A Ac30 with 1 speaker?

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by noelweller, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    The Super is a fantastic amp, one that's not easy to duplicate. I still think that your Blues Jr can give you some decent sounds at low volume however. I use both a BJr and a Twin at home. I wouldn't recommend either after 9:00 PM in an apartment but if you have a decent relationship with whoever lives below you the you might be able to turn up the BJr far enough to make it sound OK. No matter what you do, look into a compressor, it makes low volumes sound like high volumes and is very neighbor-friendly.

2. noelweller

noelweller Banned

Jun 25, 2008
    schaumburg
    I just ordered new tubes per your recomendation..

3. Mark W

Mark W Country Gent

Jun 6, 2008
    Central Florida
    The AC-15 is just light of a Fender Deluxe Reverb which can cover many many gigs. It is really more in the Fender BJR territory but with a completely different gibe.

The bottom line is what you want to use it for the majority of the time.

4. Bonedaddy

Bonedaddy Banned

Jun 8, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    That really is where the rubber meets the road. When I bought the Swart STR, I was hesitant to spend 1300 bucks on a 5watt amp. But, it's hand wired, PtP, TUBE reverb and it's exactly what I wanted for home, so it was worth the coin.

5. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I'm sure you'll love it.

6. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

Hey Sync, isn't a Twin Reverb pretty much two Deluxe Reverbs in one cabinet? (The power rating is 4x, but that's because the load is cut in half with the two 12" 8 ohm speakers in parallel.)

And noell, I sure know I'd love an AC-30. With 2 of their Alnico blues.

How much lugging would you have to do with it?

Could you get your wife to haul it around for you?

In fact I'm considering putting a Celestion Alnico Gold into my Blues Jr. NOS, and taking it's Jensen C12K and stuffing it into my little Pro Jr. Kinda of a spendy speaker, but I've got about a hunerd on the books with Mf, and I'd be drastically improving 2 amps.

7. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I would see it as a big brother/little brother situation. They are actually based on the same circuit but the Twin has a variable mid-range control and the Deluxe has a fixed mid-range. The Deluxe uses a tube rectifier and the Twin uses a solid-state rectifier (it doesn't even have room for a tube recto). Besides that the power section is setup for 2 tubes on the Deluxe and 4 tubes on the Twin but they share a lot of DNA.

8. Mark W

Mark W Country Gent

Jun 6, 2008
    Central Florida
    Look at the Fender Super Champ XD. It's I guess a tube hybrid of sorts. It has dial in effects and modeling you can use or not use and it has a line out, so if you want a bigger sound you can hook it up to a cab with 12's.

The AC-30 is a great amp, but really would get you in hot water with your neighbors. THe AC-15 is a very loud amp, do not be mistaken about that. Your neighbors will not like you once you overdrive that baby either. I just picked one up new for $509. But we have a room over the Garage that is relatively well baffled and my son plays a twin and cranked up DRRI quite often with no complaints from my fellow suburbians.

Ooops...I just read you already had a Super Champ XD. Sorry to hear it crapped out. The BJr is loud enough as you know so the mods might get you where you want to go and using the compressor like MarkS suggested.

9. LeeIsLegend

LeeIsLegend Electromatic

Nov 28, 2008
    san antonio
    Screw the neighbors they don't pay your rent or mortgage for that matter.

10. noelweller

noelweller Banned

Jun 25, 2008
    schaumburg
    I already have issues with them, Being a Spurs fan in the land of the Bulls... LOL......

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice