A little beauty before bed time

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by 19MGB76, Oct 19, 2018.

1. 19MGB76

19MGB76 Electromatic

Jul 31, 2018
    Minnesota
    Pleasant dreams

Bertotti and thunder58 like this.
  2. Alberta_Slim

Alberta_Slim Gretschie

May 18, 2018
    Ontario
    Beautiful! Here's one in return (and yes, it will be best to listen in the evening):

Bertotti and 19MGB76 like this.
  3. tom wolf

tom wolf Electromatic

Oct 17, 2018
    oklahoma
    yes, yes,and yes! One of my favorites is "recuerdos de la alhambra" by francisco tarrega-would post a clip, but I am sadly lacking in that area....

4. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    The skill level is intimidating.

5. 19MGB76

19MGB76 Electromatic

Jul 31, 2018
    Minnesota
    So much more than just technique at work here. She understands that it is music not something to impress with SPEED!

benjwri and tdtom like this.
  6. 19MGB76

19MGB76 Electromatic

Jul 31, 2018
    Minnesota

And a second one, since the first was so brief.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
  7. tdtom

tdtom Electromatic

Oct 26, 2018
    new zealand
    thank you MGB. the first song may have been a bit quick for bedtime though... speaking of bedtime, is your MGB put up for winter? It is spring time here in New Zealand and my MG TD is raring to go.

good choice of tunes and cars. tdtom

8. 19MGB76

19MGB76 Electromatic

Jul 31, 2018
    Minnesota
    I've had a slow leak in the driver front since early spring. It recently decided to get serious about leaking. I need to do something about it before snow (salt) flies around here.

tdtom likes this.
  9. Freshy

Freshy Gretschie

Sep 30, 2017
    Homosassa FLA
  10. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    If it's not snowing, it's orange barrel season.

11. jfassett

jfassett Gretschie

Dec 9, 2017
    Tucson
    Now I really feel like a turd as a player!

12. Freshy

Freshy Gretschie

Sep 30, 2017
    Homosassa FLA
    When Your Smiling
    for tenor and a soprano saw

13. 19MGB76

19MGB76 Electromatic

Jul 31, 2018
    Minnesota
    In a previous life I was stupid enough to play a Bach prelude in a masterclass held by Leigh Howard Stevens. I knew the instrument I was performing on (Musser 450) was just designed with his input, but I didn't know he had also just finished recording a whole slug of Bach preludes.

It went much better than it might have gone if I'd known he had just recorded the prelude I was playing.

This isn't me and I used a different sticking, but it is the prelude I did for LHS:

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
    dak55 and Freshy like this.
  14. Freshy

Freshy Gretschie

Sep 30, 2017
    Homosassa FLA
    I got to ask, how many people in Minnesota can perform on a 4.5 marimba with 4 mallets? Must be a small club. I saw a trio with marimba at the Galleria about 15 years ago play Black Orpheus. Marimba is special for South American Rhythms.

15. benjwri

benjwri Country Gent

Oct 27, 2011
    Central ON Can
    I've had a slow leak in the front for several years now...embarrassing as hall some times....
    Fortunately my exhaust is still purring...;D

MTurner and 19MGB76 like this.
  16. 19MGB76

19MGB76 Electromatic

Jul 31, 2018
    Minnesota
    Brought the wheel in to the shop today. It had a bad valve in the stem, shop replaced it for free. Just in time to re-mount and park for the salty season. I'm kind of curious if the tire I pulled off the shelf to put on while the good rubber was repaired is still holding. It was ancient when I put it away 15 years ago. Spare spares can be handy when a wheel is not normally stocked locally.

There are several at every music department in the state between the faculty and students. Few that have their own marimba though. Once graduated, most don't play again.
    That 450 was a BEAST to play. As you go lower the bars get significantly wider and your hand needs to be able to handle the spread. I've got a 4 1/3 octave Yamaha now, which is darned nice too, but a more sensible instrument, even though I seldom play it these days. My daughter is making some use of it for her school music practicing. It's just another thing I don't have time for now. I hope when I get done making a music room I get motivated to play things once in a while that aren't strictly gig related.

Freshy likes this.
  17. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    She very well could have dropped $15k on that guitar. Or more.

18. 19MGB76

19MGB76 Electromatic

Jul 31, 2018
    Minnesota
    But the hands are what makes it sing.

I can't imagine a talent more deserving of the finest instrument.

19. Tele295

Tele295 Country Gent

Jun 4, 2008
    Ventura, CA
  20. 19MGB76

19MGB76 Electromatic

Jul 31, 2018
    Minnesota
    Watch this one first to hear it performed well.

This one shows it being done by a nervous type who is mucking with it, but has a lovely view of the physical aspect of the instrument.