a new "relic" guitar...

Discussion in 'Guitar & Gear Reviews' started by Naldo, May 9, 2019.

1. Naldo

Naldo Electromatic

Feb 16, 2019
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    This may have been brought up before, but I'm really curious about your thoughts.

Seems like there is a trend in relic guitars. To me this seems like buying a trophy you haven't earned. Sure they can look cool, but it's fake. Am I missing something?

hcsterg, gruffydd3, lp_bruce and 4 others like this.
  2. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Ha... I think you may have missed a few threads...
    Yeah, I don’t get it either. Allthough I did bleach and tear my Levis back in highschool, so maybe I do get part of it. :)

thunder58 and blueruins like this.
  3. radd

radd Synchromatic

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    Naldo, Naldo Naldo, Naldo.......Naldo, what are we going to do with you....

The relic trend has been a very hot topic on many guitar forums. Pick your side, arm yourself and prepare to engage the enemy.

thunder58, TSims1 and blueruins like this.
  4. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    I don't mind the ageing of hardware and nitro "crazing" but the "roadworn" relic where it looks like someone took a belt-sander to random parts of the guitar leaves me utterly cold.

5. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    My tele fat neck came to me relic’d. The price was too good. It’s not something I prefer, but it doesn’t bother me that much. Plus, i’ve played the tele I attached it to for about 10 years, so I’ve “earned” it!

6. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

Relicing doesn't do anything for me. I like new and shiney, and I try hard to keep my gear in good shape. That said, yes, I am a hobbyist that also plays in church, so my gear is not subjected to many gigs throughout the year like some others here. I don't expect my gear to relic much, so I'm content with shiney, and if I did go with a relic job, I don't think anyone would buy that I am some kind of journeyman.

Flouswa, hcsterg, thunder58 and 2 others like this.
  7. Naldo

Naldo Electromatic

Feb 16, 2019
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    Well I came here first and posted this....THEN I googled the topic. Boy did I step in it. Apparently more threads get locked on this topic than any other. So sorry about that and never mind.

8. radd

radd Synchromatic

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    I love the look of an older well played, worn, but loved guitar.

9. radd

radd Synchromatic

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz

Don’t worry about it, we are pretty civil here and the most intense battles occur in the solid body guitar forums, like the Telecaster and Strat forums I’m part of.

section2 likes this.
  10. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I approve of HONEST relics. Otherwise, it's just like those fake flight jackets with the bogus patches on them---pointless, unearned, and no more than lies.

For what a guitar costs me, I want it pristine. I'll add my own dents and scratches, thank you. They're gonna happen---but I'll be the one to make them.

Copying a famous persons guitar, especially the damage, is even more pointless. You're NOT that person, so why should you have his guitar? It won't make you sound like said person. A tribute or a signature guitar is one thing, but an abused new guitar is another.

Flouswa, hcsterg, Naldo and 1 other person like this.
  11. Merc

Merc Synchromatic

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    This forum has been pretty civil on it as usual. I don’t recall any locked on this topic even with strong opinions

12. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Let’s make this simple. It’s just an option. If you like it, buy it. If you don’t like it, then don’t buy it. I like it. I don’t mind you not liking it. :)

13. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    I love fake relics....and real ones!

14. section2

section2 Synchromatic

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    Agreed. The relic look isn't for me—I like my gear sparkly and shiny—but that's just my taste. If other people like it, great! Guitars are for making people happy. Whatever guitar makes you happy is the right guitar for you. (And hey, Springsteen has his luthier relic his new guitars. If Springsteen is cool with it, then it's cool.)

15. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    Different strokes.

section2 likes this.
  16. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I'm gonna really blow your mind............I want a 100 year old guitar that looks BRAND NEW!

Rockhead, Flouswa, hcsterg and 3 others like this.
  17. radd

radd Synchromatic

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    I’m a bicycle rider and 30+ years ago and about as many pounds ago I raced roads and crits. I must admit it cracks me up to see riders out there wearing full team kits that have never even been in a race.

new6659 and wabash slim like this.
  18. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Being civil here and just sharing my own viewpoint and reaction to some stated previously here and elsewhere, I don't understand the perspective of "you didn't earn that aesthetic look you like so you suck" that tends to pop up in these kind of threads. The furthest I gravitate towards a relic in a new guitar is a satin finish w/ checking and not shiny hardware but I fail to see how someone else who prefers their new guitar to be worn/beat up when they buy it is any different than buying a player grade used instruments or that every bit of wear on an instrument has to be "earned" to respect the person playing them.

I also (obviously) have no problem buying, putting together, or playing signature models or tribute guitars of my guitar/bass heroes either (or completely random players who I have next to zero familiarity w/ if the instrument does it for me) despite having no illusions about them making me sound like the guitarist that may have inspired them. If they're cool guitars that do good things for me functionally, why wouldn't I? I guess I'm part fan boy at heart but don't most people get inspired by the things, sounds, and players they love?

Anywho, I strongly support everyone doing their own thing w/ guitars, and liking or disliking whatever they want, and sharing their opinions. It really doesn't matter what random people on the internet think when you get right down to it but it does kinda bother me when opinions about guitars (any gear really) start traversing over into making value judgments about the people who own them ;)

Last edited: May 10, 2019
    new6659, radd and calebaaron666 like this.
  19. Chris MC

Chris MC Gretschie

Oct 27, 2014
    Orange, Aus
    You have to be polite when you have a hollow body, or some pr**k might deflate you.

new6659 likes this.
  20. Darren1982

Darren1982 Electromatic

May 4, 2019
    Uk
    When you buy an old vintage it’s been used and abused by someone else. Its got war wounds. You didn’t do it, someone else did.

I love relics when there not overdone. It means it doesn’t matter if you make more dings.

TSims1 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice