Join Gretsch-Talk Today

A picture of you, today, with your latest guitar

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by TSims1, Sep 13, 2017.

1. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    I actually tried to originally buy the guitar in Ando's pic as a backup just in case, that's how much I rate this guitar. The only other Gretsch I felt like that about is the Panther.

TSims1 likes this.
  2. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

The "mudswitch" is a toggle switch located on the upper bout that alters the tone, going from bright to "muddy." Most people prefer the variability of the tone knob, so the switch has been known as the "mudswitch."

3. DaddyDog

DaddyDog Country Gent

Sep 18, 2011
    Mississauga, Canada
    I love the tone switch in modern Gretschs. Case in point, I have a 2012 Silver Falcon. Doesn't get muddy at all. Same for the 2016-17 Penguins I played recently in a shop.

benjwri likes this.
  4. Henry

Henry Friend of Fred

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I think there are a couple on reverb right now. Pricey but if it's what you want ...
    Hmm the more reasonably priced one is no longer there.

5. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

I really should clarify, I don't hate what the mud switch DOES.......I just hate where they PUT it. Right in the natural strum pattern n all. I can LIVE with it, but it makes me change the way I play and thats kinda annoying.

DaddyDog likes this.
  6. Ando

Ando Synchromatic

Aug 7, 2013
    Seoul
    It really is a proper stunner, and such a refreshing take on the old 1962 I'm sure you'd really enjoy. It's proven to be my Swiss army knife of guitars over the past few months and am amazed by the sheer variety of cleans and crunchies I'm getting out of it.

And I for one am curious if there are any other recent FSR Jets that have similar appointments, because they really are desirable improvements on this thing: The chunkier neck, pinned Adjustomatic that is admittedly hard to fault, a super thin top that makes a simply knuckle knock tell you that the thing is more hollow than it looks, and even the Schaller strap locks (albeit me being a Dunlop dude) are not a bad addition. And of course, not having an additional switch plopped down in between the pickups to get knocked about by an overenthusiastic right hand is a wonderful thing.

The Burgundy Bros. at rest ~

[​IMG]

ZackyDog, MKunie, Bertotti and 5 others like this.
  7. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Electro double Jet?

8. Pete66

Pete66 Gretschie

Nov 18, 2015
    Wyre and Fylde
    Pete and Sid Marquee London 1985.jpg 17f14b_16d29f3ef33b4bd3834188cb6ecc4ba6-mv2_d_3000_2013_s_2 (4).jpg First Gretsch, '63 Tennessean.

Latest Gretsch, 2012 Cochran.

Zeke, Waxhead, MKunie and 8 others like this.
  9. T Bone

T Bone Gretschie

Think I've seen you mention this before. Hasn't been an issue for me so far, but I do understand. FWIW, I love both the look and function of the mud switch.

Both of my Prolines have it. I find I actually use them far more than the tone knobs on my other guitars. And the two toggles together just look so dang cool.

benjwri and TSims1 like this.
  10. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

I agree with the look and function. They are cool and useful. I simply need it to be somewhere else, but the mudswitch ITSELF is great imo. Maybe I just need to deal with it and quit crying

T Bone likes this.
  11. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Very cool photo but that D chord starts at the 2nd fret

speedicut, Ando and T Bone like this.
  12. Roger49

Roger49 Country Gent

Feb 18, 2015
    Germany
    And noboby but NOBODY in Germany drinks Becks...... least you really would have to look very hard to find anybody (German!) who would admit it!

zebulon likes this.
  13. Ando

Ando Synchromatic

Aug 7, 2013
    Seoul
    Aye, but you've yet to learn the mythical behind-the-nut Ghost D!

T Bone likes this.
  14. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Friend of Fred

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    I had the opportunity to use my new Ric in a gig for the first time last Saturday. What a jangly little sweetheart.

IMG_20170926_123018.jpg

15. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Country Gent

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Bought it last Friday on the first day of Autumn-- 1942 Gretsch Syncromatic...

[​IMG]

16. LivingMyDream

Made me laugh!

17. LivingMyDream

I served a church in Murfreesboro for 7 years. Who knew that there was a Gretsch guy in town!

18. Sunshine

Sunshine Synchromatic

Jun 28, 2008
    Espoo, Finland
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
    loudnlousy and Henry like this.
  19. NicolasM

NicolasM Electromatic

Jul 17, 2013
    Switzerland
    Last saturday with my new Duo Jet 53 IMG_3083.JPG