Join Gretsch-TalkToday

A whole new meaning to the term 'electric' guitar..

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by araT, Jul 10, 2009.

1. araT

araT Gretschified

I submit for your shock/horror/amusement a Les Paul struck by lightning..

http://cgi.ebay.com/GIBSON-LES-PAUL-REISSUE-FLAMETOP-85-STRUCK-BY-LIGHTNING_W0QQitemZ280364274949QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090628?IMSfp=TL090628146004r23915

[​IMG]

The guy left it in his music room, in its case & went out.. while he was out a huge storm rolled through.. lightning hit the tree outside his music room, jumped to the house & somehow to his guitar.. this is what's left... the strings were vaporised, what's left is still attached to the frets.

I think this thing should go in a museum somewhere, how much more rock n' roll can you get!?!

2. Scott

Scott Country Gent

3. Sarah93003

Sarah93003 Friend of Fred

Wow what a freaky story! I wonder if it belonged to that guy in Benjamin Button?

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. ishtar

ishtar Country Gent

Went for over $1200.. Maybe if I borrowed my friend's arc welder, I could.....

6. Sarah93003

Sarah93003 Friend of Fred

7. Synchro

Synchro Super Moderator Staff Member

That's amazing!!

8. Big Jim

Big Jim Gretschie

We were playing at a friends house back in the 50's and a storm came up . my buddy was playing a steel guitar lightning struck and knocked the steel bar out of his hand. we quit playing right then. when it clouds up now I don't pick.

9. Jukebox

Jukebox Gretschified

WOW!! I wonder if it would of hurt,if he was playing it?:)

10. BigJimSlade

BigJimSlade Banned

They say Ben Franklin was playing one of those when he discovered electricity...

11. mugsy

mugsy Synchromatic

That is too weird!

12. Squeaker

Squeaker Gretschie

Didn't Ace Frehley used to get similar results onstage with KISS back in the 70s?

13. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

almost unbelievable...the listing is a good read and the pics are a trip

wonder if his homeowners/or renters insurance covered it

14. dan P

dan P Country Gent

If he was playing her you could say he's got smokin fingers....!

15. araT

araT Gretschified

yeah, it's pretty bloody crazy isnt it! - I think if he would have been playing it he might have been OK as long as it was unplugged & he had rubber soled shoes on, if he was barefoot or plugged in he'd be as fried as the guitar! :eek:

The photos on his listing are pretty intense though! must have been a strong storm!

16. roadjunkie

roadjunkie Country Gent

That's bad mojo by me. That pond where those pics of my dog were taken. Well as a kid we were swimming one day when a quick storm blew in. We all ran up the hill into my friend's house into their unfinished basement. Lightning hit the swing in the backyard bouced up into the room hit the guys uncles foot then caught my left arm threw me across the room and into the wall. You don't want to see me during a bad storm. I'm not as bad as I used to be but I can still get bad.

17. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

Holy Shhhmokes Rj........I've never known anyone struck before. Were you seriously injured? Lasting effects?

Came very close to getting hit once.

I was flippin' for stockers in a trout pond ~15 years ago with my Godson and his Sister in the Rockies when a fast moving cell snuck up behind us. Suddenly felt a either a stepped leader that didn't connect or simply the sudden difference in potential of an impending bolt...could literally feel it...immense static.

Dropped our rods and started to scrunch down when a bolt struck a small pine behind us ~ 30 yards up the hill. Deafening and at first I thought we had been hit.

~ 10 years ago a jogger got struck and killed by a bolt a half mile from where I was working. He was with his girlfriend and was a little ways ahead of her when 'blammo'. Paper said she'd tried to convince him to knock off and seek shelter just a few minutes before.

18. roadjunkie

roadjunkie Country Gent

:rolleyes: If anything it explains a lot about me then again my parents left me in the desert when I was two! We were moving back east from Washington and Oregon. They left me at a gas station. They got several miles down the road before they figuired it out. I held that one over their heads ever since I found out about it!:D

19. bandstuff8385

bandstuff8385 Synchromatic

Hey Tara!

Looks like an easy way to "relic" a guitar.

1: Wait for T-storm
    2: Climb on barn roof
    3: Play "Stairway to Heaven"

Last edited: Jul 11, 2009
  20. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

small world...left my little Brother in a cemetary once

the Family Reunion every Memorial Weekend in Kansas that keeps me from Northwoods...

~ 38 years ago the whole multiple car parade of our family left the cemetary to head back to our rented hall. As we all re-gathered, someone asked where my little brother was. He was 4.

Raced back to the cemetary and there he was, little good lookin toe headed kid with the biggest grin you can imagine started clapping as he recognized the vehicles...time or two later in life my Father regretted going back

21. araT

araT Gretschified

I was nearly hit by lightning at boarding school.. similar story to yours Dave, I was walking over to the flag pole to raise the flags one morning, I couldn't have been more than 2 metres (5 feet or so) away, and I felt the static in the air like you.. my hair was starting to stand up on end.. I made a mad dash away from the flagpole, hit the ground, and looked over my shoulder just in time to see the bright pink/purple flash.. I was deaf for about 10 mins with heavy ringing in my ears, but I didn't get shocked at all.. it hit the pole.

Oddly enough I still LOVE severe weather, and will sit & watch a storm for hours.. but I'm always inside :p