A Ac30 with 1 speaker?

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by noelweller, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Just for perspective, the Beatles played their first tour of the US with AC-30s.

2. SJB66

SJB66 Gretschie

Jul 12, 2008
    Northern Kentucky
    Im stupid. But, I bought the AC30 for live performance really. I have used it for recording also. It is such a great amp, I love the sound. And yes it is loud, but the clarity is amazing. I really like it. Live it is incredible.
    Karl

3. Bonedaddy

Bonedaddy Banned

Jun 8, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    I didn't say it was stupid for live performances, quite the contrary; it's an amazing amp in a live scenario. However, to play at home, it's complete overkill. That was my point. ;)

4. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    There's nothing stupid about that. They are great amps. I think that the intial question about staying clean at practice volume was what elicited so much response.

5. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Not to a man that keeps a Twin in his living room. :)

6. Bonedaddy

Bonedaddy Banned

Jun 8, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    Yes, but you don't exactly live in 'urban sprawl' either. You're kind out with the crickets a bit... In my neighborhood, an AC30 on 2 would get you in dutch pretty quick with the neighbors. And let's be real, what's the point of owning a tube amp if you can't get the plate voltages up enough to make the tubes sing a little?

7. SJB66

SJB66 Gretschie

Jul 12, 2008
    Northern Kentucky
    Bonedaddy,
    No problem, I understood you. I was just being funny, because I know an AC30 in my apartement is WAY TOO! much. I have a line 6 for practice and that keeps the neighbors happy. but really I thought it was funny when I called myself stupid for having an AC30 in an apartment;)
    Karl

8. Jukebox

Jukebox Gretschified

Jun 2, 2008
    Foreston,MN
    Bonedaddy, he needs to do something to keep the snakes away!:D

9. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Actually, I've only cranked my Twin up to that point once since I had it. I usually play it clean and with a 12AY7 up front it does pretty well at home-friendly volumes.

My playing does that. :)

10. noelweller

noelweller Banned

Jun 25, 2008
    schaumburg
    Ok I am either having a bad day or I am lost... A Ac15 in an APT is too loud? if so I can understand.

That leads to. looking for a 5 watter so I can get that good tube sound in my APT.

Epiphone Valve JR stack? anyone?

Blackheart Little Giant? anyone?

Yes I am looking for a bigger speaker than the Gretsch and Fender.

11. Jukebox

Jukebox Gretschified

Jun 2, 2008
    Foreston,MN
  12. Bonedaddy

Bonedaddy Banned

Jun 8, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    I think I'd go for the Super Champ XD. It's got a master volume, and will go to 15watts with a 10" speaker. It's more than the one trick pony you get with the Epi or the Blackheart.

13. noelweller

noelweller Banned

Jun 25, 2008
    schaumburg
    I had teh super, it crapped out on me. Maybe I had a bad one, but I am not will to take that risk. a Vibro-champ XD maybe.

14. noelweller

noelweller Banned

Jun 25, 2008
    schaumburg
    Hey just because my ex said I have a blackheart doesn't mean you have to agree. Really I am leaning that way. mainly for the 5 to 3 watt switch. but i am in limbo.... and no store has one I can try out

15. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    OK, I'll give it my best shot and I promise, no kidding around on my part.

The sound coming out of an amp and the way we perceive that sound are very complex. Sound, all sound, strikes us differently at different volumes. Our ears respond differently at louder volumes. This was learned by two researchers at Bell Labs back int the 1930s. They were named Fletcher and Munson and the results of their studies are known as the Fletcher-Munson curves.

No matter what kind of amp you have it will not sound the same to your ear at low volume as it does at high volume because of the Fletcher-Munson Curves. You can, however, simulate the effect of high volume to some extent by using a compressor which (sort of) fools the ear into thinking it is hearing the compressed nature of a loud sound.

The other factor is the response of the amp. At very low volumes an amp distorts very little, there is virtually no distortion at all. This can sound harsh and unpleasant and, because we are on the low-volume side of the Fletcher-Munson Curves, we tend to hear the details and that makes it sound even worse to us.

The volume of an amp is not in direct relation to its size. A 45 watt amp is very close in volume to an 85 watt amp. In order for an amp to seem twice as loud we need 10 times as much power. (This is also related to research done in the development of telephones.) Even a 22 watt Deluxe Reverb is a pretty powerful amp, not that much less loud than a Twin Reverb. IF you want natural distortion at home even a 1 watt amp can get blaringly loud.

On the other hand, a lower gain tube at the front of the pre-amp can tame even a large amp and make it less touchy at low volumes. I routinely use a Twin Reverb at home, play it at low, living-room comfortable volumes, and it sounds fine, but I had to put a 12AY7 tube in the first pre-amp stage before I could use it that way. This is a cheap and easy mod that anyone can do, all it takes is someone experienced to tell you which tube to replace and I'm glad to help in that department. It's the first mod I do to most amps. Better yet, unless you want distortion this modification will help the amp stay cleaner at high volumes as well.

Refresh my memory, what amp do you use for gigs?

16. noelweller

noelweller Banned

Jun 25, 2008
    schaumburg
    I use a Tweed blues JR.. Lean it back and I am loud enough

17. Bonedaddy

Bonedaddy Banned

Jun 8, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    Ah yes, I remember that now. Just an FYI... I've got a 5 watt Swart STR. Let me tell you, it can get loud enough to piss off neighbors. It's a 12" combo, so bear that in mind going to a 12". Also, another thing to consider here is this; what kind of tone are you looking for? Those EL84 powered amps are gonna get gritty pretty quick. If you're ok with that, then all's good. If you want clean though, you really have to consider a smaller Fender. Even one of the Princeton Reverb Reissues could be good a lower volume - AND you get Trem and Reverb. If you haven't checked one out, by all means hot foot it over to GC. IT's an amazing amp.

18. Bonedaddy

Bonedaddy Banned

Jun 8, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    Ah hell, you're right there then, you've already got a Blue JR. Not my favorite amp, but a lot of folks seem to like them. Have you thought about saving a bunch of coin and just using an attenuator at home? Weber makes the best one going. You'll hear about the Dr. Z airbrake, but it's a resistor based attenuator; not the most natural sounding. The weber mini-mass use a speaker motor, so the feedback circuit of your amp remains intact.

19. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Visit my web site (link in my signature) and click into the Misc Topics area. There's a page about Blues Jr mods that may be of interest to you.

Two of my favorite mods are covered in the last 4 paragraphs and require almost zero technical training. I put a 12AY7 in tube 1 and a 12AT7 in tube 3. I also changed the reverb tank which requires a stubby #2 Phillips screwrdriver and about 5 minutes time. Just those two things will improve the Blues Jr, increase clean headroom and make it more living room friendly.

20. noelweller

noelweller Banned

Jun 25, 2008
    schaumburg
    If it wasn't insanely stupid to have on in a APT, I would have a Fender Super Reverb. Set that baby to 6 and I am in tone heaven. I will def go out and try a Princeton. I wanted to look at one awhile ago but wasn't in a place to buy one, now I am in a place that i would get it over the weekend If it what I am looking for.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice