Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Acoustic Guitars... I don't get it.

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by englishman, Jul 30, 2018.

1. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Mine is A236, i think i got it in '93 or 4 from Elderly.

T Bone likes this.
  2. hotpepper01

hotpepper01 Electromatic

Jul 1, 2018
    Netherlands
    You can take your acoustic guitar out to anywhere. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
    mrfixitmi, TheMicster, Floo and 6 others like this.
  3. Andrew Griffin

Andrew Griffin Gretschie

Oct 22, 2015
    Hi T Bone: The steel bodied reso sounds great in an open G, but I tune it GGDGBD. Yes, the bottom G is doubled, but I find that my thumb is so wired to do an alternating base that I couldn't play it as a 5 string, Keef style, and the constant repetition of the G gives me a driving sound and feek that I really like. The blue bodied reso is a brass body and it sounds good in an open E or Em, Vestapol/Skip James tuning. The plywood bodied reso I have tuned to standard. I've been messing around with C tunings too, but don't yet have the feel down. Experimenting is fun though.

T Bone likes this.
  4. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    You know, a humdinger, a doozy.....a real cracker jack.

Ricochet, Bertotti and T Bone like this.
  5. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    I just landed this used J100xtra for a $1K (a fourth the price of the 200), a J200 without the cowboy-ee thing. Oh maah gaaash, its so perfect. I ran it through the PA of a 500 seat room this last sunday w just a dr scientist reverburator and jr barnyard preamp. pure love.. so much so I left the gretsch ssu sitting on the guitar stand even for a surf number. stomped on the mystery brain and oceans 11. solid spruce top, solid bubinga back and sides w a mahogany neck, rosewood neck and bridge!
    [​IMG]

wilblee, mrfixitmi, Floo and 6 others like this.
  6. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    I learned on an electric ,never owned a really nice acoustic guitar ,i've only had two since i started playing 38 years or so ago,first one was a Hohner cutaway Jumbo which was back in the early 90's ,think it cost me £95, and the one i have now ,a wee Gretsch Americana Sundown.

I have lusted after a few though ,Gibson J200 in natural, Martin D18/D28 and those lovely Guild 12's,love the sound of acoustic 12's.
    I've played some of the most amazing Lowden's ,as you'd expect ,as they're made 21 miles from where i live,but the prices are way outta my budget and i'm not worthy of such fine instruments anyway.

I just fear i wouldn't play them as much as i should .

But i still want a Gretsch Synchromatic 400JV, but they're an arch top,so...

LivingMyDream and T Bone like this.
  7. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

Lol, wow. Your post piqued my interest. 20180731_153742.jpg 20180731_153749.jpg 20180731_153727.jpg Several things here. First, I may well have seen your guitar at Elderly. Been shopping there since they were a basement shop in East Lansing in the mid 1970s. Bought my black Martin there in 1992 (shown early in this thread). Was living in Detroit area at the time, but went to Lansing many weekends and stayed with a buddy/fellow guitarist/collector. It was browsing at Elderly that got me thinking of getting an old National. But decided it had to have a slotted headstock, and be 14 fret. Bought mine at the Detroit Guitar show around 94 or 95.

Which brings me to years. Either I remembered wrong, or corrected information has evolved since that time (I will have to dig out my old Gruhn book, not sure where it is). Seems 14 fret started in late 34, and slotted headstock is listed as "pre 1936", at least in the online source I am finding.

My serial number is C8951. The online source I see lists C7251 through C9700 as 1934, 1935. So I am still at 1935 for mine.

Sorry for the long rambling, reminiscing post! The least I can do is include a couple of pics. :D

wildeman and thunder58 like this.
  8. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

That is gorgeous! Bet it sounds so perfect.

Archtops count. He said he didn't get acoustics, not flat tops. :cool:

Henry and TV the Wired Turtle like this.
  9. Sarah93003

Sarah93003 Friend of Fred

I've had this Takamine for a number of years and it is a fantastic acoustic/electric made in Japan.

[​IMG]

This G400 was one of the best sounding acoustics I've ever owned. It could not be plugged in and I like having the cutaway.

[​IMG]

mrfixitmi, Floo, wildeman and 3 others like this.
  10. O Riley

O Riley Gretschie

Jun 2, 2018
    Sunny California
    I disagree. Acoustic guitars are beautiful.
    All of them. Each and everyone.

mrfixitmi, Bertotti, MarkyMac and 2 others like this.
  11. swivel

swivel Electromatic

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    "I just have the hardest time trying to comprehend what people see in acoustic guitars.
    Visually, they are almost all identical.
    I realize some of them sound better than others, some play better and I appreciate the construction and all that. They all just leave me cold, am I alone here?"

Your first problem is the word "LOOK". How an instrument looks is maybe 1-2% of what's important.

Flouswa likes this.
  12. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Not to me, I see guitars as art, the aesthetic is at least as important as the playability.

Henry likes this.
  13. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I'm in California so i ordered it out of VG magazine. It was 1300.00 at the time and that was a fortune! There were none to be found around here ( pre interweb), that was a hard wait for it to arrive.
    I had seen vintage one's at the San Jose guitar show but had no dough at the time, my buddy bought a '29 steel body style 0 at that show and i was extremely jealous.

T Bone likes this.
  14. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    That is indeed a '34 or 5, also has a ribbed coverplate. Son's is a '34 here.
    Screenshot_2018-07-31-17-37-44-1.png Blind Boy Fuller is playing a '36 here.

thunder58 and T Bone like this.
  15. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I love it!

16. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Wanna see drool material, this is a friggin MINT 1939 National! Screenshot_2018-07-07-03-52-04-1.png Screenshot_2018-07-07-03-52-28-1.png

wilblee, mrfixitmi, russmack and 4 others like this.
  17. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

18. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I wish! That's just something i found online, it was already sold. I don't think i've ever seen a cleaner 80yr old guitar.

T Bone likes this.
  19. Floo

Floo Country Gent

Dec 16, 2012
    Elmshorn, Germany
    To some of us, the simplicity of an acoustic without glitz and bling is the purest form of art. But again, it's a matter of personal taste and can not be discussed. I know it's not your style, but others like multiple-A-maple tops, gold hardware and loads of MOP-inlays. I don't get these.
    Some like Rembrandt, some like Mondrian. What a wonderful world :)

wabash slim likes this.
  20. pilgrim

pilgrim Country Gent

Jun 15, 2010
    Mississippi
    About 35 years ago I was talking with Mike Longworth at Martin. I told him I wanted a special stage guitar, one that would become a legend. I told him money was no object but I wanted it within a year. He suggested he send me some suggestions. After a few months we agreed on a D-45S with snowflake motif. He was going to send it to Colorado where my group was playing for a festival, I picked it up at Starrs Guitars south of Aspen. I loved it from the start. Mike said he hoped I didn't mine but he like mine so much he had one made for himself. I have posted some of my old publicity pics on here and I guess you all have seen it. After Mike passed, there was an add for Mike's snowflake 45S, they wanted bids but they started at $250,000. I NEVER HEARD WHAT IT WENT FOR. My studio burned right after my wife took everything I had, while I was having heart surgery during Christmas. That was the best and sweetest guitar I ever had. I have more than a few guitars and a few 45's but none as loud and true at the snowflake. I have never heard about it in all this time. I just think of my guitars now as investments. I love that you guys get emotionally in to your axes, wish I was young again and could do it all over. Englishman it's not the guitar, it's the person fate had it made for ! Pilgrim

mrfixitmi, russmack and LivingMyDream like this.