6128-57 DUO JET from 1994

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by pickslide, Sep 10, 2019.

1. pickslide

pickslide Electromatic

Nov 15, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Looking at a used one of these. Any issues or concerns? I know the pickups are original...what's the going opinion on those 94 dynasonics?

2. ronbo

ronbo Gretschie

Feb 28, 2012
    Broomfield, Colorado
    I have a '99, so not exact, but I felt that the pickups on mine were pretty unbalanced. The neck pickup overpowered the bridge until I took the bridge pickup height so close that the magnets took the strings out of tune. Never could find the correct balance, but the tone was pretty good! The neck had a lot of deep bass and the bridge was fairly bright and bitey, so middle position rocked!

I put some TV T-Armonds in it a while ago and have never looked back. The bass in the neck pickup it a bit tighter and the trebles in the bridge aren't quite as bitey, but I find them more useable overall, and the middle position is still great!

db62 and Falcon LPB like this.
  3. Falcon LPB

Falcon LPB Electromatic

Aug 15, 2019
    Sydney, Australia
    The new ones have TVs on them. My Sydney city store has a new 'white' one with gold hardware - very nice. The plating on the TV pickups is better than that on the rest of the hardware. I actually put a very high quality liquid wax on my gold plating and it seems to stop the tarnishing - well I have a 30 year old Gibson 335 whose gold plated hardware is untarnished, I think through having that protective coat.

4. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Those are ceramic Filtertron's, i love them. I put a set in my Pro jet and they rock.

5. ronbo

ronbo Gretschie

Feb 28, 2012
    Broomfield, Colorado
    Pretty sure the '57 re-issue has dynasonics in them....

wildeman and Tele295 like this.
  6. Tele295

Tele295 Country Gent

Jun 4, 2008
    Ventura, CA
    I had the same problem with the pickups in a vintage ‘56 Duo Jet. Loved the neck pickup, but the bridge was practically useless because of the gain difference. I don’t miss that particular guitar that much, but I’d like to find a 6128-57 that I could modify with the dyna style pickups that are available today.

7. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Friend of Fred

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    The modern Dyna has the same problem as the 90s version, namely the bridge could do with being hotter. TV Jones addresses thjs with the TArmonds, with a slight mid increase to boot.

You can always get the stock Dyna rewound; about 10k should do it.

8. DaddyDog

DaddyDog Country Gent

Sep 18, 2011
    Mississauga, Canada
    Have you tried it in person? If not, ask for the weight. Mine is the heaviest Gretsch I have.

Henry likes this.
  9. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    That would have been my point, too. They where like boat anchors. (Maybe not chambered at all?)
    The quality was great, nonetheless. I would estimate that prices should go a hair above a grand.

10. pickslide

pickslide Electromatic

Nov 15, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    It's on eBay listed for around $1300 I believe. Located in Japan so can't try it out.

So newer ones are lighter?

11. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
  12. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Yes, it should. My bad.

13. pickslide

pickslide Electromatic

Nov 15, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
  14. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Friend of Fred

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
  15. bluenote23

bluenote23 Country Gent

Oct 17, 2009
    Montreal, Canada
    There seem to be three sellers selling that same guitar with prices starting at $1250.

In one listing, the weight is marked as 4.05 kg or close to 10.5 lbs. That's the weight of my too heavy Les Paul Standard. My 1997 Red Sparkle Jet is 9.5 lbs and just bearable. However, this listed weight might be the weight of the package with case.

The 57 was different from other preFMIC Gretschs with historically correct headstock and humpblocks. I think I may (and I mean 'may' because it was a long while ago) have read a reference that the weight was also more historically correct so who knows?

I would also be concerned about customs fees and brokerage fees.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice