Join Gretsch-Talk Today

6121 Roundup, never played or seen one, I want one!

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by radd, Feb 11, 2018.

1. radd

radd Gretschie

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    What is wrong with me? I’m to old to be this obsessed! I just got my first Gretsch, a nice Electromatic, a few months ago and now I’m m lusting after a guitar I have never even seen in person.

Just shoot me now, would ya please

E7A25AA5-FBDF-4388-A95E-1A857293C8F8.jpeg

msc_, benjwri, LivingMyDream and 4 others like this.
  2. Roger49

Roger49 Country Gent

Feb 18, 2015
    Germany
    Nothing wrong with you radd, you just succumed to the (nearly always non-reversable Gretsch GGAS) (Gretsch Guitar Acquisition Syndrom.)
    Don't worry, it will not pass and you will be infected for the rest of your life .... just like the rest of us......

3. johnny g

johnny g Gretschie

Sep 2, 2017
    union, ms
    No good to shoot you, you got the bug, but it is a good bug. Only cure is play one and buy it. You just can't beat that Gretsch tone.

4. T Bone

T Bone Synchromatic

Have a look at various models though. Some in that category even have a studded leather trim around the sides, IMO a very cool added feature.

5. radd

radd Gretschie

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz

I love the sound of that 55 with the studded leather trim; however, the studded leather is just a bit over the top for me.

Ya, like I should talk having bought an in your face green Gretsch:D

T Bone likes this.
  6. speedicut

speedicut Country Gent

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    I've got the 6121-1959 which doesn't have the western bling.
    It's my favorite Gretsch I own..

radd likes this.
  7. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    I need one of those 55 leather studded Dyna beauties too..........please.;)

8. bluenote23

bluenote23 Country Gent

Oct 17, 2009
    Montreal, Canada
    Just to point out that the one pictured is a preFMIC model (1989-2003) so it has the guns and arrows inlay (which is kinda cool) but the G brand is a decal and that roller bearing bridge is not so hot.

My dyna 6121 is super chambered and the lightest of my Jets at 6.8 lbs. No leather but I prefer that.

LivingMyDream and Bertotti like this.
  9. mbkri

mbkri Synchromatic

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
  10. RomanS

RomanS Gretschie

May 26, 2010
    Vienna, Austria
    I think that's the exact model that Jerry Miller, the great guitar player in Eilen Jewell's band, plays...

11. radd

radd Gretschie

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    Wow! I’m sold, I want yours

buzzanderson likes this.
  12. rob batz

rob batz Gretschie

Apr 17, 2014
    Bristol ct.
    C27D7833-198A-4CF9-8AEF-D0D356EDF149.jpeg I luv the western guitars that’s why I got this, I’d luv the solid /chambered body version so badddd!

msc_, LivingMyDream and Bertotti like this.
  13. Wayne Gretschzky

Wayne Gretschzky Country Gent

Aug 27, 2008
    East Coast
    Being the grumpy old vintage guy, as well as a devotee of the original version(s) of this model I'll just point out that the model 6121 and the Round-up were originally two similar but different guitar models. These reissue guitars having the 6121 model designation but also the Round-up name confuses the issue in my opinion. Rule of thumb... if it has a Bigsby, it's a Chet Atkins Solidbody (model 6121), if doesn't have a Bigsby then it's a Round-up (model 6130). Both are uber cool guitars! Go get you one!

mbkri and audept like this.
  14. Gretschepp

Gretschepp Electromatic

Jun 16, 2016
    rochester NY
    I love bigsby's... but to me a roundup doesn't look right without the belt buckle tailpiece. Knotty pine don't hurt my feelings either. Gretsch55_6130Setzer13135_22(1).jpg

15. National19

National19 Country Gent

Jan 4, 2014
    Ottawa Canada
    I used to have a 6121 with Dynas, I liked it a lot, but in the end I traded it for a jet. I wouldn’t mind having it back now though. Hope you find one.

16. mbkri

mbkri Synchromatic

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    Absolutely Wayne. Except Gretsch being Gretsch theres always the exception to the rule.
    There was a short period when the leather clad, western styled, solid body was produced with a Bigsby and no belt buckle or pine yet bearing the 6130 Roundup name.

LivingMyDream and Bertotti like this.
  17. radd

radd Gretschie

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    I’m getting even more confused:confused:

I’ll start looking for real in a few months and I may need to check in here to find out exactly what I’m looking for/at. I know I want the 6121 style, in the orange with the western motif without the leather trim or the belt buckle or knotty pine. I also prefer a silver bigsby. I’m not as concerned about the pickups for changing them to get the tone I want is not a big deal. I guess I also prefer the brand not to be a decal.

The 6121 I’m after is no longer made but a 6121 Chet Atkins 59 comes close but lacks the Western motif and has humbuckers I think. I love the tone of the 55, single coil I think, but once again the leather is not for me. Now having said that, I know myself well enough to know I’m very capable of changing my mind in the future and could end up with a leather bound 55.:D

I’m enjoying getting educated on this type of Gretsch, thanks

18. mbkri

mbkri Synchromatic

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    Gretsch dont make any of their guitars with a decal, its an aftermarket mod that many people do though. The western motif guitars have the indented G “brand”.

19. wilblee

wilblee Synchromatic

May 23, 2013
    TX Hill Country
    6121-FTW. Best of all worlds. Full western regalia (once I replaced the pick guard with a steerhead one) including the leather, Bigsby (I replaced the normal arm with the Chet arm), TVJ Classics. I cannot overstate how much I enjoy this guitar.

Before

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

FWIW, I didn't see one in the flesh, much less play one, before I bought it. It's barely missed a gig since then.