Acoustic Guitars... I don't get it.

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by englishman, Jul 30, 2018.

1. pilgrim

pilgrim Country Gent

Jun 15, 2010
    Mississippi
    AMEN !

Floo likes this.
  2. pilgrim

pilgrim Country Gent

Jun 15, 2010
    Mississippi
    I always like your statements. But maybe you need your hearing checked. I stopped riding hogs when I was 17, I can hear the highs and lows better with out an amp. This all said with much admiration for you. Pilgrim

3. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    I'm kind of w/ you David.

I can sort of appreciate playing one (although I suck w/ them, like even more than electrics :oops:) and will drool at some of the nicer ones that come through the shop but I have never really got anywhere near to the same kind of GAS for an acoustic as the electrics.

My acoustic needs (which are quite modest) have been fulfilled by a lowly Yamaha FG270S I got for under $250 new w/ a decent gig bag. I've kinda sorta glanced at a few smaller bodied Taylors since I bought it, but just never really felt I "needed" another.

4. afire

afire Country Gent

I largely agree. I find acoustics generally pretty boring visually, particularly round hole flattops. But there are always exceptions...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bertotti, dak55, Flouswa and 6 others like this.
  5. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

I will admit that I like a little bit of bling on my guitars. I have to be drawn to a guitar visually, first. Maybe a little gold hardware but not mandatory), or abalone (or something similar) fret markers.

My Epiphone Masterbilt dreadnaught has special design fret markers in a faux pearl, and headstock has the Epiphone name and a design in the same faux pearl, along with body binding, a bound headstock, and fretboard. The rosette is a very simple design, but they included perfling running down the center of the back and across the bottom side at the end pin.

My Taylor 710ce grabbed me immediately with it's feel, but I also liked the gold hardware and the beautiful abalone rosette. The capper was the tone generated by the Engelman Spruce top and the Rosewood back and sides. There's just something incredible about the vibrational energy of a good acoustic guitar.

That said, all three of mine can be plugged in, as well, which I do in church.

T Bone likes this.
  6. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    I also love these Rickenbacker Jazzbo's!:cool:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

dak55, larryb, thunder58 and 4 others like this.
  7. Beardog

Beardog Gretschie

Apr 15, 2018
    Nova Scotia
    Although i enjoy my electrics more, sometimes there is nothing better than strummin' an acoustic late at night in a quiet house

larryb, thunder58, pmac11 and 3 others like this.
  8. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

Just for the record, I appreciate Eman for starting a thread that has led to a nice conversation. Some love acoustics, and some don't have that same attachment. Until Eman started this thread, I had assumed that guitar players might lean one way or the other, also would play both acoustic and electric. Like I said, this has been a good discusssion.

9. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    I have no problem and a great appreciation for a well played great sounding acoustic guitar. I’m just saying that the looks and the big box in general aren’t for me.

T Bone and Sonny Strimple like this.
  10. Sonny Strimple

Sonny Strimple Country Gent

May 8, 2011
    Western Maryland
    I'm sitting in my living room watching T.V. right now, my wife has fallen asleep. In a moment I will pick up my accoustic that is sitting next to my lounge chair and practice or try whatever comes to mind. I do this frequently. Sometimes Im bored and sometimes I get a whim to try something new that may come to mind. The accoustic is much handier for that and needs no amp. and will not bother my Wife, at least she doesn't say it does!

larryb and MrAstro like this.
  11. MrAstro

MrAstro Gretschie

Mar 5, 2015
    Sydney, NSW
    Late to this thread but they are just another sound palette to me. There are quite a few numbers that Chet did with his Gretsch in the foreground and an acoustic as padding in the background playing rhythm. There's even a few he did with a steel string acoustic - for example Liebestraum with Jerry Reed.

Then there are people like Tommy Emmanuel that use it for their main instrument.

That's the great thing and bad thing about guitars and why we can never have too many of them :rolleyes:

One thing I picked up on here is a lot of people like their simplicity for just picking them up and playing but recording them I think is more difficult than an electric imo!

12. Alberta_Slim

Alberta_Slim Gretschie

May 18, 2018
    Ontario
    Out of lurk mode for a moment, because WTF.

[​IMG]

larryb, Bertotti, dak55 and 5 others like this.
  13. fender62custom

fender62custom Gretschified

Mar 3, 2012
    Helidon, Australia
    love a beautifully voiced acoustic!! l favour Archtops & soilid bodies more aesthetically!!!

14. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    WOW ! clicked on this thread and this guitar just jumped right out at me . Beautiful

Alberta_Slim likes this.
  15. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    And now you are wondering it they make it one 12 string? Hahahaha

thunder58 likes this.
  16. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Darn right .........

Alberta_Slim and Bertotti like this.
  17. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Four Words
    Custom Shop!

thunder58 likes this.
  18. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Sorry Vista
    Admin Post
    I think I understand where you’re coming from. Flattops have never been my “thang”. My first guitar was a Harmony Master, archtop and with the exception I mention below, were I to buy an acoustic guitar, it would almost certainly be an archtop. I have used an archtop for jangly acoustic music and been happy with the sound. IIRC, somewhere there’s a recording of me playing a Country Rock tune with my Heritage Eagle playing the role of the acoustic flattie.

Currently, the closest thing I have to a pure acoustic is a Godin Nylon Duet, electric classical. My Guild T-400 is surprisingly loud, acoustically and sounds great in that role. My Gretsch archtopa are all decent acoustically, even though three of them have closed tops.

Were I to come into money, I might be tempted to buy an acoustic archtop. Probably a thinner body, 2.5” depth, in a 16” size. Then there are the “rhythm cannons”, the big, honkin’ archtops that can all but deafen acoustically. If you watch the instructional video by Ranger Doug, of Rifers in the Sky, you’ll get an earful of his Stromberg, and is sounds great for rhythm.

One last, somewhat interesting, piece of acoustic archtop trivia relates to Jim Hall’s 1976 album, Commitment, which remains one of my favorite Jazz Guitar albums. He does a song called Down The Line, which is a multitracked duet he plays with one part being played on an accoustic D’Aquisto and the second part on his electric D’Aquisto. He trades leads between the guitars, and the acoustic has quite a bite to it, when it takes the melody.

Now these, I can get into. It’s like playing a hand grenade with the pin pulled. They sound great, are interesting to look at and make a lot of sense as an acoustic, especially if you’re playing lead lines.

19. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Oh, they'll make you a Super 400 12 string but you don't wanna know the price:D

Bertotti and thunder58 like this.
  20. Stencil

Stencil Gretschie

Oct 19, 2009
    Gif-sur-Yvette, or the AF lounge
    Well, I guess that were e-man really trolling, he could be well satisfied with the number of responses.
    What's an acoustic guitar?
    Cheers,