ABM on my Panther and a True-Arc on my Falcon ;) ... so you can believe me, when I say, that the ABM is not a tone sucker or sustain killer ... the opposite is true. It improved both, tone and sustain, on my Panther.

Check out the old thread about it:

https://www.gretsch-talk.com/threads/abm-2400-rollerbridge-version-2014.111617/

jclute likes this.
  8. rcboals

rcboals Country Gent

Nov 21, 2008
    Springfield Oregon
    I have read good reviews on the ABM roller bridge at a bit over $109.00 lowest street price I could find it should be made and machined very well as reviewers have said. This is just my personal experience. I went down the roller bridge coaster several years ago. I bought and tried several all Asian made roller bridges with the exception of the Schaller made in Germany. The Asian ones were sloppy and rattled, all of them without exception sucked tone and lacked sustain. I also bought the Schaller made in Germany and it was better machined but finicky because it has an adjustment to move the saddles side to side for string spacing as well as front to back for intonation it too was a sustain tone sucker like the others. Anyway since I have figured out and am able to see to it that my nut and bridge are properly slotted they will work perfectly and have no need to consider a roller, nut sauce, graphite, or anything extra. My roller bridge experience was an attempt to cure a problem of going in and out of tune because of the use of the bigsby. Now that I know how to properly slot the nut and bridge this is not a problem.

BorderRadio likes this.
  9. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    It's superb quality, but current prices are out of this world. I payed 59€, when the 2014 version was released, but a few months later it already costed 79€. Current price in Germany is 98€ … unbelievable.

PS: But True-Arc prices are similar.

10. Drifter

Drifter Gretschie

Dec 27, 2012
    New Jersey
    I think I am going to go with the Graptech Resomax TunoMatic NV2 bridge. It should give me what I want which is better construction and less resistance for the strings and it keeps the rocking motion. Just a little too shy to spend that much on a quality roller bridge and not like it.

11. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    Understandable, but I find it relatively unlikely, because the ABM is a TOM with roller saddles with outstanding quality and sound. But yes, the current price is absolutely shocking.

12. Drifter

Drifter Gretschie

Dec 27, 2012
    New Jersey
    With all the talk about roller bridges and the need for smooth gliding nuts, has anyone installed a roller nut?

and is this a good deal for the ABM roller 2400c-RO bridge?

$89

BorderRadio likes this.
  13. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    That should be the chrome version, that currently costs 98€ even in Germany, so the price is not bad in comparison.

PS: But make sure, it's the current version, which looks like this:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/abm_rollerbridge_2400_chrom.htm

The old version looks different and is not that good.

14. Drifter

Drifter Gretschie

Dec 27, 2012
    New Jersey

Actually the $89 one is 2400-C not 2400C-RO Is there a difference?

15. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    I guess not, because when I bought mine shortly after release it was just called ABM 2400c ... the C indicated that it was the chrome version. The gold version was named 2400g.

So I think as long as it looks as in the Thomann photo, it is the current version. The former model looked like this:

[​IMG]

So it's easy to check, which version it is. The old one didn't have rounded edges and has much larger rollers.

Here's the new version again for a direct comparison:

[​IMG]

Here you can also see the only downside of this bridge ... the adjustment screws face in the pickup direction.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  16. Drifter

Drifter Gretschie

Dec 27, 2012
    New Jersey
    Yes their website (the vendor) shows the new version

17. BuddyHollywood

BuddyHollywood Gretschie

Sep 11, 2009
    Venice, CA
    I don't know if it's still like this but Gotoh was making the Adjustomatics for the Pro-lines. I don't think they were making the Electromatic bridges.

I personally don't like roller bridges. They are tone suckers. I had one on my Corvette and replaced it with the Gotoh Adjustomatic I previously had on my Duo Jet and it was a huge sonic improvement.

I've found for me the best bridge for a Gretsch guitar with a floating bridge is a Tru-Arc Serpentune.

18. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    For most roller bridges this is true, for the ABM it's absolutely untrue. The only brigdes that can compete with the ABM tone and sustain wise are the Comptons and True-Arcs. I have the ABM on my Panther and a True-Arc on my Falcon, so you can believe me ;)

19. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    You bring up a good point. For all the nerding out on bridges and Bigsby stability, you'd think a roller nut would come up too. Too much non-reversible modding, I'm guessing. I want to try one, but I also don't think there is any need to fix what isn't broke, at least for most people who just wiggle the thing. Even if used in the extreme, as I can do with my B5, the roller nut might not give me any reward for the pain and price of install.

20. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    Tuning stability on my Panther and my Falcon is superb, even with heavy Bigsby use, so a roller nut definitely is not needed. And I don't use nut sauce or graphit ... the nut is totally stock.

So in case of issues a good nut "dressing" on a bone nut should be sufficient.

BorderRadio likes this.