Join Gretsch-Talk Today

A Dream Came True! - My First US-Fender

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by dreamingGretsch, May 16, 2017.

1. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Congrats on the new sunburst! The necks on the old ones were white like that when they were new too so all you gotta do is play the heck out of it and it'll get nice and worn lookin.

Ricochet and dreamingGretsch like this.
  2. MBERTHOLD

MBERTHOLD Country Gent

I wouldnt mind, I really dig them, not the light strings they sport at music stores, Im used with 11s so the 7s? Haha, feels so weird, but I really think after a setup and new strings it would feel so much Betta!;) (speaking Teles a road worn or G&L tribute is also interesting)
    Its all good;)

dreamingGretsch likes this.
  3. dreamingGretsch

dreamingGretsch Gretschie

Oct 12, 2010
    Philippines
    And that is what exactly I will do sir!

MBERTHOLD likes this.
  4. dazzajl

dazzajl Country Gent

Apr 18, 2010
    wiltshire
    Nothing I love more that's a dream come true. Huge congrats on a lovely guitar.

MBERTHOLD likes this.
  5. Fjrabon

Fjrabon Gretschie

Mar 7, 2017
    Atlanta
    IMG_8329.JPG Seems there are quite a few Tele/Gretsch people. Something about that combo.

Said congrats on the other forum, but congrats here too!

6. musicman100

musicman100 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2008
    england
  7. dreamingGretsch

Oct 12, 2010
    Philippines
    Oh yes! I was not surprised to see you here! I really think that a Gretsch and a Fender Tele really go well in a musician's arsenal! It's always a fun time whenever I use my Gretsch.. But its always business with my tele!

Thank you!!

The Twang Machines!

[​IMG]

8. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Country Gent

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    You did the right thing.

9. Henry

Henry Friend of Fred

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Congrats on the new Tele.

Holy moly. I think that violates ADA if you're a working musician.

10. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Congrats ,that's a lovely guitar!

I too ,have been hunting for that keeper Tele for quite some time now,i had a 1988 MIJ 62 Tele Custom back in 1990,and then a 1996 US 52 reissue ,but i couldn't bond with the neck on the 52 ,which was a great sounding guitar and light as a feather ,the 62 was sold to help fund my 77 Super Chet.

The 50's Baja was the one i was going for until i played it,the neck on most of them is just too big for my hands,funny, i didn't notice the weight.
    The 60's Baja in Sonic blue was class ,but needed some work on the edges of that fingerboard,at least on the one i played, it was a little sharp edged.

Tried a nice Lake Placid Blue American Special ,but sadly those big jumbo frets are not for me.

So,the best one i've played lately was a US 64 reissue which was lovely ,i love the rounded fingerboard edges ,would like one in white with the ash body,i still have lust for that perfect 52 though.:rolleyes::D

11. Fjrabon

Fjrabon Gretschie

Mar 7, 2017
    Atlanta
    You might try one of those FSR teles that Guitar Center sells. Based on your other comments, you're never going to like anything that's remotely like a '52 Reissue because they're all going to have monstrously thick necks. The butterscotch FSR is kind of like a 52 reissue but with a thinner neck and reversed control plate.

Telechamp and JC higgy like this.
  12. dreamingGretsch

Oct 12, 2010
    Philippines
    For those wondering about the mini-skirt included with the guitar, here it is. I tried putting it on, but it's so hard to push it and make it fit. I don't want to damage or scratch the finish on the guitar, and if I ever made it, Im afraid I wont be able to take it off. I dont see it helping me with my playing though. Id still prefer the whole ashtray bridge cover over this one, but I dont know if it will fit these modern bridges.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It looks okay with or without it. but there's nothing that pokes out of the saddles, so in the guitar case it will go.

[​IMG]

13. dreamingGretsch

Oct 12, 2010
    Philippines
    I've been hunting an MIJ 62 Custom tele. it's one of dream guitars! Sadly Fender US discontinued their AV62. I really want that 62 double bound custom. that's my dream guitar!

JC higgy likes this.
  14. Aymara

Aymara Country Gent

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    I would keep it off, because it makes palm muting impossible ... I never understood this design flaw on Teles.

15. englishman

englishman Friend of Fred

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Hardly a design flaw if it's easily removable. My 74 had the large cover and it was easy to snap on or off. I guess it used to be popular to rest your hand on it without any muting.

16. Aymara

Aymara Country Gent

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    Hard to tell, if it was popular, but it seems, this was the design concept ... yeah, I remember the huge covers ;)

17. toddfan

toddfan Gretschie

Mar 12, 2012
    Kansas
    Congrats on your Am. Telecaster!

My first Strat had one of those covers....it really "dressed" the guitar up. I don't use 'em, but I kind of wish that the Strats still came with those. :D

18. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Funny though,back in 2012 when all the flash coat stuff came out i did get to try the new 52 Tele and it had a nice neck ,not too big ,but the guitar it's self was dead and dull ,which i found puzzling ,as every ash bodied Fender i've ever played rung like bell ,really resonant sounding.
    Unfortunately there hasn't been another in since then,seems most Fender aficionados would rather pay more for a Custom Shop than a reissue,or so i was told by the staff at the shop.

I did try one of those FSR Tele's with the reverse plate,really nice guitar ,but couldn't commit at the time and lost out ,again, they never got another one in.
    With a Gretsch i don't mind buying before playing as the necks are all good,Fender's on the other hand are all very different and i am hesitant to buy without playing first,i can't be bothered with the hassle of shipping it back if i don't like it.

19. Armygirl

Armygirl Country Gent

Mar 14, 2014
    Edinburgh
    How exciting! Very pleased for you!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

20. MTurner

MTurner Friend of Fred

Aug 17, 2010
    Clayton, North Carolina, USA
    Mmmm...Telecaster. Congratulations!