Acoustic bigsby

Discussion in 'The Great Bigsby forum' started by Blues Playa, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Blues Playa

Blues Playa Gretschie

Jan 23, 2013
    Ohio
    I have no experience with installing bigsbys, but could i put one on my acoustic? Heres a pic

Attached Files:

2. ampe

ampe Country Gent

May 11, 2011
    belgium
    Yes you could.

3. MBERTHOLD

MBERTHOLD Country Gent

Yes ;) btw have been looking at this for my own build. Found just googling around. The saddle would need replacement for something with less friction, customized. Go for it;)

Attached Files:

4. workknot

workknot Country Gent

Feb 15, 2009
    Brainerd, Minnesota
    I would be a little concerned about putting that much downward stress on the top of a flatop guitar and will that much hardware resting on the top is that going to dampen the acoustic tone and volume?
    Pop's

5. calvin lee

calvin lee Country Gent

Jan 5, 2011
    new york
    i've seen a floyd rose on an acoustic, so i think you could put a bigsby on one. it would have to have a pretty strong top though, because all that pressure could warp the wood over time. it could be worth trying though. it would definitely sound unique.

6. Blues Playa

Blues Playa Gretschie

Jan 23, 2013
    Ohio
    You know what it was my grandpas guitar , they dont make em anymore so ill just Let it Be

7. 54club

54club Synchromatic

Mar 31, 2011
    Kelseyville, CA
    Use an archtop guitar...it'll work swell. I have done it in the past. Don't use a double roller, use a B3 or B11 or if it's a big archtop use a B6.

8. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    There were rare Gretsch models called the Nightbird (blue) and Crimson Flyer (red). They were acoustic electric models with a Bigsby.

[​IMG]

9. MBERTHOLD

MBERTHOLD Country Gent

wow that could be done to new rancher G5022C:) might need some extra work, internal work making it strong enough for bigsby. I bet a lot of folks would want something like it, maybe GreTsch would make em rollin again;)

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  10. Sakana

Sakana Gretschie

Nov 12, 2012
    Denmark
    That Crimson looks saweet!
    Would LOVE to own a blue one - never seen anything like that.

11. somebodyelseuk

somebodyelseuk Country Gent

Jan 22, 2013
    Birmingham, UK
    Hmmm???

I'm finding I bought one a couple of weeks ago... a G5420. Afterall, they are (an evolution of?) an archtop acoustic with pickups added.

Cheers.

12. MBERTHOLD

MBERTHOLD Country Gent

but they wont sound or look a bit the same, I'll have both.;) this would be louder acousticly;) and thats why I like em

13. somebodyelseuk

Jan 22, 2013
    Birmingham, UK
    On the sound, fair comment. It's not quite the same as a good J-200.
    That Yamaha with a Bigsby screwed on? I doubt it would be louder or sound better - you're damping the vibration of the top by adding a chunk of aluminium - and if you get into amplifying it via a piezo, it will pickup every last creak and squeak.
    Looks? Couldn't give a sh*t about the looks.

14. MBERTHOLD

MBERTHOLD Country Gent

Ignore my post then. If you dont care for them. He werent gonna do it on the yamaha eather. I think its sh*t cool idea anyways,,, i wouldnt use the piezo, i would use pickup like the pic!!!! Or soundhole mount because its not exactly the same. I would try to give one the same vibe. I would try getting it to work. And i thinks its a very big price step between a good j200 and the rancher g5022c aint it????? ( i hope your not comparing a gibson j200) Let ME give a sh*t about the look then

And its not about making it louder or making it sound better!! its about having a bigsby on an acoustic...

15. somebodyelseuk

Jan 22, 2013
    Birmingham, UK
    Apologies.
    I haven't had my morning coffee, yet. It's great for visual - in music video, perhaps - but from a sound and practicality point of view, I can't see the point. The Gretsch ones will have been adapted to suit, and I'd bet the unplugged sound of those isn't that good either.
    If yo're going to use a magnetic pickup, you might as well use a Gretsch 5420 etc, anyway - an acoustic with an 'electric' pickup sounds pretty much like a Gretsch.

16. MBERTHOLD

MBERTHOLD Country Gent

I would have to say that an acoustic with A pickup/ soundhole magnetic pickup would be a completley different guitar than a 5420 not ever compareable. Why would eather one have to be the better one. bigsby is not fully contact against body, its not a problem. Speaking body depth and so much more, no F-holes,floating pickguard,floating bridge its very Different. I can see the point trust me. But what ever I like it and that does it for me. ;)

17. Kmonz90

Kmonz90 Country Gent

Jan 20, 2013
    Minnesota
    cool thread a lot of good information and ideas, i really like these though they look tasty

18. plroad21

plroad21 Gretschie

Nov 12, 2011
    Charleston, SC
    Oh man I need one of those bad.

19. jflintmac

jflintmac Country Gent

I haven't seen the Gretsch acoustic with a Bigsby added to it but I am sure that it must have bracing in it and that it would not compare to a regular acoustic - unplugged. There is always going to be a tonal cost for such a modification.
    As for bolting one of these onto one's own personal acoustic guitar (what ever model) I would imagine the top would crack or seperate from the sides within the first week (or the first hour) unless some sort of internal bracing was added.

Now from an aesthetic POV (not that it should matter) I think this looks a bit silly and has been done by some one with way too much time on their hands - and money :)
    But what do I know??? :D

20. MBERTHOLD

MBERTHOLD Country Gent

Deleted post. Figured Id stick with my own thoughts and do it, for I like em;)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013