6228 BT65 pickup height

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by jfassett, Jan 19, 2020.

1. jfassett

jfassett Synchromatic

Dec 9, 2017
    Tucson
    Any 6228 owners with BT65 Broadtron pickups know the correct/recommend pickup height? From the poles or the base of the pickup would be very helpful and save me a lot of time experimenting and fooling around.

Thanks!

ACL-Gretsch likes this.
  2. jfassett

jfassett Synchromatic

Dec 9, 2017
    Tucson
  3. jfassett

jfassett Synchromatic

Dec 9, 2017
    Tucson
  4. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Mine are still stock factory height. I’m not sure if they vary for each guitar with BT65. It sounded fine on mine so I left it as is. I’ll measure pickup height tomorrow to give you a starting reference so you can compare with what you’ve got now.

jfassett likes this.
  5. jfassett

jfassett Synchromatic

Dec 9, 2017
    Tucson
    Thank you so much!

6. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Here’s what I just measured from the bottom of the high and low E string to the pickup top between the pole pieces. My pole piece screws all look level. It actually looks to be right around what TV Jones recommended which is what you tried already. So you may just have to run them lower as you are now for taste.

Neck:
    3/16” both 1st and 6th

Bridge pickup:
    1st- 4.5/32”
    6th- 5/32”

I’m not sure about the difference between the stock control circuit of the 5220 and the 6228 (part of the equation). And since we all love seeing Gretsch’s...

A7E0558F-E3B9-4F8B-8D1C-298CA7628501.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    larryb and ACL-Gretsch like this.
  7. jfassett

jfassett Synchromatic

Dec 9, 2017
    Tucson
    Wow! That blue flame job looks amazing! I was going to go with the gold pick up rings and pick guard, however, that will have to wait as I’m having a hard time with the price of a gold pick guard. Definitely going to replace all the pots, particularly, the master volume, it’s inadequate. I think I lucked out with this 5220, it’s a really good piece of wood in the neck feels amazing! In addition to the pick ups, I’ve upgraded The tuners and bridge as well.
    Thanks again @Merc for the specs, I dropped my pick ups down just a notch to get rid of some of the grit.

Merc and ACL-Gretsch like this.
  8. ACL-Gretsch

ACL-Gretsch Electromatic

May 16, 2017
    Seattle, Washington
    Mine comes out to the same measurements as yours. (well, actually the 4.5 on your bridge pickup is a little more accurate than I can measure but close :)) PS, love your flamed maple in blue!

[​IMG]

new6659, Merc and jfassett like this.
  9. jfassett

jfassett Synchromatic

Dec 9, 2017
    Tucson
    Those are really beautiful guitars! I'm posting a picture of my 5220 with the upgrades so you can really appreciate what you have there, ha ! IMG_20200120_104324_hdr.jpg

new6659, larryb, Merc and 1 other person like this.
  10. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Thanks and you’re welcome. I expected it to be different than TV Jones recommended so it was interesting to measure.

The 5220 I checked out in a store played sweet, they’re really nice. They sound great stock. I considered buying one as I have to watch the little around the 6228 when it’s out. So I thought about throwing in the BT65’s in if I do. And I’m going to throw gold bezels and the pickguard on it just like you plan too. But I didn’t realize the pickguard was so much. Yours looks fantastic! I really think the metallic Cherry is a future classic color.

That Bourbons a real beaut! I was going to go for the Bourbon but the sale on blue was $600 lower. Too good to pass up. I would happily take any 6228 though. :)

jfassett and ACL-Gretsch like this.
  11. jfassett

jfassett Synchromatic

Dec 9, 2017
    Tucson
    Yeah, about $70 bucks for the pick guard, I’m kinda liking the look with no guard right now..

Merc likes this.
  12. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Is the stock 5220 pickguard painted underneath? You might be able to remove the paint and find a close match of gold spray paint. If the Gretsch wording comes off you could maybe do a see through Gretsch decal first before spraying. I think I remember someone doing it with bezels or guard before.

jfassett likes this.
  13. Gregor

Gregor Gretschie

Oct 17, 2018
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Yep, the guard is painted from the underside with an under mount decal which will be removed with the paint but spray painting after should work.

Merc and jfassett like this.
  14. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    Thanks for the timely thread. I had not adjusted the pickups yet. I found them to be a lot lower than the specs. They sound even better now at the TV Jones specs.

Oh ya, don’t ya just love being able to adjust the pickups without removing the pickguard on these Player Editions.

why not...A quick pic

544C767D-1ED1-436F-ACFA-B27621F9F4C5.jpeg

new6659, larryb, jfassett and 2 others like this.
  15. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Such a rich and classy looking green. I just love Jets!

radd likes this.
  16. jfassett

jfassett Synchromatic

Dec 9, 2017
    Tucson
    Amazing! Thanks for posting. Did your pickups get distorted at all raising the height?

17. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    I’m in a house full of people so all tests are at low volume so no distortion. As a matter of fact, much clearer and crisper, less mud.

18. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz

I came so close to getting another Eastman, the Les Paul look alike SB 59 or a Gibson Les Paul Classic; but, I’m so happy I went with the PE Jet.

Those other two PE’s are stunning

Merc and TSims1 like this.
  19. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Y’all are way too scientific for me! Lol!

In every guitar ever, I simply raise and lower pickups(and if able, pole pieces)until my ear is happy. I’ve never followed “specs” or magic numbers.

After all......who plays your guitar? YOU. Who knows what you wanna hear? YOU. How perfect! You are the best at what YOU like! ;)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice