'65 Fender Princeton Reissue

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by StJohn, Jun 20, 2008.

1. StJohn

StJohn Country Gent

Jun 5, 2008
    North Louisiana
    I am amazed we haven't talked about this yet....I am seriously jonesing for this amp as a home recording amp (think lower vol) or to play out in little jams with buds. It is getting rave reviews over at the FDP, and was wondering if anyone here had tried one yet?

2. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I'd love to see one in the flesh. I tried the Princeton recording amp and was disappointed, I hope this one is true to the sound of the originals.

3. RepentOrPerish

RepentOrPerish Synchromatic

Jun 4, 2008
    Minnesota
    Anything with a Fender logo on it gets rave reviews at the FDP. However, I believe they are right on this one. Unlike the Deluxe Reverb Reissue (DRRI) it doesnt sound so ear piercingly bright and nasally. That problem with the DRRI has led many to "cut the bright cap" on that amp. GC had one in new today...I messed with it a bit...sounded really nice. I dont like the detachable cord, and it seems a bit odd that it's street price is only 50 bucks less than the DRRI, but hey, that's life...

4. Pappy

Pappy Country Gent

Jun 4, 2008
    Georgia
    I'd contact Joel at Shanghai Music & Sound and get his Princeton copy. Made in the US, point to point, with a three spring reverb vs. the stock two spring reverb (with dwell control too) and at a price that won't kill you.

I plan on getting one.

5. Gretsch-Talk

Gretsch-Talk Administrator Staff Member

May 26, 2008
    Hill Country, TX
    Admin Post
    I saw and heard the new PR at Summer NAMM yesterday. It was really good sounding. I happen to own a real 1965 PR so I was anxious to hear this one. And it did not disappoint. Great sound and so familiar to me. I think this is a real winner.

I'm not surprised about the small price difference with the DRRI. It really takes the same amount of effort and material to make the PR as it does to make the DRRI.

Fender was really highlighting this amp at NAMM with their main demo guy Shane doing the demo and about 6 of them lined up on the display.

It's a printed circuit board amp, of course, but it's a great all tube amp.

6. StJohn

StJohn Country Gent

Jun 5, 2008
    North Louisiana
    There was a $100 price hike in this amp practically overnight. I think around the end of the year you will see a price more in line with its specs vs the DRRI specs. Repent, I know what you mean about eh drri brightness. When I was shopping for amps, it was a big letdown. That amp has this legend of great tone used by all the pros, but I frankly didn't hear it. I love my Custom Vibrolux Reverb as an amp to play out with, but would like to get something that can growl at lower volume for recording purposes. If the PRRI price falls in line with where it should, I might have to have a fire sale on some old gear.

7. Rory

Rory Electromatic

Jul 26, 2008
    Maui
    StJohn,

This may be stating the obvious, but have you considered a vintage Princeton amp for recording etc. I have owned a 64 Princeton for 5 years and I play it daily with no problems. Tubes and vintage replacement parts are readily available. It sounds great and the bonus is it will only go up in value. The only mod I have made is to swap out the stock speaker and save it for the future so the amp will be 100% stock.
    While vintage black face Princeton reverbs are a little inflated in price the regular Princetons are still very affordable. Just add on your favorite reverb unit and enjoy true vintage tone.

8. Bonedaddy

Bonedaddy Banned

Jun 8, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    Whether you find a Princeton (SF or BF) or a reissues, I think you cannot possibly go wrong with this amp. Unbelievably full of tone. I've got a Deluxe Reverb and will be picking up a Princeton. Yes, it sounds that good....

9. superbadj

superbadj Electromatic

Jun 3, 2008
    Roanoke
    I played the princeton reverb.

GREAT tone.

Posted via Mobile Device

10. Big Jim

Big Jim Gretschie

Jul 4, 2008
    Live Oak Florida
    everybody has a different ear play through something if you like it buy it. thats what I did.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice