Acoustic Guitars... I don't get it.

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by englishman, Jul 30, 2018.

1. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

My main guitar for my church playing is a Taylor 710ce, although I occasionally use an Epiphone Masterbilt DR500mce. Both are all wood guitars, and both sound amazing, and both are dreadnaughts, with the Epiphone having a slightly deeper voice. I will occasionally play a Takamine 12-string in a band setting along side another acoustic.

I completely agree that an acoustic is something that need to be felt and heard to really find the "right one." I had tried Taylors, Martins, and Guilds, but never found the right guitar for me. Then I found a Taylor 710ce hanging on the wall of my local music store. I must have played it 10 different times, each time realizing that I had found my gem.

My electrics? Well, they can get played in the Praise Band setting, and I fully enjoy that, but the most fun I have is playing for my own enjoyment.

Here's my #1 acoustic-electric:

IMGP9728_zpskd6rnrdg.jpg

2. wilblee

wilblee Synchromatic

May 23, 2013
    TX Hill Country
    I prefer electric, in a big way, but I do loves me some acoustic.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dave-B, mrfixitmi, Sarah93003 and 4 others like this.
  3. Floo

Floo Country Gent

Dec 16, 2012
    Elmshorn, Germany
    To each his own, I say.
    When I started an acoustic ("unplugged") band 11 years ago, most folks here (edit: "here" means my neck of the woods) laughed at us and didn't see a point in it. When one of these bands invited us to do a double-gig with them, they were blown away by the energy and fun we were producing, and they had to turn up their amps to convince the crowd they were better. The encore was the two bands on opposite stages playing the same songs - they couldn't believe I was playing solos over "Pride And Joy" and "Sweet Home Alabama" on an acoustic. They never invited us again.
    Now almost every band around is doing "unplugged" gigs or using the word "unplugged" even though they play thinline electrics and solidbodies.
    Playing an acoustic often gives me a different perspective for a song, and it helps shaping the tone without effects even on electrics.
    For different looks, take a peek at Roger Bucknall's "Fylde" guitars, especially the Whisky Barrel instruments. Or Claudio Pagelli, who is more of a designer.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
  4. JCW513

JCW513 Electromatic

Sep 21, 2017
    Boston
    I'm one of those people who love both. Electric guitars are fun, because well.....They're electric.

Acoustics are great, because there is no room for error, and you can just pick up and play...

Flouswa likes this.
  5. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Just as clarification, I wasn't disparaging the use or sound of acoustic guitars. They are necessary for a lot of songs and I like the sound of a good one.
    I think a lot of it is how you started out, most learn on an acoustic I think. I never did and the ones I've owned pretty much annoyed me just because of the 'big box' thing.
    With a few exceptions, the aesthetics are limited because of function on them, they've never had much of a visual appeal to me.

6. Floo

Floo Country Gent

Dec 16, 2012
    Elmshorn, Germany
    That's one thing that can't be discussed, since beauty is in the eye of the beholder - which is a good thing to me.

thunder58 and larryb like this.
  7. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Indeed, otherwise I'd still be a bachelor.

Sarah93003, T Bone, section2 and 2 others like this.
  8. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I too started on an acoustic and have a healthy respect for acoustic players. Segovia, Kottke, Akkerman etc...but acoustics don’t pull the heart strings like electrics do. So I have a decent 40 yo Yamaha FG410(I think) dread, for when I feel like going into that direction but I seldom do.

9. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    I just have not found the right one, yet.

10. Rusty Silver

Rusty Silver Gretschie

Jun 25, 2017
    Italy (Rome and Genoa)
    I love to play my GretschJumbo...shehas a bright and strong sound that immediately make me think of country ballads... i can bring her everywhere, so she's an easy choice...

11. Andrew Griffin

Andrew Griffin Synchromatic

Oct 22, 2015
    Ha, Englishman! You're trolling, but I'll take the bait. I love acoustic guitars, even though most of them look pretty generic compared to the colorful spectrum of electrics. I even love the fact that acoustic guitars are much more limited in terms of the sounds they can produce- limitations can be like haiku where something positive is concentrated. My re-entry into the world of guitars, and my introduction to Gretsch as a brand, came when I discovered the acoustic resonator guitars. These are great instruments- well built, good looking, and possessed of a range of very appealing tones. I've got mine tuned to different tunings, and with the different bodies to lend different colors to the music as well as the different tunings that invite a range of music I'm quite happy. Plus, I really like the necks on these babies. And they can be LOUD! IMG_8069.JPG

Penguin, MTurner, thunder58 and 5 others like this.
  12. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

Love the look of that blue one! Which tunings are you using on these? I have a National. Was in open C when I bought it, been in open G since I brought it home. Always sort of miss messing with that open C tuning. Maybe I should get one of these?

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
    Andrew Griffin likes this.
  13. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Resonator's are my drool worthy objects. I'm working on a trade for a real LuLu.

Andrew Griffin likes this.
  14. speedicut

speedicut Country Gent

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    I've never cared much for acoustics either.
    The cops never showed up while I was playing one...how is that fun? :p

thunder58, T Bone and englishman like this.
  15. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Which open C, low bass blues tuning or the high bass Hawaiian style? I'm trying to get a really nice old square neck, metal body Dobro to keep in C6 Hawaiian.

T Bone likes this.
  16. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

Low/Blues in my case. It's a 1935 Duolian (14 fret, slotted headstock). Only made those in 35 and 36 (until much more recent). Bought it about 1995ish. Never tried the Hawaiian, sounds interesting.

mrfixitmi likes this.
  17. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Cool, i have a '36 Duolian, my rustbucket. 20180506_203425.jpg

mrfixitmi, thunder58 and T Bone like this.
  18. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    The one I'm working on getting is a '70s Dobro model 33. It's pretty drool worthy imo. Screenshot_2018-07-04-10-17-20-1.png Screenshot_2018-07-04-10-17-30-1.png

19. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    LuLu?

20. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

Guessing it is a late 36 then? According to my research (done in the mid 90s before I got mine) 35 was the first year for the 14 fret neck, 36 the last for the slotted headstock. My serial number puts mine in the early range Gruhn listed for those, hence the 1935 date.

Got to shoot some pics of mine, don't have any. Will do that tomorrow and post them. Looks a lot like yours except the headstock.