'65 PRRI vs. AC 15 Limited - I cant make up my mind

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by unknown fan, Oct 27, 2019.

1. unknown fan

unknown fan Gretschie

Aug 7, 2018
    Tn
    Can anyone provide pro's and cons and help me out with their observations and experiences?

I've compared specs and played through both at low volume and think they both sound really good. I plan on running straight into the amp most of the time and miking at larger venues, but may occasionally put a Helix in between.
    I'm having a heck of a time deciding on the 2...

(Then of course there's always the Supro Black Magick....:D)

Thanks very much.

2. rockinforJesus

rockinforJesus Synchromatic

Nov 7, 2014
    Upstate New York
    Retubing a VOX (2-EL84’s & 3-12AX7’s, no bias adjusting) costs less than the Fender, VOX stock reverb isn’t great, but for ~$20, you can upgrade the tank, AC15 is 48lbs, stock Greenback speaker takes a bit to break in, but once it does, it sounds excellent IMHO. Both of your choices have their own unique voice. Which do you prefer?

unknown fan likes this.
  3. Lizardkinged

Lizardkinged Friend of Fred

Oct 5, 2009
    Michigan
    I've had both in my home at the same time and I've played the supro in store quite a bit, and owned a different supro for a while.

I picked the Fender. But I also got the PRRI with a factory installed 12" Crex.

unknown fan likes this.
  4. Groutsch

Groutsch Electromatic

Jun 9, 2018
    Maryland, US
    Have you tried an AC10?

TSims1 and unknown fan like this.
  5. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    You have a few other choices too. So to start, I'll say that the answer to the question is in your ears. Both of the amps you mentioned are solid performers with a long track record. I fing the Princeton is a little better at hanging in with a live drummer and weighs less than the AC15. While the PRRI is the same wattage, I find the Fender sound cuts through a mix better. Just my two cents.

Now to lead you astray. The Fender '68 Custom Princeton Reverb is better than either. If a Vox type sound is wht you are looking for the inexpensive Traynor YCV20WR provides an excellent sounding option with good parts and 12" Greenback for a bit over $700 USD. There's a couple but I know there'll be a lot more.

6. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    I'm not a fan of the Chinese Vox amps. The British made ones from the 90s were good if you could find a good one. Some of them had lame transformers that would make them sound dead. Drake transformers were inconsistent back then in both Vox and Marshall amps. I had both Marshall and Vox amps back then that suffered from that problem but I found some good ones and still have them.
    That being said all things equaled I think I'd go with the Fender 68 Custom Princeton. I will say that I'm having a bit of a problem with distortion in the Tremolo on mine that hasn't been sorted out yet. But otherwise it's a great sounding amp. Records well, sounds great with pedals. Some players think it sounds too dark for them but I personally disagree. The 65 reissue sounds too brittle to me. It has the kind of top end that is not very usable while recording. I found myself EQing those frequencies out during the mixing process. The 68 Custom has plenty of highs just a bit smoother to my ears than the 65 reissue. I never was one to turn the bright switch on on my black and silver face Fender amps - it annoys me like an ice pick in the ears but opinions will vary about this. I have a Vox Ac 15 from the 90s that I love but I think overall the Princeton is a more versatile amp with a little less head room than my AC 15 with Celestion blue speaker.

Waxhead and unknown fan like this.
  7. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Mesa Transatlantic. Fender and Vox in one.

8. MKunie

MKunie Synchromatic

Feb 8, 2012
    Vegas,USA
    Before choosing the two above, Take a close look at the Supro Blues King 12. It won my heart against the Princeton, and I was SET on a princeton, The BK is an amazing amp!

unknown fan likes this.
  9. unknown fan

unknown fan Gretschie

Aug 7, 2018
    Tn
    Thanks! I like both of em a lot - wife says can get only one :( so now I cant make up my mind lol

I like the 12" speakers a whole lot! There's not a Supro dealer close to me but I like what I've heard on YT through ear buds though. Been playing a lot of Zeppelin recently to prep for a Halloween party we played last Friday - that's what sparked my interest :)

Yes and I like them quite a bit - actually revisited one last week I'm afraid it may not have enough headroom to run the Helix on the occasions that its required. I've been wrong before though - just ask my wife ;)

That's great feedback - playing with a full band is definitely a contributing factor in my decision. That Traynor is worth checking out - not a bad price point at all. Please share any others you think are viable options por favor - Thanks!

I think I remember seeing your thread on the distortion issue with the Trem, I hope you get that sorted most Riki Tik - I definitely want to avoid both the ice pick and "boomy" ends of the spectrum for sure. Your comment on the versatility / headroom comparison is well received as well - The AC-15 Limited I've been looking at has the 12" Celestion Blue installed and I haven't been able to try one of those in person so I was curious how they compare.

Another brilliant option! I'm going to add this one to the list and also see if I can find one close to try out. Thanks for reminding me of them!

Thanks! Will do - I really like Supro's offerings. They seem like quality amps, I just need to get in a room full of em to try out and see how they take pedals.

MKunie likes this.
  10. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Mesa transatlantic used or a mesa mark v 25 or 35

Waxhead and unknown fan like this.
  11. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

This guy here knows a thing or two about amps. ;)

unknown fan and Tony65x55 like this.
  12. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Don’t forget the Fender Pro Jr either when looking at a giggable yet smaller tube amp. I totally LOVE the way a Pro Jr sounds around 5 on the dial. Sooooo spongey sweet.

unknown fan and Tony65x55 like this.
  13. G5422T

G5422T Synchromatic

May 24, 2012
    usa
    I'm no help on this, as my ears like the Vox and Plexi tone.

Guess if I had to choose between these two amps, I would go with the Vox. However, I would compare the AC10 and the AC15 to really hone in which of these would fit my needs best.

Love my AC10C1VS, but I don't gig. Best of luck on your quest.

unknown fan and TSims1 like this.
  14. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

The ONLY problem with the 15 is the doggone WEIGHT! The ONLY problem with the 10 is nothing.

TW4990, unknown fan and G5422T like this.
  15. Groutsch

Groutsch Electromatic

Jun 9, 2018
    Maryland, US
    I shouldn't say anything bad about the '65 Princeton Reverb Reissue until after I sell mine, but I do plan to sell mine because I can't find where I need to shim the cabinet to keep it from making noise when I put the volume at 7 or greater. From searching online for a solution, it seems that this problem is common. Anyone who plans to play it loud should try it loud before buying it.

unknown fan likes this.
  16. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    ...or plug it into an external cabinet.

unknown fan likes this.
  17. Chmason85

Chmason85 Gretschie

May 1, 2018
    Philadelphia
    I had a Vox AC15 twin and a 68 custom princeton reverb at the same time; the 68 PRRI remains with me as my only amp, sold the Vox a year ago out of necessity but don't really miss it. I think the fender pairs way better with my duo jet. I think the Vox put too much of its' own character on things, which sounded great with my strat, but I also sold that a week before the Vox, so I'm a one amp/one guitar guy. The only real benefit of the AC15 was the ability to get good distortion at low volume, that's assuming you want that; otherwise, the Princeton wins in my opinion

Lizardkinged and unknown fan like this.
  18. unknown fan

unknown fan Gretschie

Aug 7, 2018
    Tn
    Thanks, I'll check it out! I'm a fan of spongey too :)

Chmason85 likes this.
  19. unknown fan

unknown fan Gretschie

Aug 7, 2018
    Tn
    Thanks! I considered one of those new Marshall mini Plexi heads too. :D

20. unknown fan

unknown fan Gretschie

Aug 7, 2018
    Tn
    Thanks for the heads up, I'd like to avoid unnecessary noise if I can help it. I'll research it and see if I can find some info on it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice