6121 Roundup, never played or seen one, I want one!

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by radd, Feb 11, 2018.

1. radd

radd Gretschie

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz

The problem is, how they say it in real estate, location, location, location. Your in Texas, perfect guitar. Me, I live at the beach in California......How is that Beautiful guitar gonna look in a surf town?:eek:

TV Jones classics, those are the pickups I want.

I might just have to bring a little country to surf land

2. wilblee

wilblee Synchromatic

May 23, 2013
    TX Hill Country
    It was designed in Brooklyn! It's not country. It's Cowboy Kitsch. I wouldn't hesitate to play this stellar guitar anywhere. It's been in honky-tonks, steampunk clubs, island bars, German beer gardens, mega churches, rural chapels, etc., etc..

Embrace the madness!

3. Just-Joshin-Ya

Just-Joshin-Ya Gretschie

Nov 23, 2017
    WV
    I couldn't agree more! Does yours have a bit of v to the neck? Mine is different from my 6120jr but still great!

4. Just-Joshin-Ya

Just-Joshin-Ya Gretschie

Nov 23, 2017
    WV
    I seen both cactus and cattle in CA when I was there! Mostly just the desert sands of Ft. Irwin, but I did get to venture out once or twice to Venice Beach and the Hoover Dam! This guitar will fit any occasion!

radd likes this.
  5. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    And there are still real cowboys here in California - many in and around my town.

6. Wayne Gretschzky

Wayne Gretschzky Country Gent

Aug 27, 2008
    East Coast
    Here's my reissue '59-6121 with changed Bigsby, added arm-rest, and swapped Filtertron covers (with vintage). I just felt the need to add a little character. It's a great playing and sounding guitar! Next to it is an actual 1959 model year 6121 which is also a great playing and sounding guitar, but totally different then the reissue.

'59 6121 compare.JPG

Tricone, speedicut, JC higgy and 3 others like this.
  7. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    I like " after " , I like it a lot

wilblee likes this.
  8. wilblee

wilblee Synchromatic

May 23, 2013
    TX Hill Country
    Thank you. And believe me I agree. To me the 6121-FTW was a just-right mash-up of the 6121-1955 and 1959 - the leather trim, G brand, and control layout of the 1955 with the Filtertrons of the 1959. The steerhead pickguard brought in an element I really dig from the 6130. (Why doesn't every western motif'ed Gretsch get a steerhead pickguard?) I wasn't sure about the wire arm, until I got it on there. With that it all came together - looks, functionality, sound, it's all there.

thunder58 likes this.
  9. benjwri

benjwri Country Gent

Oct 27, 2011
    Central ON Can
    Right! This is the tailpiece I want! Also want the studded belt side molding!!

10. Just-Joshin-Ya

Just-Joshin-Ya Gretschie

Nov 23, 2017
    WV
    I have mine listed, if I sit and think about it I'll probably talk myself out of selling it! Never mind... I thought...

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
  11. WannaGretsch

WannaGretsch Gretschie

Oct 23, 2012
    ALASKA
    There ain't no saguaro in Texas, but I'd travel to Arizona for that guitar! :)

12. WannaGretsch

WannaGretsch Gretschie

Oct 23, 2012
    ALASKA
    OK, well I am sick in the head, but I just bought one off craigslist, NGD coming!

mbkri likes this.
  13. mbkri

mbkri Synchromatic

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    Superb. So happy for you. Post picks when it arrives.... as if you could possibly forget!!!

WannaGretsch likes this.
  14. WannaGretsch

WannaGretsch Gretschie

Oct 23, 2012
    ALASKA
    Its arrived! Local craigslist of all things! Just need to snap some pics and upload (hate that crap these days for some reason.) Anyway other things planned today, had not planned on buying a guitar to be sure! :)

mbkri likes this.
  15. Tricone

Tricone Synchromatic

Feb 9, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    Wondering in what way they are “totally different”. Of course, one has almost 60 years on the other.

16. Wayne Gretschzky

Wayne Gretschzky Country Gent

Aug 27, 2008
    East Coast
    There's an old adage that trying to describe music is like trying to dance to architecture. But when I compare the the reissue 6121-59 to the actual '59 model, the reissue is tighter, and less resonant... I can't feel the tone in my ribcage with the reissue the way I can with the vintage example. The reissue, being new, just feels more sturdy, and I'm not as careful about where or how I set it down. The reissue is shiny, and clean, and unblemished, and smells new. The vintage '59 is smoother, and quirky and full of character. The difference between the poly and lacquer isn't in the tone, but in the tactile aspects (feel). The vintage example might be slightly lighter.

17. msc_

msc_ Electromatic

Mar 29, 2014
    North Carolina
    I LOVE that guitar!

18. Just-Joshin-Ya

Just-Joshin-Ya Gretschie

Nov 23, 2017
    WV
    You'll love it!

WannaGretsch likes this.