A Telecaster. For saying that now I have a Telecaster.

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by hcsterg, Feb 15, 2020.

1. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Thanks ! ;)

In fact, I nearly have all the stuff for realizing the 2 other options : Esquire and 3PU.

Well, is the 3PU worth ? o_O I can also build a 3PU Telepartscaster...

The Esquire would be the easiest, since no extra-routing is needed in the body, so I think I'll limit my choice of option to the Esquire.

- new plain single-ply black pickguard.
    - original Tele pickguard with pickup on connector.
    - new control plate (with connectors) featuring : direct-to-jack PU, PU+Vol pot, PU+Vol+Tone pots.

Virtual Esquire-Ization :

[​IMG]

A+!

2. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Country Gent

What were the original Esquire saddles? Steel or brass?

My MIM Baja has brass ones, then I sorta think that was brass on older Fender but I may be wrong.

hcsterg likes this.
  3. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    Today's Squiers are quite good. I remember when they first came out, they were junk! I owned a '72 thinline Squier for a year or so.... while they are good, very good, it still didn't measure up to my MIA & MIM, so I sold it. And now I'm into the Cabronita thing.... still tele, just different. IDK if Squier ever made a Cab, but it would be a cool modding platform indeed...

hcsterg and emitex like this.
  4. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    There was(discontinued ‘16-ish) a Squier Vintage Modified Cabronita with Fidelitrons. Not CV quality, but after some mods can be made an admirable performer.

That being said, since I routed 2 VMs for different pickups, I noticed the wood selection leaves a lot to be desired.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
    hcsterg and ruger9 like this.
  5. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Beauty. I think I'll go play my Squier Tele now.

hcsterg and emitex like this.
  6. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    You may not have a middle pickup rout on that, my Squier does not. 15818691155341444214578.jpg

unknown fan and hcsterg like this.
  7. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    A quick operation, "end of the weekend"-like... ;)

I discovered in my drawers a used 3-pos. MIM PU selector, so I replaced it and rewired the A250K pots in the correct (conventional) sense :

[​IMG]

It's temporary : I'll do the job better later... :)

Wait and See ! ;)

A+!

8. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    I'm nearly a noob about Fender guitars subtilities, but according to my book "The Fender Telecaster" by A.R. Duchossoir, 1991, if I understand well :

- Early 1950 models had 3 steel saddles ground flat on the bottom.
    - Fall 1950 models had 3 brass saddles.
    - Late 1954 models had 3 steel saddles.
    - 1958-1968 models had "threaded" saddles.

A+!

JeffreyLeePierre likes this.
  9. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Yes - by the way, it would be logical... ;)

A+!

10. j.s.c

j.s.c Country Gent

Aug 19, 2008
    france
    tumblr_p02dfukyzI1qja9fro1_250.jpg
    Well I hate to say that but every honest man deserved a tele (or esquire) as toy.
    Could be made from anything, but it has to be there, period.

Groutsch, unknown fan, radd and 2 others like this.
  11. 64ChevSS

64ChevSS Electromatic

Dec 24, 2016
    Innisfil, Ontario
    Excellent choice - that is a beauty. Enjoy it.

hcsterg likes this.
  12. RomanS

RomanS Gretschie

May 26, 2010
    Vienna, Austria
    I vote for keeping it a regular two-pickup Tele.
    I tried the Esquire thing - not for me! I miss the middle setting with both pickups on too much, that's an essential rhythm guitar tone...
    And I also tried the Nashville Tele thing (three pickups) - but, a regular two pickup Tele can do the Strat quack tone easily, if you replace the tone pot with a push-pull type, and wire that for "half out of phase".

hcsterg and s360guitarist like this.
  13. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Yes @RomanS - that's probably what I will do : keep it as a regular 2-PU Tele, finally, once the wiring redone (this is a mess ! :confused:) and the setup top notch.

In 2009, I made a 3-PU Tele from a MIM LPB using the load of a Black Out Deluxe Tele :

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It was a fine sounding instrument, but my pick was interfering with the middle PU... o_O

A+!

14. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Electromatic

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    I bought one of the Squier Teles too and love it. The neck is amazingly good for the price and the finish is perfect. I will probably replace the hardware as needed because it plays so well.

I'd keep it a stock two pickup model too. Have you heard of the 4-way switch mod? It adds another sound option by putting the pickups in series (or parallel, I forget which). Lots of YT videos show you how-to-wire and demonstrate the sound. Fender makes a 4-way switch I've seen for $16.45 on US Ebay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Fe...ecaster-Guitar-Mod-Pickup-Switch/401138144014

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
    emitex, hcsterg and DennisC like this.
  15. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Yes, @Randy99CL : I heard about that mod that put in series the neck and bridge pickups. Thanks for the reminder and link ! ;)

Well... I'll stay classic for the moment with a Gotoh/Hosco DM-30 3-pos selector and a pair of metric 24mm A250K plain shaft ALPHA pots, actually on order. :cool:

A+!

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  16. DennisC

DennisC Synchromatic

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    I don't actually love to so say so ... but I'd wire this with the usual 2P4T and later upgraded to 4P5T, as you have one pickup switched on the hot side as regular, one on the ground side with 2P4T, leaving it hanging from hot if it's not engaged, essentially making it a hum antenna. While this is not a real flaw and works well in most cases, it isn't the best way to do and may cause ground issues or additional work.

Serial connection should be done with a fourpole switch, so you have both ends of each pickup operated seperately - nothing hangs from hot, everything is totally fine. The superb way ... if there's no real reason to do it below, don't do it below - I don't use serial connection very often, but sometimes I do and then I really like it. It's quite a remarkable set of additional balls, if one wants to put it that way.

17. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    I’ve owned my share of guitars; but, my fav....Nut’n more than a highly modified MIM tele that started life as a blond.

enjoy

F63E3A4C-C4D1-4F83-ABB2-0FF51126F44B.jpeg

18. unknown fan

unknown fan Gretschie

Aug 7, 2018
    Tn
    Congrats - everyone needs a Tele - My Brad Paisley Sig gets picked up more than any other guitar I own. I hope you play it in good health! C0E2B155-.jpg

19. Stefan87

Stefan87 Gretschie

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Congrats on the Tele, enjoy modding it.

hcsterg likes this.
  20. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    If there’s already a Tele in your collection go the Esquire route. Esquires got a different tone compared to Tellys (no magnetic deflection from a strong neck pickup). With a vintage Alnico 3 low wound pickup you get a really pure sound like no other guitar.

hcsterg likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice