Acoustic pickup recommendations?

Discussion in 'The Pickup Place' started by Flouswa, Sep 8, 2019.

1. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    K&K Pure Mini for me. No batteries to worry about and a great sound.

Just about every picker in my church asks me how I get such a great acoustic sound. I’m shocked at how well a $99 pickup can deliver.

My wife has to help with installs because I can’t get my arm in the sound-hole.

Bertotti and section2 like this.
  2. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

Well great thread here, and times right. Considering some type for one of my acoustics. 3 of them are already equipped, 3 are not. One of those is my 1935 National, and it will never see a mod from me.

What has amazed me recently is how fantastic my little Gretsch 9531 sounds mic'd with a simple Shure SM-57 (or even a 58). This into my PA system (new powered speakers and mixer just got it together). So maybe I'll just mic the 3 that aren't wired. I know I started looking around a couple years ago at pickups, the popular K&K Mini really didn't do it for me. My Martin Thinline (active) on my Jumbo always did, but I haven't even plugged it in in quite awhile, need to do a bit of comparrison work.

3. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    For Reso's I'm kinda leaning to the Myers, check out RJ Ronquillo's demo on you tub.

T Bone likes this.
  4. Freshy

Freshy Synchromatic

Sep 30, 2017
    Homosassa FLA
    One of my favorite acoustic tunes. Lurve the upstroke. Never bothered to check out how he gets wired up. A bit more than Flo wants to spend?

What is that pedalboard? Its bigger than Jimmy.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

section2 and thunder58 like this.
  5. Rock Lajoint

Rock Lajoint Gretschie

Nov 16, 2014
    Sussex, England
    I have a Fishman Rare Earth Blend in my Martin DM and I'm very happy with it. It's a humbucker / internal mic combo.

Every piezo I've heard makes the guitar sound much like any other piezo equipped guitar. In fact, I'm considering a new acoustic guitar and I'm being put off by them being factory equipped with pickups that I don't want and can't change without having redundant knobs etc left behind.

blueruins likes this.
  6. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I just googled. Looks like you need to rework a bridge clamp to install it...o_O

You don't use a pre-amp or EQ?

blueruins likes this.
  7. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    It’s not complicated to install. A little Super Glue and some latex gloves do just fine.

I use a TC Electronic preamp with mine but have occasionally run it into just a direct box and still sounds good.

You can improve the sound with a preamp and eq but it’s not a necessity. The pickup gives what I would describe as a warm tone. If you like crystal chiming highs it is not the system for you. It has a fairly natural curve without any frequencies really poking out.

Top end systems like those on some Maton guitars of course perform better but I’ve been happy with the K&K for @10 years now.

The best sound is still a great microphone.

Ricochet likes this.
  8. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    Agreed. I choose an acoustic for its acoustic sound. I don’t like to buy pre installed pickups. Another reason I favor the K&K.

Bertotti likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice