Join Gretsch-Talk Today

62 Warmouth/Fender Jag Build

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by panhead6zero, Feb 4, 2017.

1. panhead6zero

panhead6zero Gretschie

Jan 17, 2015
    The Motor City
    redacted.jpg View attachment 76387 SO I decided it would be cool to build something after seeing E-Mans' many builds and others. I was going to go cheap"China" DIY. then I thought. Why not build something I really want. After seeing all the Man Salmon gits', I decided on a Shell Pink Fender Jaguar. For a sucky player like me, the Jag is great for Surf . View attachment 76384 DSC_0534.JPG DSC_0535.JPG I made the one piece Pick guard from .090" mint green 3 layer pick guard stock from Warmouth. Dremel and LOTS of filing/sanding! I have Gracey's paint and sealer and it still needs to be wired.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
    EdwardsKim, Sid Nitzerglobin and Floo like this.
  2. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Country Gent

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    That should turn out mighty fine! Good luck with your build!

3. panhead6zero

panhead6zero Gretschie

Jan 17, 2015
    The Motor City
    Thank you, I am hoping!

4. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Looks good to me. Warmoth makes great stuff. You're already halfway there.

5. panhead6zero

panhead6zero Gretschie

Jan 17, 2015
    The Motor City
    Thank you. I am going to use a Fender MIM neck. A local and well regarded guitar tech told me the MIM necks almost never need adjustment. It will be expensive to complete, but It will be cheaper than a real 62!

6. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Looks great man, if I can do it, anyone can!

panhead6zero likes this.
  7. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Ooooh.... that is going to be really nice. Have fun with that one!

8. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Cooool, i like it already. That pick guard looks great, did you channel out the body for the wires to the switches? Seems like it would be hard to get all that stuff to cooperate on a one piece guard.

9. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I see you got the ReRanch spray cans. I used them before and was real impressed.

10. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    I rarely see MIM Jag necks for sale, where will you get that?

11. Hammerhands

Hammerhands Country Gent

Aug 26, 2011
    Winnipeg
    Where did you get the tremolo and thumb wheels?

panhead6zero likes this.
  12. Floo

Floo Synchromatic

Dec 16, 2012
    Elmshorn, Germany
    There is only one thing to improve: take a scraper blade and put a bevelon the edge og the pickguard so the three layers are visible.
    Otherwise: this is looking really really good and I can hardly wait to see the finished Guitar!

jagROAR_63 and panhead6zero like this.
  13. panhead6zero

panhead6zero Gretschie

Jan 17, 2015
    The Motor City
    The body is routed for humbuckers which is good and bad. plenty of room, but I must fill the elongated holes cause that is where the shorter Jag pups mount.

14. panhead6zero

panhead6zero Gretschie

Jan 17, 2015
    The Motor City
    Stratosphere on Reverb has the MIM necks. They can be pricey but it will already have decals, fretwork and nut completed.

15. panhead6zero

panhead6zero Gretschie

Jan 17, 2015
    The Motor City
    I need one of those Stew Mac routers! I agree. I have a long way to go. Maybe I can find an inexpensive router bit with a roller for my drill press. I did not make a wood template. Maybe I should?! Would make routing easy.

Floo likes this.
  16. panhead6zero

panhead6zero Gretschie

Jan 17, 2015
    The Motor City
    You have to buy the mini pots and wheels separately. I got them from Darren Riley and Angela Instruments. We have a scotchbrite wheel on a pedestal grinder in our fab shop. Took the black anodize off with that. I bought the Tremolo, trem arm AND the Tip from Darren Riley. Yes, you have to buy the tip separately!

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
    Hammerhands likes this.
  17. panhead6zero

panhead6zero Gretschie

Jan 17, 2015
    The Motor City
    I am planning to solder everything in place then lift the parts to the guard. SHould be interesting.

18. panhead6zero

panhead6zero Gretschie

Jan 17, 2015
    The Motor City
    Actually they are Gracey's vintage finishes, Nitrocellulose from Madisons' Music Co. I wonder if Gracey's and ReRanch use the same Nitro supplier?

19. Floo

Floo Synchromatic

Dec 16, 2012
    Elmshorn, Germany
    You don't need to get a router bit. Just a sharp blade and some time: pull the blade with light pressure at a 45° angle along the edge of the pickguard. With a good blade, you won't have to do any sanding, it will look even better without sanding.

20. panhead6zero

panhead6zero Gretschie

Jan 17, 2015
    The Motor City
    I don't trust myself to be that steady. I used a "hurdy gurdy" deburring tool on the Pup cutouts, so I understand your method and how clean the edge is. I am worried I would dig in too much.