68 Custom Deluxe Reverb

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by calebaaron666, Jul 17, 2019.

1. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Well, I’ve bought something on credit for the first time in my pathetic life at the age of 37!
    F933FA1D-5CD5-46A8-A8D6-5762059A1505.jpeg
    It’s a “brand new” floor model, so I got it for a pretty good deal on reverb.com with Free Shipping (that’s how I’m justifying the %29 interest ;))
    I get a Deluxe Reverb, which I’ve wanted for a long time, AND I can start building credit, like my gal tells my I should be doing.
    I ordered it tonight, so i guess I’ll find out tomorrow during business hours when i can expect it’s arrival.

Anyone else here play one of these?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
    Trash Kidd, Ricochet, j.s.c and 6 others like this.
  2. Groutsch

Groutsch Electromatic

Jun 9, 2018
    Maryland, US
    I've read good things about that model. I got a great deal on a lightly used '65 DRRI. I like it a lot, except it had a noise when I got it, and after doing some research I learned that it was a common problem because two wires are too close together. I opened the amp and pushed the wires apart and the problem is 90% solved. Otherwise, a great amp.

calebaaron666 likes this.
  3. rob batz

rob batz Synchromatic

Apr 17, 2014
    Bristol ct.
    I luv mine !! Youll have fun they are great amps!

4. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    @Groutsch That must have been nerve wracking!! Glad you got it fixed quickly and easily.
    I was all about getting a ‘65 DRRI in December, but got sidetracked when I found my Supro Tremo-Verb on craigslist for a low price. i love that amp, but played thru my friend’s old silverface pro-reverb last week, and it got me obsessed with finding a silverface fender amp. I haven’t found anything but good reviews of the ‘68 custom DRRI except that it breaks up quickly, but I like that.

Groutsch likes this.
  5. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

I had both the Blackface '65 DRRI and '68 Custom DR for a while. For me, I decided that I liked the little bit more clean headroom of the DRRI, so I got rid of the '68 Custom. Still, it was a very good amp, and I know many people that have chosen that one over the DRRI.

Congrats on your purchase!

6. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Very cool, i sold my last one, a 1975 a while back and still kinda miss it.

7. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    The Supro rules, but I want some fender amp tones in my life.

I’m already gettin’ ideas about getting an a-b box and running both the supro and the deluxe reverb together. How cool would that be?!

pmac11, MotorCentaur and j.s.c like this.
  8. PDogga

PDogga Gretschie

Jul 3, 2011
    Perth
    I got one about three weeks ago after owning a 68 Custom Princeton for about 18 months. Sold the Princeton to help pay for it. I played my first gig with it 2 nights ago and was very happy with the sound. I find my Tele sounds great through the Custom channel (with the Bassman tone stack) and my Grestch and Les Paul seem to work best through the Vintage channel. I bought new and had two to choose from. One was very noisy - lots of hiss and made some big pops when turned on and off - I have read this is very common and a lot of people accept this as being normal. The other one (the one I selected) makes hardly any hiss and absolutely no "pop" when powered on or off. I'm very happy with it so far. Congrats on the purchase - hope you like it when it arrives.

9. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Definitely cool, that would give you some headroom for sure.

10. Srellim1

Srellim1 Synchromatic

Feb 6, 2016
    Los Angeles
    I played through one provided as back line on Saturday and was surprised by how great it sounded. Enough to where I wouldn’t mind having one to sit alongside my DRRI.

ZackyDog and calebaaron666 like this.
  11. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Synchromatic

Nov 11, 2018
    Paris, north down Montmartre hill
    Congrats and longing to hear samples of your double amp'ed sound to come.

12. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Congrats....Love Fender amps!

13. stiv

stiv Synchromatic

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    I’m curious to hear what you think of it.
    I’m thinking of finally settle on a classic Fender sound after all these years experimenting, and this new 68 are the easiest to find/trade to. To be honest, I first went on the market for a point to point one but having no intention of selling both kidneys, I guess it would be either one of these or a Reissue. I just have to make my mind if it’s gonna be a Deluxe (which is a bit more “an amp” for either wattage, speaker etc.) or a Princeton (I love growling machines).

14. hogrider16

hogrider16 Gretschie

Oct 18, 2017
    charles town wv
    I've had a '65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue since they came out in the early 90's. It's been my go to amp and I use if for everything that doesn't require a Marshall.

15. CousinWarsh

CousinWarsh Gretschie

Jun 24, 2018
    Western NY
    Very nice, love Fender amps. Can’t wait to hear how you like it. I keep looking at these.

16. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    I have two of them and love them.

The hiss you hear about is most times related to the position of the volume control on the channel you are NOT using. If you are plugged into the Custom channel turn the volume on the Vintage channel to zero. Same if you’re plugged into Vintage, turn Custom to zero.

Some units have a “tick” in the Tremolo. It’s a well documented issue. If that’s the case with yours it’s generally a lead dress issue and is quite easily addressed. I could send you a video if you have that problem.

The “pop” turning the volume off is no biggie IMHO.

The few issues you MIGHT have to work through, and I stress MIGHT, are worth the small amount of effort in consideration of the end result. This is a truly fabulous amplifier IMHO.

Also, replacing the Power tubes with JJ 6V6’s and V1 and V2 with Tungsol 12AX7’s make an already good amplifier sound better.

Would love to hear your thought once you’ve played yours.

Congratulations

17. vyndance

vyndance Gretschie

Dec 12, 2014
    Bear Valley Springs, CA
    It is a great amp! Both channels are in phase so you can chain them together and have clean headroom that will break windows.

Robbie and calebaaron666 like this.
  18. Byron

Byron Synchromatic

Sep 4, 2009
    uk
    I keep wondering, should I get a Deluxe Reverb instead of just being a Supro fellah. I liked the idea of having a less generic voice....but that classic Fender sound is so fabulous. How do they compare? I had a deluxe many years ago, should have kept it

19. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    All good info, thanx!
    Once it arrives and I slap the tubes in, I plan to run it through it paces pretty hard.
    IF I find any quirks it’s good to know they’re things I can work out.
    I’m hoping it’s awhile before there’s problems though!!

20. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I LOVE my Tremo-verb. I can’t wait to run them together! I’ve found that filtertrons sound awesome thru the Supro, BUT it’s kinda bassy even with the bass knob at zero. I’m a fan of super bright tones, and the supro doesn’t seem to do that with my filtertrons. Now my tele or my 5129, on the other hand, sound amazing thru it. I suppose I could get an eq pedal, but I don’t want another pedal on my board. Plus, why spend $100 on a pedal when you can spend $900 on another amp!;)
    I’ll def compare them when the deluxe arrives

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice