'65 PRRI vs. AC 15 Limited - I cant make up my mind

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by unknown fan, Oct 27, 2019.

1. Chmason85

Chmason85 Gretschie

May 1, 2018
    Philadelphia
    I also used to have a Blues Jr. 3, and I think the 4 sounds even better, that might cure your itch for both amps in one package at a really reasonable price. I'm actually kind of jonesing for a Blues Jr. again, they're super loud and just "plug and play," no BS

unknown fan likes this.
  2. unknown fan

unknown fan Gretschie

Aug 7, 2018
    Tn
    Thanks! the 68 Custom is getting a lot of love - I hadn't really considered one but I am now.

Chmason85 likes this.
  3. unknown fan

unknown fan Gretschie

Aug 7, 2018
    Tn
    Thanks! Just curious, how would you rate those on headroom?

Chmason85 likes this.
  4. Chmason85

Chmason85 Gretschie

May 1, 2018
    Philadelphia
    Actually, if memory serves me, I initially went to my local Sam Ash to get an AC15 which was sold, then I checked out the 68 custom PRRI, but it was out of my price range, even with trading a Marshall combo, so I left with a tweed blues jr 3 and I want that back. The PRRI has tremolo that smokes the Vox, as well as better reverb. The blues jr has better reverb than the vox, but no tremolo, but slightly not as good as princeton reverb. But hey, isn't that why we have pedals lol?

unknown fan likes this.
  5. Chmason85

Chmason85 Gretschie

May 1, 2018
    Philadelphia
    My blues jr had more headroom than the 68 princeton by far. It has a 12" speaker and 15 watts, it only distorted when you hit the dirt button. The 68 PRRI starts distorting naturally at 4 to 5, but thats on channel 2, which is a more gnarly bassman channel. It also is 12 watts with a 10" speaker

6. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    The Princeton doesn't have 2 channels.

7. Chmason85

Chmason85 Gretschie

May 1, 2018
    Philadelphia
    sorry, two inputs

8. Chmason85

Chmason85 Gretschie

May 1, 2018
    Philadelphia
    When I looked it up, my 68 has two inputs and two channels; and my own two eyes arent lying to me

9. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    You've got to be talking about a Deluxe reverb not a Princeton reverb. I own both of them. A Princeton has two inputs (High/Low) on one channel. A deluxe reverb has two inputs on two channels.

10. Chmason85

Chmason85 Gretschie

May 1, 2018
    Philadelphia
    It's a 68 PRRI custom

11. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Then it's not a two channel amp. It's a one channel amp with two inputs right next to each other.
    Input one is slightly hotter than input two. Both inputs go to the same preamp tube (tube 1).
    This is taken directly from the Fender website:
    ICONIC SOUND AND STYLE
    A historically significant amp used on countless hit songs for decades. Today, the '65 Princeton Reverb is as phenomenal looking, sounding and performing as ever, and is easily versatile enough to go from the living room to the recording studio to the gig with the great sound, style, reliability and authentic vintage vibe that Fender players know and love. One of the coolest amps around, period, it's ideal for anyone who demands top-notch tube tone, naturally dynamic clean and overdriven sound, and unmistakable long-spring Fender reverb and tube vibrato.
    FEATURES
    • 12 watts
    • 10” Jensen® C10R speaker
    • Single channel and dual inputs
    • Long-spring Fender reverb and tube tremolo (“vibrato”)
    • Classic Fender look
    • Fitted cover and two-button footswitch included.

• Goodnight!

Chmason85 likes this.
  12. Chmason85

Chmason85 Gretschie

May 1, 2018
    Philadelphia
    yeah! it sounds good. I'm a chef with no time for BS lol; a kosher chef at that, but input two is the hotter one on my amp

13. Lizardkinged

Lizardkinged Friend of Fred

Oct 5, 2009
    Michigan
    I can't tell if you're trolling at this point now :) LOL

Input one has always been the hotter input in my experience with both my fender amps and every one I've played in store.

Back to the OP:
    I'd honestly look into a 68' Custom Deluxe if you're playing a lot of places and difference sized spaces. My 68' CDR breaks up fast enough, it can break up faster if I wanted it to, I find it doesn't have a ton more clean headroom (if any) than my 65' PRRI... to where I've been mulling over swapping out the 6v6S's for regular Tung-Sol 6v6gt's.

I also always liked the Vox sound but never really liked the weight and the added coloration I perceive from the AC sounds. I had the AC15 and ran it side-by side with my PRRI, but honestly found that I got very similar sound with the Tech21 sansamp Liverpool. Then when I tried the 68' CDR... I got the attack and sag/squish I liked from an AC circuit but with a Fender voicing and the deep lush reverb and Trem.

When I really want to get some work from it, the 68' CDR does actually run both channels in phase out of the box, so you can jump the channels and get a lot more clean headroom. I mean a ton. I replaced the speaker in mine with a more efficient Eminence 1258 Legend. I made a matching extension cab and tossed the stock Celestion V-type in there. I use that for more cone surface area... OR running the stock speaker by itself to get less headroom.

The PRRI is a very versatile amp still... Don't let the above change your mind at all. I still would grab mine 9/10 times.

unknown fan likes this.
  14. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    And then there is that. My friend Matt is not wrong. The 68 Custom Deluxe Reverb does bring a lot more to the table. It is a little louder but the extra channel gives it a second distinct voicing and the cab is already cut for a 12" speaker. Some people really like the existing Celestion speaker in the amp and to be sure, it is quite serviceable. However, the Eminence 1258 lifts the amp up to a new tonal plane and costs about $70 USD. After a few weeks of breaking in it is a terrific speaker in the DR. I used the same 12" speaker in my 10" 68 Princeton Reverb cab to really add a little horsepower to the 68 CPR.

So much you can do to tweak the best out of these amps but they're pretty good stock.

15. G5422T

G5422T Synchromatic

May 24, 2012
    usa
    IMO, the biggest decision for the OP, unknown fan, has to make is, what color or flavor brand amp will cover the majority of music that he plays.

Is it more Fender or Vox tones? And yes, the flavor of each changes with volume, so probably a retest of both is probably needed for all volumes.

Let's face it. Both tones are great, but each serves certain music better than the other.

Sid Nitzerglobin and Gretschtim1 like this.
  16. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    There's a mesa rectoverb 25 for $900 shipped on reverb.com. a whole lotta amp for great price and much few problems, and made in the USA. They even design and print their own PCBs in house, and build their own cabinetry.

Waxhead and unknown fan like this.
  17. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

Lol. Not to muddy the waters further! ;)

unknown fan and Henry like this.
  18. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Haven't owned a PRRI but have cranked a few of them in a full throttle band situation & am surprised at the feedback that it would hang w/ a drummer better (IME they could but any headroom was well used up by then unless you had a really light hitting drummer). By recollection, the AC15CC1 I had was one of the louder 15 watt amps I've had w/ the stock Chinese Greenback. That being said, the PRRIs I've played/checked out have seemed like nicer built amps all around, have way better verb & trem IMO, & I think I'd trust them to last a lot longer than that Vox.

If you want an AC15 of somewhat recent construction and can swing PRRI or Black Magic $ (maybe +/- $100 or so), the AC15HW1X or AC15 Heritage are the ones that have impressed me most. They'll be heavy too though (as will the Black Magic).

Tony65x55 and unknown fan like this.
  19. GretschPraise

GretschPraise Gretschie

Jun 26, 2017
    Tampa Bay
    The Vox is going to sound more like a Vox the louder you turn it up- it's a classic tone. The Princeton is Fender all the way and the cleans are great. To clarify, there are special edition versions carried by Sweetwater and MF that come with different colors of tolex and different speakers (all of them 12 inch) and there's a real significant difference and headroom when comparing a Jensen alnico to a C-Rex, to a Celestion. Also, the SE's are rated at 15 watts. I have a 65' PRRI SE and it doesn't break up until past 5. The silverfaces tend to break up a little sooner from what I hear. The Princeton has a lot of character on it's own and with an overdrive pedal in front of it. It also weighs 34 lbs if that's an issue.

20. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    My AC 15 is louder than my 68 Custom Princeton and will hang longer with a louder drummer than the Princeton.
    As far as the 68 Custom breaking up sooner than the 65 reissue that is by design. The 68 is also louder and fuller on 3 than the 65 which doesn't really sing until you reach 4-5 on the volume. A few changed cap & resistor values will change the 68 into a 65 or vise- versa. The other big factor is a speaker change but they are pretty much the same amp with a few alterations made to the 68 to give it it's own character.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice