Acoustic Guitars... I don't get it.

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by englishman, Jul 30, 2018.

1. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    I just have the hardest time trying to comprehend what people see in acoustic guitars.
    Visually, they are almost all identical.
    I realize some of them sound better than others, some play better and I appreciate the construction and all that. They all just leave me cold, am I alone here?

ac.jpg

2. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Look at 'em all . aint they pretty IMG_0141.JPG

dcj64, rob batz, mrfixitmi and 11 others like this.
  3. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    I don't drool over the aesthetics of an acoustic....but the sweet sounds they produce, is how they get my attention.

I was just out on my patio pickin' my acoustic.....not the same experience with an electric, although my Streamliner is pretty sweet to play unplugged

4. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I agree in part. Imo beige is the most boring color, and that's what most acoustics are. But I doubt really like many of the other committees options like black or brown.

I like the grab and go of acoustics, and I got back into playing guitars when watching my kids play I the yard and bringing my old acoustic with me.

One summer I worked in a music shop and the owner always said, "have the customer sit down and play the guitar." It is practically a half hug and you can feel as much as hear the music. One reason I like hollow bodies, especially when they feed back, it's like wrasslin a wild animal.

Emmett and Charlie westside like this.
  5. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Well yes, I'd say it's the same for me...

I have no flat-top for the same reasons as yours, englishman, just 2 archtop, a G400 and a G100 :

[​IMG]

I don't play them too much - I should ! - and I keep them because they are... Nice...

Playing an acoustic guitar is an art in itself. It's not only playing a guitar. It's an another world, if I can say that. I mean : you can play wonderfully an electric and be in trouble to give the best of an acoustic.

A+!

6. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Here's a few more that have crossed my path . Sold the Taylor's . Black Fender went to Guitars4Vets and the D'Angelico I almost purchased before the Martin 12 string .

Attached Files:

mrfixitmi, T Bone and Armygirl like this.
  7. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    IMG_0897.JPG
    If I could keep only one it would most definitely be my Martin 000-18GE. The nice V neck the shape the Tone are just perfect. But in the end, it is the tone that wins me over and the fact that I do not need an amp to play it at volumes that fill my room and will still work even when I have no power, all the same reasons why I love Mandolins.

8. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Best one on the market today

Attached Files:

mrfixitmi, heinzman, LongJohn and 5 others like this.
  9. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Still have

Attached Files:

10. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny

Attached Files:

mrfixitmi and Bertotti like this.
  11. Armygirl

Armygirl Country Gent

Mar 14, 2014
    Edinburgh
    I have a couple but I don't think they are nearly as GAS worthy as any electric.... my 12 string is my fave! The others are just ... guitars.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

12. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Right back at you and if I could only keep one instrument it would be a tuff decision between this one and the Martin.
    IMG_7157.JPG IMG_7155.JPG IMG_7159.JPG

13. Freshy

Freshy Gretschie

Sep 30, 2017
    Homosassa FLA
    I think the englishman is trolling abit. His argument sounds like he is young and unaware of sonic differences. These are things he is not. A 59 Strat is no better sounding than a Squire Bullet without a 2 dollar cord and something to plug into.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
  14. Armygirl

Armygirl Country Gent

Mar 14, 2014
    Edinburgh
    Ummm.... neither of those two things actually. I think he just doesn't like acoustics, which is fair enough.....

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Bertotti and englishman like this.
  15. Lizardkinged

Lizardkinged Friend of Fred

Oct 5, 2009
    Michigan
    I learned on acoustic, but haven't ever really bonded with one more than the next. Always been more into electric. I have preferences with acoustics, but am also willing to compromise a lot more in an acoustic.

That's funny "I think englishman is trolling abit" :rolleyes:

16. Limuz

Limuz Gretschie

Sep 8, 2012
    Netherlands
    I agree that most look quite bland. My heart doesn't skip a beat when I see a Martin or Ibanez, I might not even see the difference immediately. Myself, I have two steel string acoustics in my collection - both are quite unique in their own right.

One is a Jumbo with a massive moustache-style bridge which is just plain fun and extremely loud. I'm not even sure why there is a pickup in there, because when I take it with me, you won't hear any other guitar. The other is a Gretsch Jim Dandy, pretty cheap but it sounds so... excited! It's like a determined puppy trying to show the big dogs his tricks.

17. stevemorrison

stevemorrison Synchromatic

Jun 3, 2011
    Dundee, SCOTLAND
    Acoustics meh.

Haven't found one that I liked playing, and as for a Martin D45 £8300 :eek: yeah right I could get another 3 Pro Gretschs for that and have change left over

englishman likes this.
  18. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Acoustic guitars, especially classical, have changed the least over the years. No fancy colors (or colours), varying shapes, etc... Few effects, basic amplifiers.

Charlie westside likes this.
  19. Gretschmen65

Gretschmen65 Gretschie

May 20, 2016
    Australia
    I'm with Englishman.
    My first / learning guitar was an archtop.
    I've tried one or two but always pick up an electric and always will.

Need to add that it has nothing to do with looks.

Charlie westside likes this.
  20. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

You may not be alone, but that is certainly not my opinion. And though the aesthetic differences can be minor, the beauty is in the details. And of course there can be substantial differences as well.
    20180729_202041.jpg
    20180729_202021.jpg 20180725_131353.jpg 20180725_131410.jpg
    20180725_172900.jpg 20180627_111028.jpg 20180627_111103.jpg

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018