63 Vibroverb Reissue or 5E3 Type: Opinions Please

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by 53Rockets, Feb 3, 2019.

1. 53Rockets

53Rockets Electromatic

Oct 14, 2018
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Hey all, attached is my current rig. I'd love to hear opinions on the following:

I play rockabilly, blues and 60's and 70's rock. I currently have the '63 Reissue pictured. Awesome amp. I've always wanted a Fender Deluxe. Fender 5E3's are out of reach financially, but i've found some great boutique versions, particularly by Headstrong and L'il Dawg. I'd still have to sell the VV. Should i keep the VV or sell to get my hands on a great 5E3 circuit amp.

Obviously there are a million variables, but i'm just interested in what other people would do in this case. No right or wrong answers, just of great interest to me.

Thanks for any opinions.

Attached Files:

JParry335 likes this.
  2. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    I‘ve played the Vibroverb some years ago and sold it. Bad idea. It‘s a superb amp and meanwhile pretty rare. Keep it!

JParry335 and Gretschmen65 like this.
  3. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Keep it, a tweed deluxe will not do what a VibroVerb does.

4. Winnie Thomas

Winnie Thomas Gretschie

Jun 13, 2011
    Cochise AZ
    Two entirely different animals. Save your money and but one as your second amp. Keep the Vibroverb

JParry335 and Gretschmen65 like this.
  5. Gretschmen65

Gretschmen65 Synchromatic

May 20, 2016
    Australia
    Absolutely no doubt in my mind. As others above said - keep the VV.

JParry335 likes this.
  6. reverb11

reverb11 Gretschie

Jun 11, 2008
    London, Ontario
    Apples and oranges. I have a Trinity Tweed Deluxe and love it, but if I'm playing a gig with a heavy-handed drummer, it is not my first choice. The Vibroverb will give you more useable headroom--especially if you want any sort of articulate clean sound. Just my experience, feel free to disagree.

JParry335 likes this.
  7. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    53rockets,

If I had a Vibroverb 63RI, I would keep it, for sure !
    I had one for servicing some years ago to attest my choice... The trem and the reverb are excellent.

But it's me, OK ?

A+!

JParry335 and reverb11 like this.
  8. swivel

swivel Gretschie

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    To me a Tweed Deluxe is a bit more of a one trick pony. A DR would be nice for sure. Or if the VV is ok power wise just keep it.

JParry335 and reverb11 like this.
  9. 53Rockets

53Rockets Electromatic

Oct 14, 2018
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Overwhelming majority (everybody) says keep the VV! That makes it a little easier to quit stalking 5E3 clones on the net.

JParry335 likes this.
  10. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    You can pick up a 5E3 clone pretty cheap if you're patient. I have a TRinity and it sounds terrific, but not with every guitar. The VV is much more versatile. I would keep it and save for the 5E3. I think I got mine of Kijiji for $800.

JParry335 likes this.
  11. 53Rockets

53Rockets Electromatic

Oct 14, 2018
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Trinity makes great amps. I had a Trinity Tramp tweed combo and foolishly sold it. It would be a perfect compliment to the VV now.

JParry335, reverb11 and pmac11 like this.
  12. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Sorry Vista
    Admin Post
    I wouldn’t let go of that Vibroverb.

JParry335 likes this.
  13. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Vibroverb for me, too. Fender Blackface sounds, and I wouldn't need any pedals at all.

JParry335 likes this.
  14. 53Rockets

53Rockets Electromatic

Oct 14, 2018
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Funny you mention not needing pedals. Last night i plugged in my tele with Don Mare pickups, no pedalboard, turned up the reverb and a slow, deep trem and it sounded amazing. To the point where i'm adding 15 minutes to my practice time of just amp/guitar/fingers to work on using the tone and volume controls of whatever guitar is in my hands.

I get so focused on the prospect of 'other' possibilities with a new piece of gear i forget about the possibilities of the gear i already have. And sometimes, just sometimes, that's all the gear you need.

new6659, JParry335 and wabash slim like this.
  15. JParry335

JParry335 Electromatic

Jan 22, 2019
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Seems to be unanimous if not a majority opinion.
    I concur. Keep that Vibroverb. Save your allowance or sell some unused or unwanted gear to sponsor the 5e3.
    I have a 1970 SF Deluxe Reverb that I’ve had since 1972. Been through several amps and also want a 5e3, but the Deluxe will never leave. Ever.

pmac11 likes this.
  16. Keep the VV. Save for the 5e3. When you’ve saved enough, look into Boothill amps. I bought a BH 5e3 and it is a great amp.

17. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    I love my 5E3 but it's not a rockabilly amp. It gets dirty too quick and doesn't have a lot of clean head room which makes it good for other types of music.

18. Axis39

Axis39 Country Gent

Jun 2, 2008
    La Quinta, CA
    I've had my VVRi for about 11 years now, I think. In that time, I've had several other amps pass through the stable... a DRRi (which the VVRi replaced), a SuperChamp XD, two (modern Fender) Excelsiors, a '73 Bassman 50 (which was awesome), a PRRi (another great amp), and a '69 Vibrolux Reverb (the one EVERYBODY claims is the greatest bar amp of all time). All of these left while the VVRi stayed.

In the meantime, I have saved pennies and added quantity in the form of three tweeds and a Marshall... A Cox Ultimate 5e3 was the first in, then a '59 Bassman Ri and finally a '58 Twin. The Marshall is one of the new Origin 20C amps.

But, the Vibroverb stays. It doesn't see as much gig time as the others. But, it still sees stage time from time to time. It also sees a good bit of studio/practice time. It is unique in what it offers, especially compared to my other amps.

I always agree with those that say every guitar player should own a 5e3 at some point in their playing life. But, I also believe every guitar player should own a brownface amp, preferably a Vibroverb at some point as well.

5e3's are much more plentiful than 6g16's. A decent clone is a lot cheaper too. I say, save your pennies and add one... Don't let that VVRi go.

19. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Country Gent

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    Stick a Wampler 57 in front of the VV to get some good tweedy sounds. The 5e3 is a great amp, but it's got real world limitations. Too loud for home use, too raunchy for stage use. I've built a couple, and compared to my Tweed Super, the Deluxe sounds small and boxy, and really needs goosing to sound good. Way too middy for Dynas and P90s and they muffle Filtertrons losing a lot of the chime.

pmac11 likes this.
  20. 53Rockets

53Rockets Electromatic

Oct 14, 2018
    Ottawa, Ontario
    I've been using a Catlinbread Formula 55 for tweed sounds, and it's as close as i need to be for now. I've always been interested in the Wampler 57 though.