Join Gretsch-Talk Today

6196T Country Clubs...Who loves em??

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Bing James, Sep 10, 2017.

1. Bing James

Bing James Electromatic

Aug 30, 2017
    New York city
    What do you like best about your 6196t? I am lusting for one....

Andrew Griffin likes this.
  2. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Friend of Fred

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    I had a caddy green Country Club for a few years. It was a beautiful instrument and sounded incredible. The warm richness was a musician's delight. I found it to be a very large guitar for me, I'm not that tall. I had the opportunity to trade it straight up on a White Falcon, a guitar I had always wanted. Sadly, not only was the Falcon also too big for me I liked the CC much better.The Falcon was traded off for a sassy little center-block Anni Jr. and that is a much better fit.

But I really miss the incredible luxury of the CC.

Andrew Griffin and Bing James like this.
  3. Henry

Henry Friend of Fred

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I don't have one but the purple and gray one is one of the sweetest color combs ever IMO.

Bing James and audept like this.
  4. abeauch

abeauch Electromatic

Sep 8, 2011
    Messines, Québec
    I had a 6120 (2004) and then the 6196T (2010) a few years later. Always wanted that one for the spruce top, the scale, the zero fret (what's good for Django should be good for me...) and the non-blingy but upper-class looks. But finally, the revelation was THE SOUND. Maybe a combination of the said factors plus a bigger box, but it left the 6120 collecting dust (gave it to my brother). I rarely play in public but once, I played alone for a 100 person audience and some non-player guy told me that my guitar "sounded like an organ", then on another gig with a very good male singer, this girl comes to me and says that "your guitar just signs!". THE SOUND also means versatility which for me is going from classical, to a bit of jazz and sometimes more rocky tunes.

Also among the pluses: excellent tuning stability, overall build quality including flawless resistance to the wild humidity changes in my lakeshore house (up to 80% in the summer) located in Québec (down to 30% in the winter). In the end and after tweaks (see below), very smooth action (although my 6120 remains unbeated for that, maybe because of lower tension on strings due to shorter scale).

Nothing beiing perfect: as opposed to gypsy jazz guitars the zero fret on the CC was higher than the others for no rational reason, making the action uselessy less comfortable on the first frets. Had that fixed by my luthier. Other bug: the standby switch is a source of little to moderate hum when off. Removed the whole circuit which proved to be entierly correct to the TVJ-Gretsch diagrams, reheated some solders that looked cold a bit, but nothing to do. I finally decided to simply ignore that switch whose real utility was questionnable anyway.

Very sorry to see that the recent version has no more zero fret and a thinner body. I rehearse acousticly frequently with my big box.

I took the time to write and translate all this just because I plainly love her.

abeauch
    Messines, Québec

Mudshark and Bing James like this.
  5. Bing James

Bing James Electromatic

Aug 30, 2017
    New York city
    Thanks for your "feedback", abeauch! Much appreciated...

6. abeauch

abeauch Electromatic

Sep 8, 2011
    Messines, Québec
    Thanks to you but I made an error: body depth on the new model is still 70mm but what is gone with the zero fret is the spruce top. Incidentally, just because of that spruce top, my CC was 100g lighter than my 6120 despite the extra size of everything and extra hardware on the CC. I wonder how much weight the now maple-made top adds. Beiing fundamentally an acoustic player, I found the Gretches heavy enough like that when I turned to electric.

A last remark: though I had a few episods of rattling in the "space control" bridge (it was in the height adjustment discs (!), now I know what to do), that issue was much less annoying than on the TOM of my 6120. Had to insert artisanal rubber groomets here and there to stop that. If I had kept the guitar, I would probably had change that bridge by now.

What I like really much on the SC bridge is that I can use the spacing rollers to maximize the width between the strigs at the bridge because I mostly play with my fingers. I don't like it to be cluster in that zone. Finally, I am not so sure that pinning an SC bridge like they do on the new model (no individual intonation adjustement saddles unlike the TOM) is such a good idea. Users will tell!

To conclude: I would look for a mint used previous model and... mine IS NOT FOR SALE :)!

ABEAUCH

7. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Country Gent

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    This pic was taken when I got mine in 2012.

Pretty much says it all from my standpoint. I have many Gretsch guitars, but my CC is my six-string soulmate.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    Zeke, JC higgy, slimwilson and 2 others like this.
  8. Bing James

Bing James Electromatic

Aug 30, 2017
    New York city
    All points well taken! I have heard similar opinions on not pinning the bridge...from Setzer's guitar tech... who opts for doublesided tape.
    The one I had a chance to play is the new model 6196t-59 GE...maple top. I will tell you that it's tone is absolutely unworldly...so there ya Go!

9. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Country Gent

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    It's nice and similar to the Country Gent.

I like the Gretsch-by-Bigsby, Grover Imperials and the fact that it doesn't have a standby switch. The Cadillac Green Metallic finish is pretty cool too.

JT17051449-body-xlarge.jpg

10. wabash slim

wabash slim Country Gent

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Caddy Green! The only way it could be better was if it had Cat's Eyes. I normally don't care for gold hardware, but on these, it's perfect.

11. Bing James

Bing James Electromatic

Aug 30, 2017
    New York city
    Killer pic, brother!! Love it!

12. Bing James

Bing James Electromatic

Aug 30, 2017
    New York city
    Plus it has a nitro lacquer finish & TV Jones ....

ZackyDog likes this.
  13. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Friend of Fred

Sep 23, 2011
    Yer making me miss my old girl.

Bing James likes this.
  14. Bing James

Bing James Electromatic

Aug 30, 2017
    New York city
    Sorry, Tony....maybe it's time for a new sweetheart....?

15. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Friend of Fred

Sep 23, 2011
    Maybe that opportunity will arise Bing but it is unlikely I'll pursue it. I simply found the CC and the Falcon too big for my short-ass 5'6" frame. The 6120s are a much better fit and the Juniors and Jets are even better for me.

But that never stopped me from appreciating the quality and tone that oozed out of every pore of my CC.

Bing James likes this.
  16. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    The 6196TLH exists :

[​IMG]

Maybe one day I'll have one - it's a very nice guitar, but the price is circa 3300 Euros here, so I'll have to find one 2nd hand... One day...

A+!

Ando and Bing James like this.
  17. Bing James

Bing James Electromatic

Aug 30, 2017
    New York city
    [QUOTE="hcsterg, post: 979722,

18. Bing James

Bing James Electromatic

Aug 30, 2017
    New York city
    I'm planning on buying mine used. I can live with a few minor surface swirls. Have my eye on one right now...just waiting to see if they accept my offer...

19. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Country Gent

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    I never met a Gretsch, that I didn't like. :)

country club.jpg

Ando and Bing James like this.
  20. Bing James

Bing James Electromatic

Aug 30, 2017
    New York city
    Great ad, ZackyDog!

ZackyDog likes this.